Mumbedah Creek - December 2018

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mumbedah Creek - December 2018

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 15 Oct, 2023 4:58 pm

I was just reviewing some old files on my computer today an came across these notes for a log book I carried on a trip exploring Mumbedah Creek. Sharing here un-edited. A great adventure for those who are happy to scamble a little and enjoy creeks.

Day 1
Left cars (3) on Kanangra Road opposite Moorara Boss Trail at 0740h, light drizzle at first but soon cleared up when walking the trail. Trail was easy going and turned off at saddle before Moorara Boss to climb to the top. Large interesting boulders on the way up admire and some views from the top.

Direct bearing from knoll on E down hill, reasonably open and managed to hit spur which then lead down to Jenolan - Mumbedah Junction at midday. Good flow out of Mumbedah which we followed up, crossing from side to side to find the easier going. Banks were generally travellable, but had patches of scrub (ferns, vines and nettles) to avoid, Lunch at 1300h and then a high sidle / scramble up and down to avoid the first pool / small drop flanked by short cliff.

From here going was much more scrambly. Rock slide (I didn’t try) with very deep pool (couldn’t touch the bottom) was passed and enjoyed. (Early) camp was made on flat clear bank (not many about) on creek at GR 332 511 and in bed by 2200h.

Day 2
Woke up at 0710h and departed camp by 0800h. Walking a bit scruby at first with two islands in the creek passed along the way. Possible campsites here. Became slower and more cascadey after entering the first big bend.??? So for a few kms. Swim had before Crandon Falls and they were sidled bia spur on TL without issue.

Morning tea had on bend GR 330 xxx at possible campsite. Next falls (~10-15m high) not so easy, scrambled up on TL about 50m back from falls and then traversed until good spur down, opposite large bluffs above falls.

Further up an unmarked fall was conquered (~5m) with a short traverse on TL. Marked 25m falls had multiple drops but pass up through crack on TR of first fall. Lunch had at 1345h above falls. More cascade walking upstream from here until very large falls. Cliffs all around and high bluffs on TR. Decided to leave upper section for a future trip (abseil day trip?) and exited via TL slope just back from falls at 1510h.

Steep at first but then up via good spur with most height (~350m) gained in 45 mins. Easy going through open country from here. First fire trail hit was overgrown and small nav mistake made. Cars reached by 1800h.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Re: Mumbedah Creek - December 2018

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 16 Oct, 2023 3:05 pm

Some fantastic info there, in particular how/where to traverse/exit the various falls etc. Suspect regrowth has changed things pretty dramatically though?
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Mumbedah Creek - December 2018

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 16 Oct, 2023 10:21 pm

I really don't know what the ridges are like, I've only been back to Kanangra once since the fires and didn't venture into that area. Hopefully with time they'll come good though! The creek itself might not have changed much though.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes