Mt May and Upper Portals

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt May and Upper Portals

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 9:09 pm

First time visiting this section of Mount Barney NP, decided to have a shot at combining a couple of tracks to make a long and (mostly) circuit walk.

Went up and over Mount May from the camping ground, along the ridge on the rough dirt road and down to Yamahra Creek... the Upper Portals are a nice little spot, would be a good place for a swim in Summer if you can brave the heat of the exposed ridge on the way in. Left the portals and ascended a high ridge to the east, with spectacular views of Barney... was a nice little surprise, since everyone raves about Montserrat lookout instead. Returned via road - all day, only saw one other walker. Back at the camping ground, spoke to some girls who were wandering around trying to find the start to the Mt May walk... almost 3pm by this time, and sounded like none of them had much walking experience. :shock: Suggested they try some graded tracks at Main Range first, they were surprised to learn it would take a few hours to do the May walk and that there wasn't any signage.

Was a long, tiring walk, lots of dirt roads and steep/crumbly ground, but plenty of great views along the way.
Attachments
071.JPG
Mount May south peak from North Peak
133.JPG
Barney from May
152.JPG
May and Maroon from Cleared Ridge
200.JPG
Upstream from the Portals
220.JPG
Upper portals
251.JPG
Barney from high ridge NE of the portals
bitterpea.JPG
Lots of peas in bloom along the way
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt May and Upper Portals

Postby ofuros » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 8:34 am

That little rocky outcrop in the bottom left of pic 6 gives some great views upstream
to the Big Lonely & over to long & short Barrabool & Gwyalla ridges...plus you can lay back on the warmed rock,
hands behind your head & watch the clouds scud overhead. 8-)

A good walk to stretch your legs, Champion_Munch....enjoyed your pics.

Sent from my X550 using Tapatalk
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks ofuros... I did get a good gawk at that rocky outcrop, and wondered what the views might be like from there. I was hoping the track might pass by it (it didn't). Did you just bash your way out there?
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 9:11 pm

The path at the end of the Cleared Ridge track does go past it.
Its just a short distance off the track, down the ridge, winding your way through the undergrowth.

Sent from my X550 using Tapatalk
Last edited by ofuros on Tue 18 Aug, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 9:54 pm

Really?!! How did I manage to miss that... next time, next time
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides