Kangarutha Track - Bournda National Park

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Kangarutha Track - Bournda National Park

Postby trickos » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 1:30 pm

The roar of the Ocean follows you the whole 11 or so Km's from Tathra (Kianniny Bay) to Hobart Beach Campground. It promised to be an eventful day with the swell bigger than usual and a bit of solitary walking is always good for the soul. I was dropped at the track head at Kianniny Bay - Tathra and then picked up again at Hobart Beach Campground although the track officially ends at Lake Wallagoot a kilometre or two shy of Hobart Beach.
The track climbs steeply in sections and the coastline for the first 3 or 4 kilometres is spectacular with some great vistas toward the great blue yonder. Places like Boulder Bay and Games Bay are brilliant for chilling out, catching your breath and a spot of rockpooling.
An unfortunate part of the walk was the amount of thick ti tree which had fallen over the track presumably storm damaged and made navigation pretty difficult on an already sign lacking track. A couple of Ferny Gullies made for a nice vegetation change but still that roar of the ocean is incredibly loud - If only I could see it.
I extended the walk a touch by beach walking the last section to Hobart Beach which is a little way past the hidden Wallagoot Lake. This is a beautiful long beach, some spectular coastline around here but I left feeling as though I had missed most of it. All in all an enjoyable day out. Thanks for the recommendations from fellow forum members.
Cheers.
Attachments
Kangarutha Track Head.JPG
Staircase to rocky ledge.JPG
Games Bay Rockpool.JPG
Boulder Bay.JPG
Boulder Bay Cairn.JPG
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Kangarutha Track - Bournda National Park

Postby iandsmith » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 9:15 pm

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Been to Tathra but never done any walking there; will have to consider it in future.
Cheers, Ian
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SteveJ » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 12:32 am

Glad you made it and did some walking, as Dorathy said "no place like home" :D Nice pics too.

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 8:05 pm

There's some decent diving there, too.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby iandsmith » Thu 13 Jan, 2011 8:25 pm

Never heard of the walk, thanks for sharing. Cheers
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Robbo » Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks for the report Trickos. My son and myself did this walk, from the other direction, a few years ago. Great walk with excellent views along the way. One of my favourites pictures is of the little inlet near the end/beginning of the walk.

Kangarutha.jpg
Kangarutha.jpg (89.97 KiB) Viewed 5791 times

Cheers

Robbo
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes