Horses and heritage

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Horses and heritage

Postby Xplora » Tue 22 Dec, 2020 7:13 am

north-north-west wrote:Article in the SMH. Good thing is that the letters are, excepting those that simply attack Garrett, overwhelmingly in favour of removal.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/national-disgrace-garrett-calls-for-feral-horse-removal-to-save-kosciuszko-20201220-p56p2c.html

I read that yesterday. It was the SMH so the support base would be different. Those supporting horses tend not to read the Age or SMH (same paper different state). They seem more aligned to the Herald Sun and Sky News although in digital print things can be different. Herald Sun is paywalled as is its sister paper the Australian. However, this is a great bit of writing from Ricky French in the Weekend Australian which is not paywalled https://www.theaustralian.com.au/inquir ... 38827d4ff2 Comments run both ways but many supporting the culling of horses.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby davidmorr » Tue 22 Dec, 2020 8:21 am

I said "if they are any good". My local MP is an independent and responses are quick.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 Dec, 2020 12:47 pm

Xplora wrote: However, this is a great bit of writing from Ricky French in the Weekend Australian which is not paywalled https://www.theaustralian.com.au/inquir ... 38827d4ff2 Comments run both ways but many supporting the culling of horses.

Ricky French is usually pretty good. He's so out of place in the Newscorpse stable.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Xplora » Wed 23 Dec, 2020 5:24 am

north-north-west wrote:
Xplora wrote: However, this is a great bit of writing from Ricky French in the Weekend Australian which is not paywalled https://www.theaustralian.com.au/inquir ... 38827d4ff2 Comments run both ways but many supporting the culling of horses.

Ricky French is usually pretty good. He's so out of place in the Newscorpse stable.

I am sure he will appreciate your words as he is a member here. I would agree he is out of place where he is but another writer who is engaging in a project about the feral horses used to work for Newscorp also. Something about having a green writer. At least it gets the point across to those far right wing type.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 5:51 pm

URGENT E PETITION EXPIRES TONIGHT WE ARE 5OOO SIGNATURES SHORT PLEASE SIGN NOW!!

As our ePetition to protect Kosciuszko from feral horses comes down to the wire we have important news to share.

This morning the NSW Government released the 2020 feral horse population estimate for Kosciuszko National Park and guess what?

It confirms what we've said all along: too many horses are threatening the fragile wetlands and wildlife of the irreplaceable Kosciuszko National Park and we're calling on the NSW Parliament to stop the damage.

In the past 24 hours more than 5000 people have joined the fight to save Kosci from the burgeoning feral horse population.

If all of our supporters can ask 5 family members or friends from NSW to sign, we still have time to reach 20,000 signatures by midnight tonight and force the NSW Parliament to properly debate the need to protect Kosciuszko's sensitive habitats and wildlife from a damaging, introduced species.

Will you please call on your friends and family to join us and 14,000 others by signing the petition to protect Kosciuszko?

The updated 2020 feral horse estimate puts Kosci's horse population at around 14,000, concluding with 95% confidence that there are at least 9000 feral horses in the park and as many as 22,000!

In a surprise turn of events NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro told the Sydney Morning Herald “We must reduce the number of brumbies, whether it’s down to 600, 1000, or 3000," adding that there are parts of the park that “should have zero horses".

The Kosciuszko Wild Horse Heritage Act introduced by the Deputy Premier more than two years ago has been a huge distraction to horse management in Kosciuszko and the numbers game has well and truly reached its expiration date.

We’ve lost valuable time and 2020 horse count confirms that every year you wait, the scale of the problem increases.

We welcome this morning’s news that Mr Barilaro has acknowledged the 2020 horse count and the need to act.

Together we can seize this opportunity to encourage the NSW Parliament to step up now to protect and restore nature.

Sign petition HERE https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/la/Pa ... 9GrpxUGQ==

Please sign the petition by midnight tonight to let the NSW Parliament know you support a reduction in horse numbers for the health of Kosciuszko National Park and please ask all your friends and family to sign.

Yours for Kosci,
Candice and Linda

P.S You can read the SMH article online, our full response to the 2020 horse count is in our press release and you can download the full technical report on the 2020 horse count from the NSW Government’s website.

Save our Kosciuszko home from feral horses, sign the petition: bit.ly/savekosci
johnrs
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 6:07 pm

From Brumby campaigner Pete Cochrane on FB
"So this is Matt Keans culling program ? Baiting horses now ? Currangorambla Gap trap site . Salted down area . Dead horse . No bullet marks . Terrifying site to young children touring with CochranHorse Treks . So does the Peter Garret support this type of barbaric behaviour? Please share this photo . Challenge Reclaim Kosi to answer this carnage . Write to the Minister and your local
member and above all , share this post far and wide !"
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3612057285552971&set=a.471006576324740
With friends like the Nationals, the Libs must be thinking, who needs enemies!
crollsurf
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 6:30 pm

Cochran could couldn’t give a *&%$#! about the welfare of feral horses. He only cares about his little brumby sight seeing safaris. I’ve got evidence of Brumby running up there in winter. I can only guess who the culprit is... Someone that “loves” horses I’m sure.

He even told he me personally that certain bridles trails in Northern KNP are commercial in confidence. Haha. That’s the way he looks at the mountains, a place to make money and take, take, take. I have a pretty extensive list of bridle trails in the mountains that I’ll be making public next spring so everyone can enjoy the mountains without having to pay, even horse riders.
Zapruda
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Xplora » Thu 14 Jan, 2021 7:08 am

crollsurf wrote:From Brumby campaigner Pete Cochrane on FB
"So this is Matt Keans culling program ? Baiting horses now ? Currangorambla Gap trap site . Salted down area . Dead horse . No bullet marks . Terrifying site to young children touring with CochranHorse Treks . So does the Peter Garret support this type of barbaric behaviour? Please share this photo . Challenge Reclaim Kosi to answer this carnage . Write to the Minister and your local
member and above all , share this post far and wide !"
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3612057285552971&set=a.471006576324740
With friends like the Nationals, the Libs must be thinking, who needs enemies!

No evidence of baiting but what does that matter? Cochran has whipped up the horse lovers who will believe in any conspiracy. Bari now under attack for backflipping yet again on culling but he comes back with more lies. The tied is changing and now is the time for increased pressure. So many people have escaped the rat race for holidays and I suspect many have gone to KNP. They will see the damage and the number of horses.

Every opportunity you see to comment then take it. Plenty of news stories online which allow that and you don't want the horse supporters to have the only say. These people say horses cause NO damage which is not believable by any stretch. To admit horses cause any damage is to concede they should be controlled. It is a lose-lose argument because denial of damage shows them to be fanatical and without reason or logic. In other words nothing they say is to be taken seriously. Promoting conspiracy theories also makes them look deluded or unhinged. They may get thousands more signatures on a petition and make lots of comments trying to stop the removal of horses but their words are far more hollow than the reasoned and constrained words of those trying to save a fragile environment.

I read one comment which said word to the effect a tadpole will never be considered better than a horse. There a millions more people without horses in this country who would not care much about them anyway. Tiny things are cut and vulnerable. Horses can be made to look like the big bullies. Cochran is bully also. Picking on Koalas did no favours for Bari.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion