Mt Jagungal and environs, trip report

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Jagungal and environs, trip report

Postby tcornall » Sun 27 Aug, 2023 12:23 pm

In the Shadow of Mount Jugular
A wee bit of whimsical hyperbole and poetic licence in the title. Just a smidge.

This is a trip report for four days of alpine touring I did in the Snowy Mountains in NSW with ski-buddy Gordon on 11/9/22. Remember last year, when we still had good snow in Sept? It's a bit late because I was hoping to get it published but although they liked it, the publishers said they couldn't use it because it had been 'exposed' on my website https://terrycornall.wixsite.com/website . So you get to read it instead.

We rolled into the Island Bend campsite not far from Guthega Power Station (GPS) in the Sunday evening after driving up from Gippsland Victoria and after a lovely mashup of sausages and veggies hit the sack under Gordon's basecamp pyramid tent. It was a bit breezy and chilly but I was plenty snug in my Western Mountaineering Antelope GWS alpine bag and despite being beaten about the head a bit by the flappy tent I got a good sleep, lulled by the rushy sounds of water from the Snow River nearby. The GWS stands for Gore Wind Stopper and although it adds a tiny bit of weight and also makes the bag a bit harder to compress, it adds water repellency and resistance to chilly breezes to an already great big poofy warm bag. Rated to -15 C I'd trust it down to -10 happily.

We rose next morning after sleeping past the alarm, a trend that I am happy to report continued for the entire trip. Packing up and heading for the Power Station we arrived shortly and then got the trip truly underway. It was a bit grey and dreary and that continued all day with maybe short bits of sunshine. The snow conditions meant we could don skis only after a short climb out of Power Station and we skied more or less without having to take them off more than a few times to cross gnarly bits where the snow had turned to dirt or been washed out by small tributaries. We had some navigating fun in the snow flurries and poor visibility, not at all aided by my photochromatic smart-glasses deciding that they should stay blacked out even though the sun was hidden. Cold will do that to them, I have found. Eventually I swapped to better-behaved stupid glasses that just stayed clear all the time and then I could read the damn InReach Explorer + satnav and Fenix 7 watch properly. More by good fortune and Gordon's instincts than my navigation we did end up on the Horse Camp Aqueduct track that stayed fairly high above the Munyang River. The only other adventurer about was a young chap with snowshoes who left the Power Station at the same time as we did and made it all the way to White's River Hut and met us again on his way back to the carpark before we were even halfway to the hut. He was powering along on his snowshoes compared to us old plodders with packs on skis. A wee bit of decision making at the weir that marked the end of the Aqueduct track and then we were onto the Schlink Pass Road and a short hop from Whites River Hut. We considered going on to the Schlink Hilton, but decided that enough was enough and it was time for a brew and some sleep. We had the hut to ourselves that night. I took this photo from the dunny in the middle of the night, just lit by moonlight. Amazed that it came out so well. Good 'ol Google Pixel 5 smartphone.

PXL_20220912_143211092.jpg

Next day the weather was fine with a smattering of new snow and the sunscreen and my buff came out to keep the sun off my head without being too hot. Gordon made do with a triangular bandage tied around his pate which made him look like an escapee from a trauma ward but served the purpose. I still managed to get the tip of my nose and my temples where the snow goggles didn't quite meet the buff badly burned. My small beard (grown over the Covid period as a sort of passive aggressive protest at being locked in) helped shade my face but I decided it had to go as soon as the trip was over. Somehow it had gotten the smell of garlic flavored olive oil into it and it was like being followed around by a rancid pizza.

IMG20220913085825_BURST000_COVER.jpg

We were originally planning to go to Valentine's hut that day and then on to Mawson's and then Tin Hut but Gordon had a fortunate brainwave when we got to the bit just past the Schlink's Pass where we could head on up to Mt Gungarten. "Why don't we head for Tin Hut today while the weather is good?" I thought about it. It meant a sharpish climb to begin with but the beautiful weather made it an easy decision. "Let's do it," I cried and we donned skins and headed up. It was pretty easy going on the firm crusty snow, probably easier going up than it would have been coming down. It meant that once the climb was over, the rest of the trip would be downhill and it made for a relaxed tour. I'd recommend it, going anti-clockwise, if you are doing the Tin Hut, Mawsons Hut, Valentines Hut, Schlink's Hut circuit like we were.

I had taped up my feet that morning, to protect the insides of my arches from rubbing raw by the Dynafit ski boots, which did work to an extent, but I feared I had made the tape too tight on the top of the arch and it was feeling a bit funny. It turned out later that it was actually tearing the skin under the tape there. Sigh. If it isn't one thing it's another with the dang boots. Why, despite being told multiple times that I needed to be able to tour in the damn things and not just go downhill, did the fitter insist that they had to be so tight and why did I not insist on them actually fitting? I know better now, I suppose. I could also feel (a pressure that would lose the toenail if it went on) that my efforts to punch out the plastic boots to give my little toe on the right foot some wriggle room hadn't solved the problem and I resolved to attack the toe with a knife. The toe on the inner lining of the boot that is, not my precious flesh itself. This was a good decision and I didn't regret desecrating the boot liner. Turned out that the outer boot was fine, just that the inner was a size too small! I could put a patch over the hole when I got home.

PXL_20230827_033932691.jpg
Some beer-holder derived neoprene, some glue and the toe of a stocking and no-one has to know I hacked my boot-liner...

Once over the broad Gungartan Pass, we skied toward the bend where the hut was, trying to work out which patch of trees it was in. I spied its dunny on the far side of a clearing surrounded by trees and headed straight for it but was baulked by a cornice that I really didn't want to ski over (marked as avalanche zone on my map ...), so had to traverse around a bit to where Gordon had found the correct line. We found the star-picket fence that I later worked out we should have been using as a turn reference (looks like I had the retrospective navigation turned on again) Then the hut became barely apparent through its screen of snowgums. It would be very difficult to find it in poor visibility hidden by the trees from the north and west approaches as it is.

TinHutSmall.jpg

Again we had the hut to ourselves and we were only too glad to settle in and have a brew, but it wasn't too long before we got bored and headed out to find some slopes to play on. We ended up climbing back up to the 2000m line on the ridge to the SouthWest of the hut just so we could ski down it. Had to finesse it a bit to avoid the cornices I'd found on my way in, but it worked out nicely. Good snow, though a bit broken in a couple of places by where the heath had come through. We invented grassading (a nod to the French term 'glissading' here) to describe skiing on grass which was actually easier than walking through the heath. And later, the term 'skier ferrata' to describe crossing rusty metal footbridges on skies. (derived from Via Ferrata in the Italian Alps. Youtube is good for my education)

All tuckered out by a great day, I slept well that night and missed the alarm again. Yay!

The next day, fine and sunny again so we headed out down the Valentine Creek Valley for the shortish trek to Mawson's Hut. Possible ideas of going on to do Mt Jagungal were considered. Snow bridges to cross the creek were becoming a wee bit fraught, but not too bad. Another week of this sun would render them much more exciting, I thought. However, we reckoned that getting over the Valentines Creek to go onto Jagungal would require wading and we weren't up for that.... too cold!

snowbridgeSmall.jpg

After a leisurely few hours of skiing, we got to a point where we could see Mt Jagungal and Cup and Saucer Hill and Mailbox Hill and the ridge that Mawsons Hut would be behind. We weren't sure which ridge it was though and also weren't sure which bump on the horizon was which (apart from the newly renamed Mt Jugular which stood out like dog's balls). It wasn't navigationally important to sort it out at that point but I took this photo anyway and when I got home I looked to see if anyone had an app that would identify things on the horizon from a particular point. Sure enough, I found that 'there is an app for that'. See http://www.peakfinder.org to find out more.

PXL_20220913_034213525.jpg

peakfinder.JPG

Mawsons Hut (named not after the famous Sir Doug but a much more relevant fellow who managed a cattle lease and got the hut built way back in the day) eventually rolled into view where we expected it. We didn't get our feet wet getting to it because we'd been careful to stay on the correct side of the creek.

mawsonHutSmall.jpg

Once again, nobody home so we had a brew and attempted to repair our Swix adjustable ski-poles which for both of us, one each had developed an annoying tendency to just spin freely when we were trying to adjust them. We worked out what the problem was and tried to centre-punch the lower part of the ski-pole back onto the locking mechanism using a handy rock and nail. Here's Gordon going Paleolithic on his Swix Stix.

PXL_20220914_044948415.jpg
Here's Gordon going Paleolithic on his Swix Stix.

Didn't work although Gordon was able to fix his that way (using a proper hammer and punch) when he got home. I just superglued mine (when I got home, not having had the foresight to pack superglue or two-part epoxy) to stop it rotating. For the rest of the trip, we used a method of pushing the two parts of the pole together when twisting that helped somewhat.

After a bit of a rest we headed out to play and found some nice slopes to climb and descend in the warm sunlight until we were both knackered and then we headed back for tea and an early night.

Speaking of the night, I wandered out in the middle of it, as you do, and it was startlingly clear (and consequentially cold) so I tried to get a snapshot of the heavens. I had to trick the Google Pixel camera app into going into and staying in Astrophotography mode from Night Vision, which it only does automatically if it is still and dark, so I placed it on the dark ground with its lens down and screen up so I could see what was happening. Not the obvious choice, pointing at the ground, I grant you, when you want to take a shot of the Milky way which is usually in the other direction, but bear with me. I then left it alone for a bit. This convinced the software that it was dark and still enough to go into Astro mode and then I carefully pressed the go button without jiggling the phone (which stupidly would take it out of Astro mode and back into Night Vision) Then once it had shown me a four minute timer countdown (which I could see because the screen was up as the lens was still flat on its face) I flipped the camera over so it could start stacking photons and get me a picture. This works because it was dark so the movement in the dark doesn't add much if any noise to the photo. It appears that once committed to taking the shot the phone doesn't care about motion, only when you are trying, in the middle of the freezing night, to convince it to stay in Astro mode. Also, surprisingly, it appeared to adjust the focus correctly once pointing at the stars. Great imaging software and hardware, stupid user interface. The shot was a little off centre (I cropped it here) but I was not going to stick around for another four minutes to try again. It was COLD.

starsCropped.jpg

Next day dawned less salubriously than prior and we headed out in poor visibility and rain and hail and grim nastiness to find our way to Valentine's Hut. The InReach Explorer+ satnav and Fenix 7 watch with maps did their jobs nicely and we got to a point where we were expecting to find an old rusted steel footbridge that I had marked on my map. (Thanks to Feral Kaza for the track notes!) Whilst I fiddled with the nefarious devices Gordon looked around for the bridge. "Nope, not here....hang on, there it is!" It was very low to the water and obscured by bushes, but sure enough, our rusty 'skier ferrata' awaited. Coordinates S36.23005° E148.37782°
On the other side, we headed for a dimly visible col and up and over it, down the other side and there was the lovely red Valentines Hut! Just in time for lunch.

We were delighted to find an entry from just that morning in the logbook by Heidi who was doing a solo winter skiing traverse of the AAWT. https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/winte ... awt.91914/. Great pity we missed out on having a chat as Gordon and myself had both done the AAWT together previously, albeit in summer and not all in one go. Kudos for her having the fortitude to lug skis through all that nasty bush in Victoria. I wouldn't have. I'd have thrown them in the Black River and watched them float away. The ski boots would have followed shortly thereafter. Hopefully she only had to lug the skis on the sections where they would be useful.

After a brief stay at Valentines we pushed on up the hill then along the track to Schlink Hilton. We had passed a party of five going on to Valentines that mentioned that White's River Hut was chockers so we determined that Schlink was the destination for us. It came up soon enough and the deteriorating weather made it a welcome sight. It was empty so we lit a fire in the stove and settled in to dry sweaty clothes and make chocolate pudding and concoct a better version of Nasi Goring than had come out of a freeze-dry meal packet a couple of nights previous. I'm gonna call that previous one Nasty Boring, it was so tasteless. My new improved version had two packets of soup for flavor, two cups of freeze-dried rice for substance and half a packet of Surprise dried peas for texture and was far superior. Oh, and the last of the garlic flavored olive-oil. The wind howled up a storm that night and I was so glad that we weren't out in the Big Sky Chinook supposedly four season tent that I had lugged all the way. It might have taken the wind, but I wasn't at all sure the wind wouldn't have taken it. Some of those gusts shook the hut! I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat stronger tent. (I bought a Mont Krypton a few days later. We'll see if it is good in the wind...)

Next day dawned grim, but we had a few centimeters of fresh snow so that was nice. After a bit of kerfuffle finding the track again in the crap visibility, we crossed the bridge and headed back down Schlink Pass Road for the power station and the car. Passing White's River Hut, we saw no sign of occupants nor skis outside so either they'd all packed up their tents and gone home or onwards over Gungarten pass or they'd all been rescued by the snow-cat that we found the tracks of. It wasn't bad skiing, only had to walk maybe the last three kilometers but that was enough to make me glad I'd lugged my lightweight Solomon Ultra X Mids along all the way as they were glorious to walk in compared to ski-boots. I had to stop in the middle of a ford across a creek to test the water-proof Sealskinz socks I was wearing, much to Gordon's consternation as he was following close behind and didn't have any Sealskinz to test. Oops. The socks worked, BTW. I'd recommend the calf-length ones in the snow for normal boots though they are too thick for tight-fitting ski boots. They are nice and warm as well as waterproof. (Downside is if they do get wet inside they take forever to dry)

We were happy to find that the car didn't have flat batteries (it had happened before from a carelessly left on boot light or passenger light) So we headed off for Gippsland, glad for a chance for non-freeze-dried food, hot showers and a proper coffee or two.

In summary, great trip, not hard, glad of the two sunny days and the firm snow.
Last edited by tcornall on Tue 29 Aug, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tcornall
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Jagungal and environs, trip report

Postby rcaffin » Mon 28 Aug, 2023 8:02 pm

Plastic boots: yuk! Painful.
Milky Way photo: gorgeous! Thank you.

Questions:
Rats in Horse Camp Hut? Or have they been blocked?
Rats in Mawsons? We had them tobogganing down Sue's sleeping bag once. She kicked: they flew.
'old rusted steel footbridge' near Valentines: ?? GR? Been there many times, but never seen it.
'a solo winter skiing traverse of the AAWT': she has GUTS! We have done it in autumn, but carrying skis through Victoria . . .

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 28 Aug, 2023 11:14 pm

What memories are made of. Magic. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tcornall » Tue 29 Aug, 2023 5:38 pm

Hi Roger. Good to hear from you. I've appreciated your posts forever!
Roger said:
rcaffin wrote:Plastic boots: yuk! Painful.
Milky Way photo: gorgeous! Thank you.

Questions:
Rats in Horse Camp Hut? Or have they been blocked?
Rats in Mawsons? We had them tobogganing down Sue's sleeping bag once. She kicked: they flew.
'old rusted steel footbridge' near Valentines: ?? GR? Been there many times, but never seen it.
'a solo winter skiing traverse of the AAWT': she has GUTS! We have done it in autumn, but carrying skis through Victoria . . .

Cheers
Roger

Thank you for the applause regarding stars. They were glorious.
Agree with your comment about plastic boots, though they are surprisingly light and in this case it was the liner giving me the irrits. I need to find a better boot that still fit the Marker Alpinist 'bindings' or else get a whole new system. Not freeheel for coming down though. I do like the control Dynafits give on the way down and I don't get enough trips in to become proficient at Tele style. (Tried it... and that first pair of boots (Garmont Excursions) bugged me too until I replaced them with a looser pair. But then some *&%$#! stole them and I ended up with new Dynafit (Tilt 6)... and unfortunately paid too much heed to the fitter's advice. I do like the bindings though.)
Dunno about rats at Horse Camp, we didn't go down to it. Rats in Mawsons? Probably but they didn't bother me this time. I think the time before that they might have made their presence felt but nothing too bad.
The footbridge is at S36.23005° E148.37782° but to be honest we could have crossed the stream (it is only a tributary to Valentine's Creek) with minimum foot wettage near there. It isn't very wide. Bridge made it so much easier though.

Yeah, I've watched the Oates Bros youtube videos about bushbashing with skis thru Vic's tangled, sometimes trackless bushes in winter and despite their reassurances that it was worth it, all I can say is that they must have far greater tolerance for pain than I have.
Last edited by tcornall on Wed 30 Aug, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tcornall
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tcornall » Tue 29 Aug, 2023 5:39 pm

crollsurf wrote:What memories are made of. Magic. Thanks

You are welcome. Thanks for the comment!
tcornall
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rcaffin » Tue 29 Aug, 2023 7:45 pm

The footbridge is at S36.23005° E148.37782°
Um - I make that about 2 whole maps away from the Valentine river.
What am I doing wrong?

Any chance of a JPG of the map?

Boots: we outgrew our 3-pin boots (very literally), and went to NNN-BC. All very low-cut thought.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tcornall » Wed 30 Aug, 2023 1:10 pm

rcaffin wrote:The footbridge is at S36.23005° E148.37782°
Um - I make that about 2 whole maps away from the Valentine river.
What am I doing wrong?

Any chance of a JPG of the map?

Boots: we outgrew our 3-pin boots (very literally), and went to NNN-BC. All very low-cut thought.

Cheers
Roger

Not sure what's gone wrong. Lat Lon are in Decimal degrees, if that helps. Here's a snapshot of my tracks and waypoints from Basecamp.
In MGRS the coords are 55HFV2382289655
Crossing isn't on Velentine's creek but a tributory to it.
footbridge.JPG
footbridge map snapshot
tcornall
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rcaffin » Sat 02 Sep, 2023 6:35 pm

Ah - OK.
I can remember some old army track in places on Duck Creek - maybe more of that?
But I don't remember anything on that creek (E of Duck). I guess we just bombed across it on the way to Mawsons a few times.

