Hut-bagger!

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Hut-bagger!

Postby tas-man » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 1:30 pm

QUOTE -
Hut Bagger Quote.jpg
Hut Bagger Quote.jpg (233.91 KiB) Viewed 14970 times

When talking to Janet Fenton while at Melaleuca in January 2014, she mentioned recently sailing up the Davey Gorge and then walking to the Hydro Hut that was mentioned earlier in this topic. The fires in this area last summer burnt right up to the cleared ground around the hut, so whoever has been doing work on it has actually saved it from destruction.
Davey River Hut 2011.jpg

Davey River Hut 2014.jpg
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby tas-man » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 1:43 pm

Luuk Veltkamp wrote:Google Earth has just updated the Gordon river area photography in the last week or so, a bit of hunting around I came across 2 more hut sites which are new to me. Does anyone have any info about them. They are inside the WHA so would need parks approval. Just copy and paste into google earth:
42°43'49.72"S
145°50'47.93"E
and
42°44'43.69"S
145°53'54.55"E
This new high res photography is great for winter arm chair hut hunting!
Luuk

Does anyone know the purpose of these cleared areas? Huts or just helicopter pads? Anyone visited them?
Gordon River clearing 1.jpg

Gordon River clearing 2.jpg
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sim1oz » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 7:35 pm

I love huts too. I take a photo of every hut we visit. Unfortunately, my hut baggin' is still rather minuscule. Not even up to 30 yet. I think I might start numbering and labelling my photos so I can keep count.... :D
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby BLOODNUT87 » Thu 20 Jan, 2022 8:58 pm

Awesome pics...I found all the secret huts on my Kunanyi...met Terry Reid last night.. raglan range hut is still there
BLOODNUT87
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby BLOODNUT87 » Wed 26 Jan, 2022 9:25 am

If someone can show me a track file or atleast point a direction from were to go...I'm a avid member for mhps not many oldys have been out there lately...I seen a Rufus post but was about mount Rufus...the calendar we got has 12 huts I have done 8 I have found all the other spots but no updated track notes or info...the hut at King William I was going to just kayak over from there then just bush bash to it...can someone help me.out be very thankful...check my YouTube aswell Tas hiking adventures
Love from Hobart
BLOODNUT87
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby BLOODNUT87 » Wed 26 Jan, 2022 9:29 am

Reposted sorry
BLOODNUT87
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FLICKIT » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 8:09 pm

flyfisher wrote:The Rufus hut has had some recent attention and is in reasonable condition.

I popped in here today, the rear has been fixed up nicely, people have carried a heap of gear in there ! (I wonder if there was a heli-load dropped in there at some stage with the amount of modern materials there)
Rufus Rear.jpg

it appears people were frequenting it and doing it up at some stage but it seems to have been neglected for a while now, the front is a bit of a mess, it's not really weathertight:
Rufus Front.jpg

Some of the roofing iron was half blown off down low so I nailed it back down so the animals cant wander in but it really needs a ladder and some attention up high...
Rufus roof.jpg

I might head back in there at some stage with a bunch of roofing nails and clouts and do what I can...

ILUVSWTAS wrote:A guy I know in the HWC helped build a hut at Lake Stuart also.

I think PW tried to have them removed some years ago, but thankfully they wernt successful

I'm quite interested to know if there's still a hut at Lake Stuart, if anyone knows anything about it or it's location a PM would be welcomed ty :) .. I might try to hunt that out when I re-visit Rufus...

Edit: since this is a Hut-Baggers thread I should mention I'm well over 100 in Tassie :D
FLICKIT
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Paul » Wed 23 Feb, 2022 8:17 am

I viewed from Mt Sorrell, what appears to be a hut, deep in the forest on the eastern side of the Clark River. ( see the attachment )

Does anyone know any history of this hut ?

Could it have been a base for mineral exploration, as there are cut lines in the near vicinity of South Darwin Peak.

I would appreciate any information relating to this hut. I intend to make my way to it from South Darwin Peak in the furure.

Paul.
Attachments
Hut beside Clark River.pdf
(289.29 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Paul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Wed 23 Feb, 2022 2:58 pm

Have a look on Google Earth. Judging by the vertical and horizantal clearings near the hut I would say there has been some geological/mineral exploration in the near vicinity.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Hallsy6755 » Wed 02 Aug, 2023 7:04 pm

Hello Hut Baggers. Does anyone know anything about 'The Chris Lane memorial hut' on the junction of the Hazelwood and Whyte rivers?? Its only a couple of years old and pretty *&%$#! awesome. Keen to find out a bit more about it?
Hallsy6755
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion