Leave No Trace- what are three things that you do?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm curious- what do we all do to minimize our impact on the bush? Here's three things I can think of off the top of my head I/we (my family) do to reduce our impact.

1) Always pack out more trash than we came with (always easy to do)

2) Always be respectful of noise in the bush- especially at night

3) Never feed the wildlife, no matter how pathetic, tempting, cute or otherwise they may be.

So what are three things you do?
the_camera_poser

Re: Leave No Trace- what are three things that you do?

Postby corvus » Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:37 pm

1 sometimes
2 sorry I snore
3 they have been known to help themselves
:?
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby tasadam » Sun 13 Sep, 2009 9:43 am

There is a good resource here.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Steve » Sun 13 Sep, 2009 1:08 pm

I've stumbled across this site before: http://www.lnt.org.au/
7 Principles of Leave No Trace
Principles of Leave No Trace

* Plan Ahead and Prepare
* Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
* Dispose of Waste Properly
* Leave What You Find
* Minimise Campfire Impacts
* Respect Wildlife
* Be Considerate of Your Hosts and Other Visitors
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pandah » Sun 13 Sep, 2009 3:01 pm

In addition to taking out everything that i bring in ie. rubbish i also never take out anything i personally didnt lug in. For example rocks or animals or anything that might distrub the balance or the immediate area. I dont know how big of a deal this really is, but i always looked at it like - it wasnt mine in the first place, so leave it alone.

Also, i try not to kick over rocks and stuff around water areas, again i dont really know how big of a deal this could be but i've seen tourists kicking over some larger rocks in a smaller water fall area and found it really annoyed me to see them disrupting the area like that.
That's not a tree.
Pandah
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby walkinTas » Sun 13 Sep, 2009 10:57 pm

The trick is to not take the rubbish in with you in the first place. Repack as much as possible.

Pandah wrote:For example rocks or animals or anything that might disturb the balance or the immediate area. I dont know how big of a deal this really is, but i always looked at it like - it wasnt mine in the first place, so leave it alone.
Its a good point Pandah. One of the principles of LNT is to leave things where you find them (take nothing but pictures). Moving rocks, for any reason, is definitely not LNT.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 9:02 am

walkinTas wrote:The trick is to not take the rubbish in with you in the first place. Repack as much as possible.

I used to repack almost everything into new zip-lock bags. This works very well. But more recently, I've been thinking that this is creating even more non-biodegradable plastic rubbish (not in the bush, as I don't leave it there, but in the landfill dumps where my rubbish from home ends up). So I'm trying to be more careful. I still re-pack a lot of things into zip-lock bags, but where things can be left in their original packaging without to much disadvantages I do (eg, I'll remove the outer cardboard box from some products, and just take them in their inner plastic covering).

On some walks, I'll actually pack a lot of my food into a large hard plastic container (on walks where I'm carrying breakable dried biscuits or eggs, or anything else fragile). This way, I don't need to worry so much about the packaging of each individual item.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 4:37 pm

I repackage where possible also reuse my zip-lock bags several times and use hard plastic containers, don't use toothpaste.
That is three things.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby north-north-west » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 8:26 pm

No soap, no washing, bicarb instead of toothpaste.
No campfires.
Pack it all out - including OPR (Other Peoples' Rubbish).
Nag at those who don't do the same . . . :oops:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby SurferShane » Tue 29 Sep, 2009 3:29 pm

Just thought I would upload a photo of the poster the NPS like to hang in the dunnies – a nice comical way to get the message across!

Sorry the image is a bit hard to read due upload limits I can't go much bigger.

