Budawangs - Broula Brook, Shrouded God, Castle & Owen

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Budawangs - Broula Brook, Shrouded God, Castle & Owen

Postby bernieq » Fri 06 Oct, 2023 7:54 pm

After 2 failed attempts to get back into the Budawangs, we finally made Wog Wog - and with a good forecast, too.

In 2022, we were set to leave Victoria on a Saturday morning for a Budawangs tramp - but the 1st lock-down was announced on the Friday night ! The following year the plan was remade but 2 days before, a forecast of serious rain had us cancel the trip. I've previously had 4 days of torrential rain in the Budawangs (June 2007) and when finally able to move, made it to a 40m wide raging torrent - the normally 'step across' Wog Wog Creek. Not keen to repeat!

I'd read a 2013 trip report of a group exploring the upper reaches of Broula Brook (Batemans Bay Bushwalkers) which initially followed an alternate route off the Corang Plateau (see the Budawangs Sketch Map BSM) by heading north from near Corang Peak, down a steep unnamed Pass (Corang Pass?), back up through a narrow gap & down into the brook. It was a hard slog but we made the 'clearing' beside the brook & pitched tents.
P1050727.JPG
upper Broula Brook 'clearing' - Sep 2023
P1050727.JPG (253.22 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
We were too knackered to do much exploring - the growth was pretty thick near the brook. The evening was filled with multiple competing lyrebirds - magic. On exit, we found a much easier route - for next time.

Water was trickling at Canowie & Burrumbeet Brooks but I wondered about availability in the upper Corang & at the overhangs at Mt Cole so we carried a few kg of extra water. As it turned out, not necessary - pools & a trickle at both.

Into Monolith Valley, we dropped packs & headed up onto Shrouded God – a fun climb & terrific views.
P1050785.JPG
the slot, Shrouded God - Sep 2023
P1050785.JPG (224.65 KiB) Viewed 3601 times

I had thought to cross to the NE end and descend to Holland Gorge, looping around to Angel Creek & back up to Mt Cole – but sanity prevailed! Although it’s open enough on top, the climb up with full packs would be tough enough but the steep descent into the Gorge might have been a push too far.
P1050787.JPG
view from the top of Shrouded God - Sep 2023
P1050787.JPG (145.99 KiB) Viewed 3601 times

Instead, we continued on to Cooyoyo Creek and early next morning climbed the Castle & wandered out to the east end for fabulous view of Byangee Walls & Pigeonhouse.
P1050814.JPG
Byangee & Pigeonhouse from Cooyoyo - Sep 2023
P1050814.JPG (106.2 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
P1050824.JPG
Byangee & Pigeonhouse from the Castle - Sep 2023
P1050824.JPG (148.14 KiB) Viewed 3601 times

Be warned that, until some decent rain, there is not a drop of water in the normally reliable hollows on the Castle or Shrouded God (20mm on 5 Oct may have eased things a bit).

From the Castle we intended to camp at the western-most Mt Cole overhang so decided to go via Mt Owen rather than back through the Green Room – I’d climbed Mt Owen as a day trip previously but, with a full pack & more than a few years older, it was a challenge. The cairned route up was hard enough but the bouldering coming out of the gap was tedious indeed. We were glad to see the overhang unoccupied (lucky, unlike the group of 4 that arrived in the dark later that night).

On the return to Wog Wog we explored the overhang in the upper Corang (marked on the BSM)
P1050856.JPG
overhang in the upper Corang - Sep 2023
P1050856.JPG (218.76 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
and camped beside the Corang River near Broula Brook, the weather warm enough for a refreshing splash.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Budawangs - Broula Brook, Shrouded God, Castle & Owen

Postby sandym » Sat 07 Oct, 2023 4:02 pm

Thanks for the trip report. That first camp looks as if you could only just squeeze yourselves in. That Broula Brook area was clear after the 2019/2020 fires. Looks thick as now. Yes, not much water about and not much coming!
sandym

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Sat 07 Oct, 2023 6:58 pm

Thanks for the report, Bernie. Brings back some wonderful memories.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby bernieq » Mon 09 Oct, 2023 11:57 am

The 1st camp was just big enough to fit 4 tents in a line with another spot nearby that would have taken 2 more. The Acacia was quite thick, seed triggered by the smoke of the 2020 fires, I suspect.

Yes, it has been very dry - and we were surprised at the wildflowers - both variety and quantity.

a1.jpg
Sep 2023
a1.jpg (66.49 KiB) Viewed 3394 times

a5.jpg
Sep 2023
a5.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 3394 times

bernieq

Postby damomcdermott » Thu 12 Oct, 2023 2:50 pm

Magnificent views. Thanks for posting. Would love to get back to the Budawangs.

Sorry if I missed the detail, was it three days, two nights?
Easy overnight hikes for tiny adventurers randomfootprints.com
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bernieq » Thu 12 Oct, 2023 6:13 pm

damomcdermott wrote:was it three days, two nights?

It was 6 days, 5 nights plus a day's drive at each end !

bernieq

Postby damomcdermott » Thu 12 Oct, 2023 7:24 pm

Wow - apologies for the underestimation! What an amazing trip!
Easy overnight hikes for tiny adventurers randomfootprints.com
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Chev » Fri 13 Oct, 2023 12:50 pm

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good trip. I've been wondering about Broula Brook as alternative access between the scenic rim track and the cascades now the old track through private property is out of bounds.

(Twenty?) Years ago I did a bit of exploring along the lower reaches. Lovely walking. Scrub regrowth would be hectic now. Even back then my dim memory is that the best line was mostly in the creek bed. Hoping to get back in there soon.
Chev
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Chev » Fri 13 Oct, 2023 12:51 pm

Double post, Sorry.
Chev
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bernieq » Sat 14 Oct, 2023 1:39 pm

Chev wrote:I've been wondering about Broula Brook as alternative access between the scenic rim track and the cascades now the old track through private property is out of bounds

I doubt that idea would work. The route we took, from Wog Wog, into the upper reaches requires going over Corang Peak then back around & into the brook (a lot of extra distance). Then, to walk out to the Corang River would be very slow indeed - thick growth on the banks and a lot of treefall in the creek.

It is simple enough to skirt the private property and the bush isn't particularly thick (except in a couple of creeks where the Acacia has gone beserk) - basically just a bit of navigating between Broula/Corang confluence and Goodsell Creek. The Corang loop is pretty popular so I imagine someone will flag a route, with or without Parks support.

bernieq

Postby davidp » Wed 03 Jan, 2024 8:45 am

Corang Lagoon was declared a Crown reserve in 1918 and is still publicly owned. There are now three good legal routes established to reach it. Check FB group Keep Corang Open
davidp
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby davidp » Wed 03 Jan, 2024 8:46 am

Corang Lagoon was declared a Crown reserve in 1918 and is still publicly owned. There are now three good legal routes established to reach it. Check FB group Keep Corang Open
davidp
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes