Leech Party - Great North Walk - Somersby to Yarramalong

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Leech Party - Great North Walk - Somersby to Yarramalong

Postby mashapeshkom » Sat 19 Mar, 2022 6:44 pm

We attempted the next section of the GNW today.

It's been raining a lot here on the east coast, but it's been dry for about a week now. Unfortunately, the rain started again today and was pouring. Nevertheless, our group had three English hikers, so they weren't put off by the rain.

The leeches were a different story.

Only a kilometre into the hike and we all discover about 15 leeches crawling all over our boots and legs. These suckers held on tightly. Every leech we took off we saw another starting to hitch a ride. We decided to pull out of the walk there and then, and hustled back to the car. It took about 20 minutes for all of us to clear ourselves of leeches and strip off our suspect clothing. Even after the all clear, we still found two more of them later in the day. I think in total we dealt with more than 100.

Lesson learned - be careful after big rains when it's leech party time.
mashapeshkom
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Leech Party - Great North Walk - Somersby to Yarramalong

Postby crollsurf » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 2:45 pm

Yeah, Leeches are really bad ATM, other than the sandstone plateau areas, I've been staying away from the bush around Sydney.

One spot, there was about 5 leeches per square foot, all waiving around waiting for me to walk past

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Leech Party - Great North Walk - Somersby to Yarramalong

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 22 Mar, 2022 10:44 pm

Ive found a liberal dose of picardian helps on the ankle and gaiter entry points, neck and waist. Seems to keep at least most of them at bay. It stays active even after solid walking in thick wet undergrowth. When I say it stops most.... usually one or two of the little suckers will get through..but so far this summer/autumn I havent had entire a entire platoon hitching a ride.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes