Kowmung Walkabout (Images)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Kowmung Walkabout (Images)

Postby HitchHiking » Sun 21 Nov, 2010 9:31 pm

Just a trip to explore the Kowmung and area

The mist and rain blocked the spectacular view of the kanangra gorge as we crossed the high plateau and then began out descent towards the Kowmung River. The rain continued and we took shelter briefly in a coal seam cave

The rain began to ease and we continued on. We began descending along the access track along the ridge as marked on map. The mist lifted and some of the views came into sight.

after a short and easy scramble we were down at the Rivers edge. With all the rain its was flowing very high and very fast.( This really deep section in the pic)

We then left what little track we had been following and pressed further. I will leave the details out as per forum regulations. We found a suitable place for the hammocks and camp. It was a tarps up first kinda day!

The rain continued all night. It was soothing to hear it falling on the tarp and we all slept very soundly.

The next morning we crossed the river to get that out of the way early. Unfortunately the other side of the river was no easier to move through. Some of the vines had thorns that loved me to bits...... sorry tore me to bits :lol: I also ripped 3 holes in my canvas hat! :x

Some more pics from our wanderings as we slowing picked out ridge up to Scotts Main Range.

After gaining all the elevation we lost the day prior we made camp Just off Scotts at the top of the new ridge we were to follow back to the river. Again the views were great.

The rain was off and on all night in heavy gusts as we were on the ridge top but again we slept very well.

After a breakfast of champions (wheat bix and powdered milk and brown sugar) we took a new bearing and began descending back to the Kowmung. We followed a great ridge that took us back to the river but far further down stream from our first crossing. There was a noticed change in water folume.
!

We checked the our pack liners and made sure all the vitals wouldn't get wet and then made the swim. The water was unexpectedly cold again :shock: .After wringing our cloths out and having a quick bit to eat we began our final ridge climb. Which was also to be the biggest. As we began climbing the sun came out. When we arrived at the top we weregot to see the views we missed on the way in.

The walls looking great!

Cheers
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Re: Kowmung Walkabout (Images)

Postby isoma » Sun 21 Nov, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks for the photos and write up HH,
Its an area I'm yet to get to but keen to explore.
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby HitchHiking » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 7:54 pm

It well worth near a life time of exploring no doubt!
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Postby kanangra » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 7:43 am

From the look of the limestone you must have spent some time either in Church ck or Billys Ck.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes