Tasmania and Stewart Island

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Tasmania and Stewart Island

Postby angels » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 5:57 am

Hi there,

has somebody been tramping in Tasmania and in Stewart Island? I am going to Tasmania in December and I would like to know if the walks are as tough as in Stewart Island.
angels
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Re: Tasmania and Stewart Island

Postby whiskeylover » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 6:07 am

That is way too broad a question - it depends where you want to go and what you want to see. From what I can tell Stewart island is very small and has a very easy mostly boardwalk and gravel track with a little mud. We have some tracks like that, but you might need to do more of your own research ( maybe on this site) or Google and then ask more specific questions - there is really no comparison - are you aware of how big Tassie is? Will be glad to help with more info if you know what you want to do.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 7:16 am

If you don't find anyone who has walked in both places, let us know what the tracks on Steward Island are like, and then let us know which track(s) in Tasmania you're interested in, and we can give you a description of the Tasmanian track(s).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Penguin » Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:31 pm

I have done some walking on Stewart Island, and lots in Tassie.

We did the amended walk, that is we did not circumnavigate the Island. In the three days we pottered around we found mud, good tracks, some great views, alot of water in places, heaps of other walkers, good huts and a large kiwi (the bird).

As pointed out earlier - Tassie is a much bigger island so a greater diversity of conditions. We did not get down to the southern end of Stewart so I cannot comment on whether the mud is as boggy as the Loddon Plains on a bad day or not.

The best I can say is that as experienced Tassie walkers we felt at home on Stewart Island.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby angels » Thu 23 Oct, 2008 6:41 am

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for your quick response!
Yeah, I should have been more specific. We have been tramping in Stewart Island, around the north circuit, and in December we want to go to Tasmania, to walk from Port Davey to the end of the South Coast track and also the Frenchmans Cap. Stewart Island was extremely muddy, quicksand crossing, one river and one hour along the rocks. I must say that it was tricky, a lot up and down with difficult terrain most of the time. I have done a lot of tramping in my life, but now I am having problems with my knee, therefore I would like to have an idea of how difficult are the long bushwalks in Tasmania are, and the only way I can think about it is comparing Tasmania walks against Stewart Island walks.
Thanks for your help guys!
angels
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 23 Oct, 2008 7:24 am

One of the things the Frenchmans Cap track is most known for is the mud. The Lodden Plains are generally referred to as the 'Sodden Lodden'. I've been groin deep in mud there. I'm working on getting a photo scanned of somebody pulling me out of the mud.

I've not done the south coast track, but I've heard the mud there is much the same.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby angels » Thu 23 Oct, 2008 9:54 am

and there is a lot up and down, because that is what it worries me.
angels
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:34 am

Yes, there is quite a lot of long steep ups and downs on the Frenchmans Cap track (not so much on the first/last day, which is mostly just muddy). I can't comment on the SW track much except that I've heard that the Ironbound Range section of the track is a very big long hill to get over.

BTW, I just scanned the following photo which illustrates what the mud can be like on these tracks.

In this case I went down until the bottom of my pack was resting on the mud in a bog on the 'Sodden' Lodden Plains.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Thu 23 Oct, 2008 6:37 pm

Melaleuca to Cockle Creek is a beautiful walk. I really enjoyed the beach walking. The Ironbounds are an impediment, especially as you see them for a couple of days before you actually climb them. It isn't a hard climb. it is more the weather while you are on them. Its only about a 800m climb. The western side is alot easier to negotiate than the east where there is alot more tree roots and mud.

Great walk but be prepared for bad weather.

Going toFrenchmans, found the first day and the last long and not that special, unless you like mud! I would recommend staying at Tahune, don't do the summit as a day trip from Vera. If you get a clear morning at Tahune the cliffs of Frenchmans turn golden, you cant see Frenchmans from Vera.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:09 am

norts wrote: I would recommend staying at Tahune, don't do the summit as a day trip from Vera. If you get a clear morning at Tahune the cliffs of Frenchmans turn golden, you cant see Frenchmans from Vera.

Roger

What he said!
I have some fantastic golden cliff photos too.

I cannot imagine doing Frenchmans summit in a day from Vera - so much that would have to be rushed, and it's not exactly flat, either.
If your knees are like mine, they would enjoy the half day to Tahune, then half a day there to kick about / climb if you like.
Following day climb in morning if weather good then half a day back to Vera.
The mud sucks. Search this forum for mud. You'll see.
I am doing Cockle Creek to Melaleuca and possibly on to Scotts Peak in a month if all goes well, so cannot comment - yet.......
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Penguin » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 7:13 pm

The Mud on Stewart is special, as is the mud on the Lodden. If you can do one you can do the other.

I have climbed Frenchman's twice with no view. Next time we are going to stay at Vera, wait for a clear day and just go up for the view. I agree with Adam that puddling around Tahune is very pleasant. Love artichoke valley too. But now we just want the view. My mate has been up four times with no view!

Hopefully we will be doing the high rout to PB and then down the rest of the south west track in February.

P
Penguin

Postby angels » Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:08 am

Question about gaiters. I have never used ones, not even in Stewart Island. Gaiters originally are used in the snow, but I see here that kiwis use them for tramping. I have asked if they are thick enough to avoid a snake bite, as there is the only use I can find out for myself as the mud is going into the shoes with or without gaiters anyway, and I have never had the problem of having stones and twigs and if they come into my shoe, for me is easier to take it out then carry the gaiters all the time. I have the impression that they are too warm. But I am hearing and reading that you need gaiters to go tramping in Tasmania. Do you guys use them? And if yes, can you tell me why is so useful?
Thanks again.
Àngels
angels
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:57 am

Firstly, yes, gaiters can help in the (exceedingly unlikely) event of a snake bite. The fans would still penetrate the gaiters, but they'd then (hopefully) inject venom into the space between your gaiter and your leg. That's the idea, anyhow.

Yes, gaiters do stop mud getting into your boots in most occasions... even in quite deep mud. They need to be good gaiters though.

Yes, gaiters do stop sticks, stones, prickles, etc getting into your boots, and means you can walk all day without having to take your boots off for this problem.

Yes, gaiters do cause your lower legs to get hotter than they otherwise would. But Tasmania is not a terribly hot place anyhow, so that's only a problem during our brief hot summer season, and the occasional other freak hot days in spring and autumn. Even then, the protection they provide is worth it.

Furthermore, gaiters prevent your lower legs getting scratched to bits by tough, bristly and sharp vegetation, such as scoparia (commonly known as either 'bushwalkers friend', or '&^%$#@!'). Depending on which tracks/routes you walk, you can sometimes come home with any unprotected areas of your legs looking like you've been flogged with a cat-o-nine-tails.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robbo » Tue 04 Nov, 2008 10:34 am

Son of a Beach wrote:Firstly, yes, gaiters can help in the (exceedingly unlikely) event of a snake bite. The fans would still penetrate the gaiters, but they'd then (hopefully) inject venom into the space between your gaiter and your leg.

This is especially true with the tiger snake as has grooved rather than hollow fangs and gaiters will therefore keep by far the majority, if not all, the venom off one's skin. But snake bite is a very unlikely occurrence as Nik notes.

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby corvus » Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:56 pm

Robbo wrote:This is especially true with the tiger snake as has grooved rather than hollow fangs and gaiters will therefore keep by far the majority, if not all, the venom off one's skin. But snake bite is a very unlikely occurrence as Nik notes.

Regarding Tiger Snakes it has been pointed out to me that it has been known for this groove to meet up at the back in older thus bigger Tigers so they would be capable of "injecting " through cloth in the afforesaid unlikely occurrence :shock:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby angels » Fri 07 Nov, 2008 10:28 am

Hi again

Another question. At the beginning of each track, there is any information centre or something similar when people can leave the stuff that they do not need? Something like a locker for example.
Àngels
angels
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 07 Nov, 2008 11:30 am

angels wrote:Hi again

Another question. At the beginning of each track, there is any information centre or something similar when people can leave the stuff that they do not need? Something like a locker for example.
Àngels

Not on any track that I've seen.

The Overland Track does have information centres at each end, so I guess there's a slim possibility that the Parks department may offer such a service (only for the Overland Track), but if they do, I've never heard of it (best to call them up and ask).

Certainly on most Tracks in Tasmania, there is no building of any sort anywhere near the start/end of the tracks, and therefore there is nowhere for such lockers to be installed.

Were you thinking of any track(s) in particular?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:29 am

angels wrote:Hi again

Àngels

My short answer to this would also be No.
I take it you want to come to Tassie, so you are talking about regular (non bushwalking) gear, while you do a walk.
One option might be if you have some accommodation in mind, they might have a cloak room where you can explain your circumstances and see if you can return after your walk to get your gear.
Hope that helps.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby walkinTas » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 11:39 am

angels wrote:Another question. At the beginning of each track, there is any information centre or something similar when people can leave the stuff that they do not need? Something like a locker for example.
Àngels

Nik and TasAdam have covered most to this question. When you are in Melbourne for example you can pop your gear in a locker at Spencer Street Station (Southern Cross Railway Station) and then head off and do what-ever, and swipe your bank-card when you return to get your gear. Does anyone know of anything similar in Tasmania? There are Information Centres in Devonport, Launceston and Hobart, there are Intra-state Buses, and there are of course four airports, but I don't know if any of these have lockers.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 1:54 pm

It would be interesting to hear what the response would be from Tourism Tasmania.
"Is there anywhere I can store my gear safely in Tasmania while I, say, go on a bushwalk?"
Um, er, ah, gee.... That's a tough one.

Surely there are indeed lockers somewhere, maybe at the airports, but I really aren't sure.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby corvus » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 6:24 pm

Dont castigate me if my memory is wrong but I believe there is a facility at Lake St Clair for storage ,and at one time you could send your gear with the bus service just like any other freight when doing the OLT.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby angels » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 5:56 am

The reason why I want to know if there are lockers is because after tramping in Tasmania we go to travel around Australia and if we can leave some things in a locker, we safe to have to buy them again, as we want to take the minimum with us.
I also though about the airport, they normally have a storage where you can leave your stuff, I will be surprise if not. I will try to contact them to find it out and I let you know.
angels
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby angels » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 5:47 am

Hi, there is not baggage storage in Hobart's airport... shame. But it is possible to leave our stuff in backpackers, some do it for little money. That's good news!
angels
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Penguin » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi, there is not baggage storage in Hobart's airport... shame.

Airports don't seem keen on luggage lockers - something about tick, tick ..... boom

Having stored luggage at Bangkok on Sunday night - it had to be xrayed etc before storage.
Penguin

Postby angels » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:35 am

yep, that's right. Isn't it a shame? Backpackers will do it, anyway. I mean to keep our stuff. As soon I find the one, I will let you know.
angels
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kahtadin » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:33 pm

I seem to recall there was storage for a fee at the Tassielink terminal in Hobart. Anyone know anything about this ? I'm in the same boat storage wise, but have some other options.
kahtadin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Robbo » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 9:43 pm

kahtadin wrote:I seem to recall there was storage for a fee at the Tassielink terminal in Hobart. Anyone know anything about this ?

Just came across this on the Tassielink site: http://www.tigerline.com.au/walking-track-fares.htm
TassieLink provides a range of package fares organised especially for the bush walking enthusiast.
Ask us about our luggage storage in Hobart & Launceston.

I think this is what you were referring to...

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Return to Bushwalking Discussion