Mind you, I thought Valentines Hut was a bit closer to Duck Creek, but maybe we didn't follow Duck Ck too closely. More like the track than the creek.

Aha - is the confusion over the coordinates due to my using Grid References rather than degrees? As a lover of paper maps you see.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby snowygreybeard » Thu 07 Sep, 2023 7:00 pm

That bridge was put in by parks for ski-doo access to Mawsons area - when the rotating blades are hitting the ..... (and the weather too crap for the Kerries)
snowygreybeard
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tcornall » Fri 15 Sep, 2023 1:30 pm

snowygreybeard wrote:That bridge was put in by parks for ski-doo access to Mawsons area - when the rotating blades are hitting the ..... (and the weather too crap for the Kerries)

Thanks for that! Good to know.
tcornall
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 23 Dec, 2023 12:59 pm

Thanks for the trip report. Perhaps it would be suitable to post it on Ski dot com
where the readers are more likely to be skiers too?. My Plastic Garmont Excursion ski boots are great for telemark
ski touring. What is not to like about them? . Either with a 3 pin rat trap with a heel cable
binding on EPOCH skis or the Voile` Switchback 75 mm binding om ANNUM skis.
NNN BC does not have
the power steering of the Voile Switchback binding . Not at all. Plus
you are banned from using NNN BC on the lifts at Falls Creek and Perisher.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Xplora » Sat 23 Dec, 2023 5:49 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Thanks for the trip report. Perhaps it would be suitable to post it on Ski dot com
where the readers are more likely to be skiers too?. My Plastic Garmont Excursion ski boots are great for telemark
ski touring. What is not to like about them? . Either with a 3 pin rat trap with a heel cable
binding on EPOCH skis or the Voile` Switchback 75 mm binding om ANNUM skis.
NNN BC does not have
the power steering of the Voile Switchback binding . Not at all. Plus
you are banned from using NNN BC on the lifts at Falls Creek and Perisher.

We all evolve over time. This is where you are now but not too long ago NNN BC was everything for you. I have had plenty of trouble finding comfort in plastic boots but also not enough power in comfy leathers. A good boot fitter is important but I have found most just want to performance fit and your feet tell you at the end of the day that is not good. Not everyone likes to be wrapped so tight and your feet swell over the day. Liners do compress over time so I am reluctant to take the knife to them early on. Seeing so many people at the end of the day with blisters and tape was a real turn off for me to go to plastics and I am still not convinced but maybe they had bad boot fitters also. I don't have enough money to throw boots away if they are not right.

Garmont or Scott Excursions are not a boot for everyone but they do suit a broad range. Same as the Scarpa T4 but there are better and more comfortable plastic boots available although the range in 75mm is dwindling. I think they lack power with the Annums but that is more dependent on the skill of the skier. I have run Annums in leathers but find them difficult with a full pack and just OK without. I know others who do much better than me. There is no comparison between the power of the Voile Switchback and the Marker Alpinist. That is like comparing a a 4 cylinder with a V8. If you want to tele with some power you need to go to NTN but again that is skill dependent.

My personal view while touring with a pack is to have comfy feet and unless you are doing some steeps you don't need the most powerful setup or a wider ski. You need enough to give you some control when needed. Not that long ago it was all done in rat trap and 75mm leathers with skinny skis. If that is what you are comfortable with I say more power to you (pun intended or maybe a juxtaposition. Whatever). I wish I was that good.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 23 Dec, 2023 8:43 pm

NTN is the future and 75 mm will be phased out. That is why I will hold off buying anymore boots or bindings in the 75 mm format.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Xplora » Sun 24 Dec, 2023 8:07 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:NTN is the future and 75 mm will be phased out. That is why I will hold off buying anymore boots or bindings in the 75 mm format.

The issues with NTN currently are weight firstly and foremost but also the modern plastic boots can be punched out with heat to allow for odd shaped feet. NTN boots cannot be heated near the bellows so for people like me, who need some side toe room, NTN will not work. If you can fit into an excursion boot which cannot be moulded you might be lucky enough to go straight into an NTN boot. I love the comfort of my leather 75's and when some approaches require carrying skis I find plastics quite restrictive even with the best range of motion. The transitions can also be cumbersome but for rolling hills I just tele with the tech toe.

My partner has recently acquired the Marker Alpinist bindings and has new boots fitted. The bindings are nice and light and there is an all up weight saving from her last setup which was 75mm. There is a great deal to consider when upgrading or changing setup so it is good to weigh up options and not waste money. I probably would not be recommending 75mm now as it is dying like you say. I suppose once you get into something better you will understand the limits of your current setup. Hiring is always an option.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes