Croajingolong walk - upgrade?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Croajingolong walk - upgrade?

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Wed 18 Nov, 2020 12:37 pm

FYI
New and iconic...
"These upgrades will allow for the development of an iconic new Coastal Wilderness walk through Croajingolong National Park."
https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/protecti ... promontory
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Croajingolong walk - upgrade?

Postby wobbly » Thu 19 Nov, 2020 5:53 pm

Hmmm interesting. There already is an iconic coastal wilderness walk through Croajingolong. If it's anything like the Grampians Peaks trail walk I guess they will be closing it for at least 5 years whilst they remove the wilderness aspect.
wobbly
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby peregrinator » Thu 19 Nov, 2020 7:12 pm

wobbly wrote:Hmmm interesting. There already is an iconic coastal wilderness walk through Croajingolong. If it's anything like the Grampians Peaks trail walk I guess they will be closing it for at least 5 years whilst they remove the wilderness aspect.

That's great "strategic planning" by the politicians. It might take at least five years for vegetation to replace the charcoal from the 2019-2020 bushfire effecting 70% of the national park.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JulianS » Sun 22 Nov, 2020 1:36 pm

wobbly wrote:Hmmm interesting. There already is an iconic coastal wilderness walk through Croajingolong. If it's anything like the Grampians Peaks trail walk I guess they will be closing it for at least 5 years whilst they remove the wilderness aspect.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

An "upgrade" to the Croajingolong Wilderness Coast walk was forecast some time ago - it was earmarked as the 4th "Icon Walk" for Victoria (the other 3 being Great Ocean Walk, Grampians Peaks and Falls-to-Hotham)... where these 4 "Icon Walks" were going to be used in a "portfolio" to brand Victoria as an eco-tourism/walking destination. With Grampians Peaks and Falls-to-Hotham under construction or in the late planning stages (respectively), this funding announcement is consistent with Croajingolong presumably being not far behind.

It seems with each new National Park that gets an "upgrade", the extent of development and infrastructure only increases. Just look at the hut/lodge style accommodation and push for commercial involvement with the Falls-to-Hotham proposal.

Croajingolong NP features the last remaining coastal wilderness in Victoria. However, I fear the word "Wilderness" in the name of this walk may end up doing the area a disservice, given the word seems to be increasingly leveraged for marketing/branding. Although there's no detail yet, the prospect of glamping accomm/huts/water tanks/kitchens etc as a blight on what is such a beautiful, unique and special landscape is really saddening to imagine.

I also fear that the remoteness that has allowed Croajingolong to retain its wilderness values means that there will be relatively few people who know enough about it to speak up. And those people who do will be criticised for being obstructive to bushfire/COVID economic recovery efforts.
JulianS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion