Folly Point Holland Gorge Mt Sturgiss Sassafras Update

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Folly Point Holland Gorge Mt Sturgiss Sassafras Update

Postby rwildman » Mon 20 Mar, 2023 10:41 am

Just got back from a 4 day walk through this area so I'll update each day:

Day 1: Sassafras to Folly Point. This is now finally almost 'back to normal' with the track being relatively easy to follow and quite different to what it used to be. Now you get some spectacular views which weren't possible before. The section down into the steep gully and up the other side has been gratefully cleared and easy to follow. There are four spots now at Folly Point and with all the banksia burnt, you can see the night sky. The pools are still lovely.

Day 2: Folly Point to Angel Creek Holland Creek Junction. Watsons Pass is still great but from there to the cave and creek it is 90% overgrown with no sign except for several cairns at the big rocks half way to the cave. The little 'glade' just above the cave is unrecognisable and burnt out but the cave is fine. Not too many passing through at the moment according to the log book. The track which sidles along under the cliff has disappeared which makes getting over the bouldery rills much harder than it was. Massive orchids on the rocks have survived however. The ridge leading down to the creek is also tall acacia and lots of vines. We actually took secateurs which were a real bonus in this country. The old camp site at the junction of this creek and Hollands Creek is now no longer there but I would feel it could be made again. The walk up Hollands Creek is still a pleasure and much the same as its always been. The pool and camp site at Angel Creek is also still wonderful.

Day 3: Angel Creek to Mt Elliot/Mt Sturgiss saddle. Decided to take the ridge up to Mt Elliot and yes it was also a trudge through very high and viney regrowth. I had forgotten about skirting around the cliff face half way up but it is quite reasonable and in fact someone else has been there since the fires as we found a cairn pointing off to the side of the ridge one we were above it. The narrow ridge beyond that is beautiful with much of the growth having been burnt off giving amazing views all around. But then just as it kicks up to Mt Elliot the scrub returns. Had lunch at the corner and then made our way around into the saddle. The saddle was always a bit scrubby and is now unbelievably so making it hard to clamber over rocks to get onto the flat. Having taken 7.5 hours to do the 4kms to this point and with rain pouring down the rock we decided to camp on the flat saddle section which miraculously was old burnt banksias which could easily be cleared.

Day 4: Saddle to Sassafras. Woke to a brilliant sunny day but by the time we reached the top of the 'staircase' (before the scramble) the rain was definitely on its way back. It took us about 1.5 hours to reach the top of the scramble from our start in the saddle. And then the route across Sturgiss was found (thick scrub for the first 300-400 metres from the cliff although it has always been scrubby here - now its just different scrub). The cairns started appearing along the top thankfully as the fog and the clouds had moved in. Found the exit gully but half way down decided to turn right along the ledge and not left. So we spent almost an hour looking for non-existent routes down off the cliffs until we decided to go back and follow the now obvious cairns. There was no chain on this section but we had a rope to descend the last 2 metre drop.
Hidden Valley was dense scrub although much less so along the western wall. Once out of the valley following the still existent track we headed down to the junction with the Styles Creek old road. Virtually from the cliffs at Hidden Valley to an old cleared section on the old road was thick scrub - really difficult. We bumped into a track and continually kept losing it even along the old Styles Creek road to Kilpatrick Creek. As soon as it started heading down to the creek the track became better and we landed in leech heaven in the middle of the afternoon. The 4km section from here to the 4WD track is difficult to follow and full of fallen trees across the road. The fallen trees were the real problem however as they usually meant a track diversion which was always hard to find. Finally broke out onto the road at 5:15 cold and very wet. The 13kms back to the car was ok but two points: (a) they are working on this road and have dumped large blue metal along the section from Camp Rock to Newhaven Gap which is not smooth walking and (b) about 4kms from the car they have graded the road and we were slipping and sliding in the subsequent mud struggling to make it up the last hill - the last insult. Got back to the car at 8:30 after 12.5 hours on the track.
Couldn't take many pictures as the last two days were in rain, sorry.
rwildman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Folly Point Holland Gorge Mt Sturgiss Sassafras Update

Postby crollsurf » Mon 20 Mar, 2023 11:29 am

Thanks for that. Last time I walked to Folly Point, the last kilometre hadn't been recut and had been lost to regrowth. Has someone recut that last section now?
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rwildman » Mon 20 Mar, 2023 12:07 pm

Yes it passes through burnt banksia and tall grasses but the very last section is marked well with cairns over the rocks.
rwildman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 20 Mar, 2023 12:21 pm

Thanks for the report rwildman!
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby sandym » Mon 20 Mar, 2023 4:15 pm

Fantastic and thorough report that will be helpful for all of us.

Your Budawangs weather seems so typical......
sandym

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 20 Mar, 2023 8:08 pm

Brilliant report!

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Campfire Jesus » Tue 04 Apr, 2023 8:38 pm

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a fun trip!
Campfire Jesus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sandym » Tue 18 Jul, 2023 5:22 pm

Rwildman:

Must be your Budawang report in the latest Bushwalk Magazine?

Good report. I note that you mention that the chain on Sturgiss may have melted but we found it last year so it is still there but could be hard to locate when descending in rain and wet conditions.
sandym

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 18 Jul, 2023 6:17 pm

sandym wrote:Rwildman:

Must be your Budawang report in the latest Bushwalk Magazine?

Good report. I note that you mention that the chain on Sturgiss may have melted but we found it last year so it is still there but could be hard to locate when descending in rain and wet conditions.
The one on folly point is definitely melted

Was thinking the same re the article... it's really good

EDIT by folly point I meant nearby Watson's pass

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rwildman » Fri 21 Jul, 2023 1:09 pm

Yes the report in the Bushwalking mag is the same walk but I do this one as an update for bushwalkers and the other one is an interest only article. I think articles like that may encourage casual readers to have a go and get into this country, or even part of it. Even if the task seems arduous. I am hoping there is a young audience out there reading these articles and taking up the challenge. I'm 70 and still enjoying them!
rwildman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sandym » Fri 21 Jul, 2023 6:39 pm

rwildman wrote: I am hoping there is a young audience out there reading these articles and taking up the challenge. I'm 70 and still enjoying them!

Aren't we all :D
sandym

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes