Mount Donovan Deua National Park

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mount Donovan Deua National Park

Postby sandym » Tue 19 Oct, 2021 1:06 pm

Like everyone I was itching to do an overnight bushwalk once the National Parks reopened for wild camping, but, I can't travel out of my region. Luckily, lots to do in my region and I had been wanting to walk up Mount Donovan in Deua National Park ever since we walked up the Burra Peaks which are south along the same ridge-line, aka as the Donovan fault line.

Left the car at noon and walked into a ridge above Oulla Creek in a couple of hours along fire trails and then a steep, bushwack down to Oulla Creek and a lovely camp. Just the burbling of the creek overnight and the black cockies. Dawn brought amazing birdsong and we were up soon after.

oulla_valley.jpg

Up and down and a bit scrambly for about 1.5 km, Mount Donovan still looking a long way away. Down to a saddle, up another spur ridge, some fairly thick bushwacking, and then the top.

donovan_and_gorge.jpg

Only a half hour stop as we still have a long way to go, all the way back down, another bushwack up to the fire trail, then many downs and ups on the fire trail and a final river crossing.

oulla_valley.jpg
Attachments
oulla_creek_doug.jpg
ridge_view_doug.jpg
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mount Donovan Deua National Park

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 19 Oct, 2021 4:27 pm

Thanks for the report. Looks like great country.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Sun 24 Oct, 2021 6:17 am

Unreal mate. Thanks for the report, not a lot of foot traffic in that area I’d imagine?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sandym » Wed 27 Oct, 2021 9:40 am

True that. We've done a few trips through the Park up some mountains, down some canyons, a stomach for long, slow bushwacks is definitely an asset.
sandym

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes