Disappearance of Old Familiar Trails

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Disappearance of Old Familiar Trails

Postby rwildman » Wed 10 Nov, 2021 2:20 pm

While there has been a warning on the NPWS website for some time, the deterioration of what were well used tracks in some of the National Parks is definitely a thing to be careful of. I think the note referred particularly to the Kanangra to Katoomba walk over Mt Cloudmaker but, after doing a walk into the middle Kowmung area last week, it seems that this is much more widespread.
I had been told that some well-known sections of the Uni Rover Trail were now indistinct, specifically the section from Kanangra to Lost Rock. I started at the other end, near Colong Caves and found the same situation there.
My understanding is that this is a combination of fires, closure of camp areas (like Batsh Camp), floods, regrowth and a lack of walkers due to covid restrictions. I stood before a big sign proclaiming the start of the Uni Rover Trail at Batsh Camp and all that was around it was solid bush, no hint of a trail. We made our way to Acetylene Spur by way of compass and guess work and found some sections totally overgrown with new young trees, very closely parked next to each other. The 'track' down the spur was no longer discernable and we sidled down to the creek ending up some 500 metres downstream from where it is supposed to end.
The point to this note is that, following the events I mentioned above, do not assume that a dotted line on a topo map is actually visible in the wild. Not that anyone ever really does!
rwildman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Disappearance of Old Familiar Trails

Postby puredingo » Wed 17 Nov, 2021 5:39 am

My observations after this winters walking is basically anything less than a established fire trail has returned to proper scrub. I've seen heavily used foot pads in a totally unrecognisable state.

This wouldn't bother too much if not for the weed issue. It really is hard work.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Disappearance of Old Familiar Trails

Postby Lindsay » Fri 19 Nov, 2021 8:24 pm

It doesn't take long for Mother Nature to reassert herself.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes