Jatbula Trail June 2014

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Jatbula Trail June 2014

Postby Lizzy » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 2:09 pm

Just back from a sensational bushwalk along the Jatbula Trail which runs from Nitmiluk Gorge to Leilyn Falls near Katherine in the NT. I did the 62km walk solo over 6 days and had the place to myself :D
After finishing my packraft trip up Nitmilik Gorge I returned and did a quick rearrangement of gear before catching a lift across the river to the start of the walk. it was about 12.30 pm by now and hot!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg (94.5 KiB) Viewed 41094 times

I was pleased to arrive at the Northern Rockhole to cool off
image.jpg
Northern Rockhole
image.jpg (88.2 KiB) Viewed 41094 times

The falls aren't flowing but I was pretty happy non the less!
after a bit of a break I headed off to the first nights camp at Bibblecombe Cascades. Another refreshing dip was had and guess what- no one else about except a little bandicoot that night.
Day 2 and I headed off in the early cool for Crystal Falls. The day heated up quick as I followed the little blue triangular markers guiding the way. The trail took me through long grasss, rocky area and along the escarpment. At one point I came to a rocky outcrop with a small cave and some Jawoyn rock paintings
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 41094 times

The cascades at Crystal Falls was a welcome relief to the heat and a spa bath was first on the agenda. It was at this campsite that I saw the only other walkers on the Jatbula - they had stayed an extra day and were returning back to the start as one of their group had gotten sick.
image.jpg
image.jpg (83.2 KiB) Viewed 41094 times

Next day the walk continued on to the spectacular 17 mile Falls and roughly the half way point. On the way I ducked down into The Ampitheatre which is a spot the local Indigenous used to visit and has some interesting art.
image.jpg
The Ampitheatre
image.jpg (70.38 KiB) Viewed 41094 times
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Jatbula Trail June 2014

Postby Lizzy » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 2:18 pm

image.jpg
17 Mile Falls
image.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 41092 times

Day 4 and I continued on to Sandy Camp. another cracker of a camp spot with a big lovely swimming hole and sandy beach to camp on.
image.jpg
Sandy Camp
image.jpg (110.86 KiB) Viewed 41092 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (80.86 KiB) Viewed 41092 times

For my last night it was off to Sweetwater Pool which is only about 5 Kim's from the end but I preferred another night out on the trail than amongst the crowds at a commercial campground and I couldn't get a lift till the following afternoon.
image.jpg
image.jpg (121.81 KiB) Viewed 41092 times

image.jpg
Sweetwater
image.jpg (57.63 KiB) Viewed 41092 times

At around lunchtime the place got a bit busy with people doing a day walk to Sweetwater but all of a sudden they all disappeared and I once again had the place to myself for another refreshing dip.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 2:22 pm

Final day on the Jatbula and it was a quick walk to Leilyn (Edith Falls) where I had a nice morning bath in the upper pools- once again all to myself!!
image.jpg
Leilyn Upper pool
image.jpg (43.22 KiB) Viewed 41092 times

I then spent the next few hours lazing around he lower pool which waiting for my transfer back to the gorge with Gecko Tours.
I feel privileged to have been able to visit such an amazing part of this country- it certainly is a special spot!
Cheers
Lizzy
image.jpg
image.jpg (26.41 KiB) Viewed 41092 times
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby philm » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 4:53 pm

Great thanks for posting. Looking at doing the track June 2015.
How were the temperatures?
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Lizzy » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 6:01 pm

It ranged from about 12-32 degrees I think. I found after lunch it was pretty hot & so liked to get my walking done before then. Nights were cool- took my hubby's Sierra Designs Nitro 30 which was about perfect for me. It was pretty windy too which made it feel a bit cooler.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby philm » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi Lizzy

Did you drink the water straight from the creeks or are there tanks at the camp sites?

Also in terms of transport did you book up Gecko much before - We are thinking hiring a car from Darwin and leaving it in Katherine, then getting the bus with Gecko back to Katherinea at the end.

Sound like the approach you took.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 2:17 pm

I've always drunk the water straight from there, including at Nitmiluk. There's a reason that last campsite is called Sweetwater Pool.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lizzy » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 3:09 pm

Hey Phil,
Yep drank it without treating or filtering and no ill effects.
I booked with Gecko the week before- although I heard some people having trouble getting hold of them. Left the car at Nitmiluk visitor centre and caught Gecko back from Leilyn. They were coming back after taking a guided group out a day behind me- so I spent the last night at Sweetwater and then had to wait all day the next day at Leilyn but that was ok with me :)
Some people leave their car at Leilyn and get a lift back to the start and then they can finish when they like. It suited me better to have car at Nitmiluk to leave my raft etc in.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 5:16 am

Two great rafting/ walking adventures Lizzy....very envious, reminds me of the escarpment walks around kakadu.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to SA, WA & NT Trip Reports & Track Notes