Multi Day Hut Hike

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Multi Day Hut Hike

Postby Mum in Boots » Sat 03 Dec, 2022 8:22 am

Hi Hikers,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a multi day hike. We are a group of mums wanting to take our 12yr old kids on a 'coming of age' trip when they graduate primary school. Looking for something around 3 nights in length, challenging but achievable, scenery that will keep the kids engaged and with huts rather than camp sites. Planning to undertake the trip in Dec 2023 so lots of time to prepare but will need to be somewhere with a cooler climate. We are thinking Tassie or NZ but open to all suggestions.

Thanks
Mum in Boots
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Multi Day Hut Hike

Postby Warin » Sat 03 Dec, 2022 10:29 am

Huts will mean money, but then so will the travel from Qld. You will probably need to book well in advance .. so keep that in mind as time goes by quickly.

Easy organization ..

Tassie 3 Capes track - near Hobart.
Vic. Grampians - part of the peaks walk? https://grampianspeaks.com.au/#huts
NZ will have similar ... but with a different accent. Might be a good thing to get them 'overseas'.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Joynz » Sat 03 Dec, 2022 4:22 pm

Public huts or guided with private huts?

Suggestions:

Three Capes in Tassie.

Or the NZ Great Walks : Abel Tasman, Routeburne (over 3 nights), Kepler, Heaphy - the blocked section will probably be fixed by next December). But you have to be ready to book the minute they open the bookings.
Last edited by Joynz on Sun 04 Dec, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Sat 03 Dec, 2022 5:58 pm

Do the Overland Track in Tassie. A couple of families with young teenagers doing it when I walked it and for the kids, it was just one big adventure. They were all loving it.

It's set up for newbies with trail angels, rangers, huts and multiple transport providers. It even has helipads in places.

6 days of awesome, mostly easy walking and a heap of side trips for the fitter, more adventurous in the group.

BTW I noticed someone selling an 80L pack on the forum. Could be a good option for one of pack mules (parents).

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 04 Dec, 2022 7:59 am

Tazzie:
Short and free (apart from parks pass): Cynthia Bay to Narcissus to Pine Valley with day trip/s to the Labyrinth and/or Acropolis. This would be my first choice.
Short and free but harder: Frenchmans.
Short and $$: (Two out of) Three Capes, using the TasPAWS gluts.
Longer and $$: Full Overland Track.

By "short" I mean three nights.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby matagi » Sun 04 Dec, 2022 1:14 pm

I'd suggest Three Capes. 4 days, 3 nights. Mildly challenging, not too extreme weather wise and there are sculptures to look out for along the way with explanations in the guide book about their meaning. it's hut based, mattresses provided so you only need sleeping bag and liner. Cooking facilities provided so only need to carry food and eating utensils (cups, bowls/plates,cutlery). It's also easy to get transport to and from Hobart.

Or, if you want to hike some of the Capes for minimal cost, camp at Fortescue Bay and do a series of day walks eg Cape Huay, part of the Tasman Coastal Track, there's a shipwreck at Canoe Bay (deliberately scuttled to create a breakwater). Cape Pillar would be an overnighter. If you chose to camp at Fortescue Bay, you'd need to hire a vehicle to get there.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 08 Dec, 2022 9:09 am

There are plenty of public huts in Kosciuszko National Park and the Bogong High Plains. These are often cited as refuge only, and there may be other parties in the huts, so tents must be carried. A 3-4 day loop is Round Mountain, Farm Ridge, O'Keefes Hut, Jagungal, Derschkos Hut, Round Mountain. taking four days will avoid rushing. Go clockwise to cross the Tumut River on the first day. O'Briens Hut is a possible place to stay before or after the walk, but it may be crowded on Friday nights and weekends

https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28837
https://actelan.com/2017-04-02-jagungal-circuit/
http://www.johnevans.id.au/Pages/Walk%2 ... 23-25.html
https://khuts.org/index.php/huts/kosciu ... briens-hut
https://khuts.org/index.php/huts/kosciu ... keefes-hut
https://khuts.org/index.php/huts/kosciu ... rshkos-hut
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Joynz » Thu 08 Dec, 2022 12:49 pm

I wonder if the OP was seeking info on huts because she is trying to lighten the load - for her and the kids - by using huts with bunks and mattresses instead of having to carry a tent and mat?
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 09 Dec, 2022 7:07 am

The OP may well be seeking a walk that does not require carrying much gear. My post was to advise the OP about the possibility of camping at public huts, and using the huts if the weather is bad. Four days for the Jagungal loop is viable for children, with care needed on the Tumut crossing. If that sounds too hard then out and back on the Toolong Range is an option - flat, good scenery, easy navigation, and no river crossing.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Fri 09 Dec, 2022 2:00 pm

Lophophaps wrote:The OP may well be seeking a walk that does not require carrying much gear. My post was to advise the OP about the possibility of camping at public huts, and using the huts if the weather is bad. Four days for the Jagungal loop is viable for children, with care needed on the Tumut crossing. If that sounds too hard then out and back on the Toolong Range is an option - flat, good scenery, easy navigation, and no river crossing.

And the OP is silent after almost a week. Great bunch of people here willing to help. I would suggest waiting for a response before anymore effort is put in.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Fri 09 Dec, 2022 6:37 pm

using huts with bunks and mattresses instead of having to carry a tent and mat?

Hum - there may be a few huts which actually have mattresses, but very few!
I know of only one in KNP. Light air mats are advised.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sun 11 Dec, 2022 8:51 pm

Check out the Green Gully track. Not as amazing a landscape as Tasmania but should suit everyone. A day trip to get nearby at Port Macquarie or Walcha or Armidale, a day trip home to Qld. Add in some beach time or the Waterfall Way sightseeing to make a week of it.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sun 11 Dec, 2022 8:53 pm

Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion