How to camp out --- 1877

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

How to camp out --- 1877

Postby Kainas » Tue 02 Dec, 2008 1:27 pm

I found this while looking for an ebook.

I have only scanned it briefly, but love it already:

Finally, leave your business in such shape that it will not call you back; and do not carry off keys, &c., which others must have; nor neglect to see the dentist about the tooth that usually aches when you most want it to keep quiet.
Attachments
17575-h.zip
How to camp out - Gould (1877)
(138.75 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: How to camp out --- 1877

Postby walkinTas » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 1:21 pm

It shows that "Light weight" is not just a modern consideration. There it is right there in probably the first book on the subject.
But let me caution you first of all about overloading, for this is the most natural thing to do. ...Very few young men who read this book will find it possible to enjoy themselves, and carry more than twenty pounds [9kg] a greater distance than ten miles [16 km] a day, for a week.

And it seem the footwear debate also had early beginnings!
You need to exercise more care in the selection of shoes than of any other article of your outfit. Tight boots put an end to all pleasure, if worn on the march; heavy boots or shoes, with enormously thick soles, will weary you; thin boots will not protect the feet sufficiently, and are liable to burst or wear out; Congress boots are apt to bind the cords of the leg, and thus make one lame; short-toed boots or shoes hurt the toes; loose ones do the same by allowing the foot to slide into the toe of the boot or shoe; low-cut shoes continually fill with dust, sand, or mud.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ben.h » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:46 pm

What a great book! Countless quotable gems in there :)

How to camp out --- 1877 wrote:Try to remember too, that it is nothing wonderful to camp out or walk; and do not expect any one to think it is. We frequently meet parties of young folks walking through the mountains, who do great things with their tongues, but not much with their feet. If you will refrain from bragging, you can speak of your short marches without exciting contempt
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kainas » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 5:39 pm

I read it at work, kept starting to laugh and quoting it outloud...ha...fun.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Bushwalking Discussion