OT1+174.jpg
OT1+174.jpg (52.56 KiB) Viewed 16527 times

The only other comment I would like to make on this subject is that if you see someone doing the wrong thing please try to explain the errors of their ways politely instead of jumping down there throats. For instance, on a recent trip I had someone get lecturous because they thought I was eating the emergency food when I thought I was doing the right thing disposing of other people’s leftovers that would have done nothing else but attract vermin into the hut. In fact, one of the first things I usually have to do when I regularly get to Selby Alley Hut in the Barrington Tops NSW is to start burning all the soiled foodstuffs and junk that people have left in the hut. (noting there is way too much to carry out and fires are still permitted in the park). In the harsh environment up there it does not even take long for tins to deteriorate and the rats have even chewed the corner off an aluminium food safe. Then no wonder there are serious problems with rat infestations in the hut?

I know this bloke was probably trying to do the right thing (maybe whilst impressing a couple of ladies present? God bless testosterone the need to establish alpha male dominance; regardless, being behaviour I would rather leave down the pub). However, this is not the first time this has happened to me. On my earlier trip to Frenchman’s Cap, despite the fact I was doing my best to be ethical, I had a couple of “greenie” girls pick holes in about everything I did. To shut them up I started raving about Alexander Pearce and my subsequent theories of lightweight trekking before sitting back peacefully to some local smoked trevalla and a nice bottle of Tasmanian resiling. Yes – the wine bottle went home with me to be deposited in a bin and was not left as a "candle holder" as the girls had insinuated.

Really, I go out the bush to relax and avoid conflict. Having people breath down my neck with “issues” is the last thing I am looking for. Then, while there I do my best to do the right thing and just because I don’t wear designer gear or rave on about environmental concerns does not mean that I do not respect the wilderness.
Last edited by SurferShane on Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby flyfisher » Tue 29 Sep, 2009 9:47 pm

Good onya Shane, I'm on your team there :wink:
ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Nuts » Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:15 pm

Yer, these things can go a bit far... sometimes it seems that if the fashion gurus and society trendsetters didnt get involved in the environmental 'scene' and with outdoor gear then the outdoors would not be half as popular... As with so many things 'looking good doing it' is as (or more) important as the outcome....
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby SurferShane » Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:13 pm

Sorry to go on a sidetrack, but when I met Son of a Beach, Wotrack and later an English couple at Frenchman’s they explained to me a bit about the division between “greenies” and “rednecks” in Tasmania. Apparently in a lot of peoples minds there is not a lot of mid ground. I have a funny feeling that when I am unshaven and wearing my polyester/cotton King Gees instead of Columbia or another brand name trouser and talking about mining or fishing, I get framed as the later. Like anything political this can become a game that can go too far, get offensive and become down-right nasty.

Being an avid Wild reader from the early 1980’s I have also seen the same polarisation occur in this publication. I am sure when I was younger that there were many more practical articles about bushcraft and survival and little in-depth talk about of politics and policy? (Maybe a topic for the controversy section?)

Nevertheless, the three biggest things I try to do when I am out bush is to be totally self sufficient, travel safely and try to leave things in the same or even better condition than when I found them. The first might not sound too significant, but I am sure that on my September Overland trip my four season’s bag negated the burning of copious amounts of fuel in a hut all night to keep me warm. Then to date, I am glad to say that I have not needed to waste resources by unnecessarily being rescued. The third is self explanatory.
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby olblackbilly » Sat 03 Oct, 2009 8:12 pm

i once drew a breath,.......but it wasn"t mine though,...i took it out anyway....... :)
olblackbilly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tas-man » Sat 03 Oct, 2009 9:58 pm

olblackbilly wrote:i once drew a breath,.......but it wasn"t mine though,...i took it out anyway....... :)

Love it 8) very original . . . reminds me of Spike Milligan eg "I walked into the room, . . . the blinds were drawn . . . . but the furniture was real :!: :lol:
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gippsmick » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 5:21 pm

All of the above are simple and easy methods for leaving no trace that I certainly follow and hope that most people do.
However, there are others out there that would argue its not enough. I did a back country trip with a fella (friend of a friend) last winter and he had some fairly serious ideas of what leaving no trace meant. He was great in not preaching or pushing his methods on others.
What do you guys think? Some of his methods include:
    * Straining all washing up water through a sponge to collect and carry out food scraps.
    (I now do this.)
    * Carrying out all human waste, secured in a several dry sacks
    (just can't bring myself to do this one yet - don't mind the collecting but can't envisage carrying in my pack.
    * No moving rocks, logs etc... to use for camp furniture.
    * No walking poles
    (sure to reignite the debate).
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 7:28 pm

Something that comes to mind, having just returned from a 3 day walk, is that wherever possible I try to step on rock rather than mud / dirt / vegetation / whatever. Many tracks you find you get an option, and I have a bit of a knack for looking a few metres ahead of me and building my foot plan on where I think my best route is over a section.
I also find that rhythm gets severely mucked up if I am walking too close behind someone and it's just not comfortable.
On a similar note, but not relevant to this topic, is in keeping a similar altitude. On undulating ground you can often find a route across rocks that allow a smoother transition, even if it means going a little side to side, I find this easier than stepping down then up again.
I remember reading a topic ages ago where the old timers seem to glide effortlessly across terrain and I can understand the principal.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby north-north-west » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 6:44 pm

tasadam wrote:... wherever possible I try to step on rock rather than mud / dirt / vegetation / whatever....

Yeah, I do that as much as possible, too. I'm still amazed at the number of people I see who seem to think that walking on mud is somehow 'better' than stepping on rocks, just 'cause the mud's on the track and the rock isn't. Always watch what's ahead and work out your footing in advance.
Last edited by north-north-west on Wed 14 Oct, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby spider » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 8:39 pm

1. Yep, I usually take out other peoples' rubbish also.

2. I'll also walk on rocks if I can. If I can't, I'll go through the mud. I figure if I have paid for 'waterproof' boots I may as well use them.

3. If I can, I will wait until I get home to do my 'business'. Although I have to admit the principle reason for this is not usually leaving no trace. Especially if it's raining or snowing.
spider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Cocksy_86 » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 9:49 pm

Honestly, and I know I'll be shot for saying this, I really struggle with the 'digging a hole and pooing in it' thing. I know I should, I know there's a thousand environmental, hygiene, ethical, community, safety reasons why I should. I think I just get that tired, sore, and feeling sorry for myself, I just couldn't be bothered. Then I try to dig the hole and the ground is either rocky, or full of fine tree roots, and I just convince myself to just go...stuff it. Not only that, when I have to go...I have to go pretty soon. So to try to move the poo into the hole appears all too much.

But, friends that hike with me never have problems burying their own faecal waste. Not sure what to do here except to go and dig a couple of holes after setting up camp in preparation for "delivery".
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby tasadam » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 10:29 pm

Cocksy_86 wrote:Honestly, and I know I'll be shot for saying this.....

I reckon you're right.

Wasn't you in the last photo of this sequence was it?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Cocksy_86 » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 7:46 am

tasadam wrote:
Cocksy_86 wrote:Honestly, and I know I'll be shot for saying this.....

I reckon you're right.

Wasn't you in the last photo of this sequence was it?

pffft...I still go 100m from water. Just wanted an open discussion about dealing with pooing and exhaustion. Thanks.
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 8:49 am

Cocksy_86 wrote:Honestly, and I know I'll be shot for saying this, I really struggle with the 'digging a hole and pooing in it' thing. I know I should, I know there's a thousand environmental, hygiene, ethical, community, safety reasons why I should. I think I just get that tired, sore, and feeling sorry for myself, I just couldn't be bothered. Then I try to dig the hole and the ground is either rocky, or full of fine tree roots, and I just convince myself to just go...stuff it. Not only that, when I have to go...I have to go pretty soon. So to try to move the poo into the hole appears all too much.

But, friends that hike with me never have problems burying their own faecal waste. Not sure what to do here except to go and dig a couple of holes after setting up camp in preparation for "delivery".

Maybe you're walking too far/too long and need to change things a little bit.
If everybody did that (pooped on the ground) the bush wouldn't be a very nice/safe place to visit.
I can relate to being tired and sore (nearly 65) but if you are caught short you can do your business and then dig a hole and bury it. Largely a matter of making it important enough in your own mind.
Perhaps just a bit more effort required. :wink:
ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby walkinTas » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 9:03 am

I have to agree with ff. Stopping to bury, even after the event, takes only a few short minutes. Its a necessity. Otherwise we'll read more posts like this.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cocksy_86 » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 9:10 am

Cheers for the tip. I take a bright orange plastic shovel for digging. It just doesn't really do the job. I almost feel like I need to take a maddick to dig a hole that big. What do you guys use to dig?
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 9:19 am

Others too have said the orange spade doesn't do the job well. Its all I've ever carried. I found the trick is to use a stabbing action rather than a digging action in harder ground. I just bought an ipood, so I will be able to compare the two tools on my next walk.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 10:25 am

The plastic orange spades are terrible. However I did use them for years. I eventually learned that the trick is to push them straight into the ground, then pull them straight out again the same way the went in, and do not attempt to lever any dirt out of the ground with them until you've finished cutting right around your hole. The lightest bit of bending pressure and the handle snaps straight off. Use this cutting action to cut a full circle (cone actually) in the ground. You then have a cone shaped plug that is reasonably easy to remove by hand (or with the spade) if the ground is not too crumbly. Afterwards the plug just goes straight back on top again.

I currently use an iPood, which is OK, but not brilliant. It's a LOT better than the orange spade however.

There is a whole topic on this HERE which you might find interesting.

I do agree with others that you need to seriously work on changing how you deal with the problem. I know of some people that dig a hole as soon as they get to camp so that it's ready for them when they need it later. I don't think this is ideal, but it's a LOT better than leaving poo lying around on the ground. I know it sounds harsh, but I mean this in a constructive way: If you cannot go bushwalking without leaving poo lying around on the ground, then you really shouldn't go bushwalking, as you are being a serious health hazard to other walkers, as well as significantly disturbing the wilderness experience of others. Having said that, I wish you the best and hope you find a satisfactory way of dealing with the problem.

I agree that digging holes in most locations is difficult. But with practice, it definitely does get easier. I find it a lot easier now after working on my technique (although it is still difficult in some spots).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 10:34 am

Your not the lone ranger cocksy! I wonder how many people are in a hurry and think 'its just this once'?I also wonder whether many peoples efforts at burying turds is more than a token if it All doesnt end up at least deep enough, standing on end say... Dug out again buy critters in the morning.
I normally take a large snow peg and use it in a stabbing, auger sorta way. As it can be a few days between deposits (for me) at least the peg has obvious other uses.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 4:51 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:The plastic orange spades are terrible. However I did use them for years. I eventually learned that the trick is to push them straight into the ground, then pull them straight out again the same way the went in, and do not attempt to lever any dirt out of the ground with them
yep! That's what I mean by a stabbing action. Works best.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cocksy_86 » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 5:33 pm

So here is my second question. Something that I was surprized to find out and actually implemented on the last hike. Fire Scars. Who here takes steps to prevent fire scars? Brisbane Bushwalkers Club introduced me to it. Where you dig a small hole in the ground and place that dirt to the side, build the fire and then once out, scatter the ash around the place, then place the dirt back in the hole.

Now, I rarely have a fire anyways, as I don't like to take away wood that will decompose and fertilize the soil, I don't really have a need with my metho stove doing a cleaner job, and I don't like to draw attention to myself. But last hike the morale and temperature was so low that I thought it necessary. Apparently the damage a fire scar does to the ground is quite dramatic, taking 11 years for recovery. Even a small amount of fires in a concentrated area can be rather damaging to the surrounding flora.

I'm asking because I rarely see it mentioned in low impact hiking acticles. Does anyone here take steps to prevent fire scars? Does anyone else know anymore details on it? What's your thoughts?
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion