Missing Victorian hiker possibly killed

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Missing Victorian hiker possibly killed

Postby DanYong » Sun 22 Mar, 2015 11:44 pm

Tragic. Makes me think what's out there. Perhaps I should carry a "bush knife" for protection.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/missi ... m423j.html
DanYong
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Missing Victorian hiker possibly killed

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 2:36 am

But they have semiautomatics. Don't think knife is the key to self protection here.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 5:46 am

Hmm reminds me of that thread where the american woman was killed. People said it couldnt happen here...
Tragic
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 7:02 am

I come across MaryJane crops all the time and I've never had a problem, they almost always have electric fences around them to keep of the deer and wallabies
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 7:09 am

whats the population of australia? what are the chances of this happening to an individual? what are the chances of having a car accident?
perspective....
for all the stories tha come out of america, its a population of over 300 million.... you're far far safer in the wilderness there since the vast majority of the 30,000 people shot dead there every year are shot in urban environments...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby DanYong » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 8:20 am

Moondog55 wrote:I come across MaryJane crops all the time and I've never had a problem, they almost always have electric fences around them to keep of the deer and wallabies

Really. Shouldn't you be reporting it to the police?
DanYong
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DanYong » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 8:22 am

wayno wrote:whats the population of australia? what are the chances of this happening to an individual? what are the chances of having a car accident?
perspective....
for all the stories tha come out of america, its a population of over 300 million.... you're far far safer in the wilderness there since the vast majority of the 30,000 people shot dead there every year are shot in urban environments...

This story didn't "come out of the USA" it came out of AUS, Vic.
DanYong
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:08 am

DanYong wrote:
wayno wrote:whats the population of australia? what are the chances of this happening to an individual? what are the chances of having a car accident?
perspective....

yes and its one incident out of an entire state... of how many millions of people? how many people will die this week in road accidents this year?
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanYong » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:55 am

wayno wrote:
DanYong wrote:
perspective....

yes and its one incident out of an entire state... of how many millions of people? how many people will die this week in road accidents this year?

I'm not looking at the stats or probabilities. Its just very concerning that there are in this country illegal drug farms and that one can stumble onto one without knowing. Let's not compare ourselves to the land of chaos (USA). We should compare ourselves and our wilderness areas against the likes of NZ, Taiwan (which btw has more than 100 mountains over 3000 meters and is very safe), Japan, or even our neighbouring state - Tasmania.
DanYong
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby whitefang » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 10:04 am

Completely off topic, but the USA has some excellent wilderness areas. Just look at the Sierras, Utah and Arizona for the canyonlands, the pacfic northwest, yellowstone NP, colorado, Alaska... and those are just well known places.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby wayno » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 10:18 am

NZ has no shortage of illegal dope plantations as well and some rather tense dope growers, but your statistical chances of getting killed by them is virtually nil, tiny little area of land that it is.... theres still plenty of space to spare... no amount of trying by the police has ben able to even make a dent in the dope crop...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 10:22 am

DanYong wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:I come across MaryJane crops all the time and I've never had a problem, they almost always have electric fences around them to keep of the deer and wallabies

Absolutely not
I'm not a believer in the governments power to restrict individual freedoms
Should never have been made illegal in the first place, my grandparents were born last century and they told me it was one of the most common of the traditional bush medicines available at the turn of the century and even my ultra conservative Irish Grandmother used it
her comment was that it was typical of the B****** English to ban poor peoples medicines in favour of the pharmacists profits [ She did hate the English ] and I believe my maternal Grandfather may have grown some in his back yard from time to time
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 10:24 am

Dan 99% of the dope is grown under lights in the suburbs and isn't the same plant, Sensimillia won't grow in the bush
I'm far more worried about the Meths lab in the next street blowing up and taking us with it
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:42 am

Moondog55 wrote:.........
I'm far more worried about the Meths lab in the next street blowing up and taking us with it

X2 MD

Tragic as the OP is, this is very old news, 7 years old. It seems the family has brought it to the surface on or about an anniversary of the gentlemans disappearing. I feel strongly for the family and don't blame them for bringing up what appears to be a poorly investigated disappearance. It is tough enough to lose a loved one but to never really know why someone didn't come home would be the worst imaginable.

This is not a wilderness incident either, Dom Dom Saddle is on a main highway just out of Melbourne.
I mention this to highlight the fact that the area is easily accessible to anyone who would want to go there.

So we are not being killed off in the wild country and to my way of thinking the further from the big smoke you get the safer you are in terms of meeting some nutter that would do you in.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:58 pm

7 years So needs the ruling so the estate can be settled up
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanYong » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:28 pm

Interesting points of views from everyone.... :)
yes perhaps the further you get the less likely u run into some nutter.
DanYong
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby devoswitch » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 8:55 am

Moondog55 wrote:
DanYong wrote:

Absolutely not
I'm not a believer in the governments power to restrict individual freedoms
Should never have been made illegal in the first place, my grandparents were born last century and they told me it was one of the most common of the traditional bush medicines available at the turn of the century and even my ultra conservative Irish Grandmother used it
her comment was that it was typical of the B****** English to ban poor peoples medicines in favour of the pharmacists profits [ She did hate the English ] and I believe my maternal Grandfather may have grown some in his back yard from time to time

Very well said Moondog and congrats for being one of the very few individuals willing to speak up against the governments atrocious ban against such an amazingly healing plant.

I also come across a fair bit of it in the bush however it's usually booby traps that you have to be more aware of than people with guns. There's a lot of holes with spikes and fish hooks hanging from thin line you can hardly see until too late.
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby walkerchris77 » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:05 am

Stuffed up world we live in. Sad..
walkerchris77

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:11 am

It's why I think the constitution needs to be rewritten to include a bill of rights so people with very narrow word views can't do this sort of thing in the future
As for the poor bloke who went missing it's probably nothing sinister at all. I remember being caught short on a popular track in a well traveled area a while ago and while looking for somewhere private to take care of business I tripped over a blowdown and almost broke a leg
If the same thing happened to this bloke and no-one heard his shouts for help [ and I know how hard it is to hear a shout in thick bush] and he was unable to crawl to the path in 4 days he's toast usually
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:32 am

On the point of medicinal use, in the modern era of science, there are many alternate medications that can far appropriately treat the various conditions so named. Dope is a barbiturate and it only masks symptoms than actually treat diseases. For that, opium and heroin might even do better. All with addictive properties. Nice?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vicrev » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 10:02 am

Curious to know the medicinal benefits of this "" amazing healing plant"".........
vicrev

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 10:08 am

Simply feeling good could be considered medicinal
I don't use but personally I consider prohibition the absolute worst type of lawmaking. It punishes and turns into criminals otherwise normally law abiding citizens
PM incoming GPS
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 10:54 am

GPSGuided wrote:On the point of medicinal use, in the modern era of science, there are many alternate medications that can far appropriately treat the various conditions so named. Dope is a barbiturate and it only masks symptoms than actually treat diseases. For that, opium and heroin might even do better. All with addictive properties. Nice?

Keep in mind that analgesics are addictive as well and there are s loads of people addicted to them.
I'm not a "smoker" but I think the real deal is an issue of taxation.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 11:45 am

neilmny wrote:Keep in mind that analgesics are addictive as well and there are s loads of people addicted to them.
I'm not a "smoker" but I think the real deal is an issue of taxation.

Hence anything beyond Panadeine are controlled.

Taxation tends to induce a drag. Nothing is simple.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 12:37 pm

To get back to the OP I am generally distrustful of the Victorian Police and I assume as a matter of personal distrust that anything they say like this is in pursuit of a separate political agenda to increase their own powers
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 4:49 pm

My wife and i went up there after the official search was called off to help look for Warren.

I dont think ive ever hiked off track in bush so thick, damp and slippery as hell (as a deer stalker who spends more time off track then on thats saying something!).

I never bought into the whole murdered theory from the get go and until there is solid proof ill continue to believe he had some sort of accident (tripped/fell or heart attack etc) and in bush that thick he could have been feet from searchers and they never saw him.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby DarrenM » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 6:13 pm

Travis22 wrote:My wife and i went up there after the official search was called off to help look for Warren.

I dont think ive ever hiked off track in bush so thick, damp and slippery as hell (as a deer stalker who spends more time off track then on thats saying something!).

I never bought into the whole murdered theory from the get go and until there is solid proof ill continue to believe he had some sort of accident (tripped/fell or heart attack etc) and in bush that thick he could have been feet from searchers and they never saw him.

Travis.

I have the same kind of thought process about anyone missing in similar circumstances. There were some unlikely, but certainly probable scenarios put forward for the Canadian chap that went missing in Kosciuszko recently, and after getting involved came to the same conclusion. We could have waked within two feet of him and never have known.

Good on you for getting involved too.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 11:02 pm

Moondog55 wrote:I don't use but personally I consider prohibition the absolute worst type of lawmaking. It punishes and turns into criminals otherwise normally law abiding citizens

This could apply against any law, without any laws you would have no criminals.
Without laws against murder, murderers would be normal law abiding citizens. Ditto for theft, extortion, rape, and pedophillia. I'm not saying that you support these, rather mentioning what is often considered a fallacy of defining lawmaking like in this way.

I personally think there is a lack of evidence, but that there is a potential for cannabinoid receptor based therapy, but that similar to willow bark tea, there needs to be a pure chemical structure, with defined concentration and dosing (in the case of willow bark tea, its aspirin).
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 7:13 am

That's taking it a little far
I guess I should have stated that what an individual does to himself and by himself that does no harm to other people in no concern of lawmakers. Like peoples sexuality or religious beliefs
BTW it isn't aspirin Aspirin was a trademarked product name that has become generic over time
Acetalsalicylic acid just doesn't roll off the tongue very well
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 8:17 am

Moondog55 wrote:I guess I should have stated that what an individual does to himself and by himself that does no harm to other people in no concern of lawmakers. Like peoples sexuality or religious beliefs.

Very well put.
(Although the problem with religion is that people do have this insistence on passing it on to their children...)
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion