Carlons/ Ironmonger/ Coxs/ Tinpot Hill.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Carlons/ Ironmonger/ Coxs/ Tinpot Hill.

Postby kanangra » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:30 am

I took a group of teenagers into this area on the weekend. Good trip. There is water in B'fast creek at the junction. And the Coxs is flowing well although it has been higher in the recent past. Harry's is also flowing well. The compulsory wade through the Lower Canyon was mid chest height ie. 5ft deep. Camped on the Harry's just below the canyon. Excellent elevated grassy spot. Saw a large black feral boar and much evidence of pig rooting.

Next morning walked up the Coxs to Flaggi Clear and then up past the remains of O'Laughlins. Then up Tinpot Hill via an old track which seemed to disappear. Once over the top took lunch in the saddle before following a pad which led back to the farm road from "Galong" property. This soon linked up with our outward route over Ironpot Mt. Back by 12:30.

Even though this group was doing this walk to earn a badge I didn't think they seemed real keen? I was surprised how many breaks they demanded and how slow they were uphill? Is this how it is with the youth of today?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Carlons/ Ironmonger/ Coxs/ Tinpot Hill.

Postby Packo » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 7:43 am

I was going to head out this way on the weekend. I haven't been down to this section of the Coxs for about 20 years and am looking forward for a revisit. I was wondering how long it would take to do the circuit and if it is feasible to complete it in one day. Otherwise I will try and head down to Tinpot Hill from Carlons and explore that area as I haven't been over that side of Ironpot Mountain before. Then I will come back another weekend for an overnighter. Is there a track from Ironpot Ridge to Tinpot Hill and if so is it easy to find?
Packo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Packo » Wed 02 Nov, 2011 6:52 pm

I ended up doing this walk last Saturday. Had a great time even though I took the wrong ridge back up to Ironpot Mountain. I will definately head down to this area again to get it right. All up it took me 8 1/2 hours and worth every minute.

I have some pics, map and stats HERE
Packo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kimloane » Sat 04 May, 2019 10:16 pm

Old thread but hoping someone can help. Considering taking a group of Venturer Scouts from Dunphys to Ironpot Mtn (track) and then untracked route to Tinpot Hill and down the ridgeline to Galong Creek. Then along Cox's until we hit a trail I am unsure of the name of that heads north to the Six Foot Track. Question. How dense is the vegetation from Ironpot to Tinpot and on to Galong Crk? And also how navigable are the banks of Cox's River from Galong Crk to the intersection of Cox's and Little River.

Many Thanks,

Kim
kimloane
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mr

Postby Chunder fuzz » Mon 06 May, 2019 4:50 pm

kimloane wrote:How dense is the vegetation from Ironpot to Tinpot and on to Galong Crk? And also how navigable are the banks of Cox's River from Galong Crk to the intersection of Cox's and Little River.

Not much vegetation in the way along Cox's river from Breakfast creek up to Cox's campground, as in, you won't be scrub bashing at all, easy nav.
Chunder fuzz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kimloane » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks.

Just to close this out from my experience.
- Track from Dunphys to Ironpot is, as expected, clear and obvious.
- Route from Ironpot to Tinpot is, heavily tracked for the first couple of hundred meters since it is part of the UTA100 ultra-trail route each year but past the point where UTA heads east off the ridgeline, and the route continues north to Tinpot, the route is lightly tracked which an experienced walker could see with some ease. Less experienced walker (ie Scouts/Venturers) may probably not see it as clearly and will have to be able to navigate.
- Route from Tinpot down the ridgeline to Galong Crk and to Cox's is similarly lightly tracked with the same caveat as above. The walker will likely be drawn to Cox's before they hit Galong Creek but that is not an issue.
- Route north to Cox's River Campground is clear in so much as you follow the river but the track that is shown on the map is not that clear or easy to follow. We ended up crisscrossing the river several times. Vegetation is light.
kimloane
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mr

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes