Gas Help

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Gas Help

Postby Darren » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 10:16 am

G'Day everyone
I’m planning my yearly trip to Tassie and I need a little help. I land in Hobart at 8pm on a Thursday and the plan is to hire a car, drive up near the Frenchman’s track sleep the night and then set off to Frenchman’s and the Irenabyss the next morning. All good. My problem is in need a 200 g gas canister. I would say it will be at least 8 30pm by the time I leave the airport. Does any one have any recommendations on where I could get one at that time?
Thanks in advance
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Gas Help

Postby sthughes » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 3:33 pm

Hmm good question :?
Do Woolworths sell them? I have a feeling they do sell one sort, but it's just a hunch.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby stu » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 6:53 am

G'day Darren,

Thursday night is not really late night shopping, so you may have trouble. Some supermarkets may stock gas, but you'd be lucky to find the traditional screw top variety, probably more likely the puncture top variety. My only suggestion would be to contact Anaconda at Cambridge (close to the airport - http://www.anaconda.com.au/StoreLocations.aspx) & see if you can organise a drop off at the airport / credit card payment; maybe you could also contact a taxi company to do this for you? Sorry, the best I could think of. Frenchmans is a fantastic walk, hope you get a bluebird summit day :D
Later.
Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 8:38 am

sthughes wrote:Hmm good question :?
Do Woolworths sell them? I have a feeling they do sell one sort, but it's just a hunch.

I don't think Woolies supermarkets usually sell them, but I've been using ones from BigW for a couple of years. I think they are "Campmaster" brand, white cartridge with red logo. They work fine with my Kovea stove.

Looks like BigW have a store at Rosny Park/Bellerive, which I think is about 10km from the airport. IF they stock them, are open on Thursday night until 9pm, the flight is right on time and so on, it might serve as a backup plan to Stubowling's Anaconda idea, but would be very tenuous I think.

Are there any late night service stations that stock gas cartridges? Either around Hobart or along the Lyell Hwy, maybe New Norfolk?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Darren » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks for the help. Gas canisters are always my biggest stress on a trip to tassie. Ill keep trying but my backup backup plan is to take my little alky stove set up as well as i should be able to get metho at a servo. Ill just leave the stove im not using in the car.
Does any one know if they sell gas canisters at lake st clair? i cant remember
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby woka » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Darren. When will you be here? I can get one for you and meet somewhere if it helps. Only problem is that I'll be interstate from 10/12/08 to 1/1/08, but if your visit is outside those dates, I'm happy to help.
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Darren » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:29 am

Woka
Thanks mate that would be great. Im not going until 22/1/9. Its and extended australia day long weekend.
We can talk as it gets closer if thats ok.
Thanks again
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby woka » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 4:01 pm

No worries Darren, PM me about a week before and we'll organise it.
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Darren » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 4:26 pm

I've only recently discovered this site and this was my first post and i was helped out. Thats great . I love going to tassie when i can and its not just because its a nice place, theres some top people too as we've just seen.
Once again
thanks
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 6:20 pm

I would have thought that you could arrange for your Car Hire Company to have one or two in the car for you ? perhaps not.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby tastrax » Fri 05 Dec, 2008 7:22 pm

I am just around the corner from the airport if you strike any problems - 5 minute detour for you then you can be on your way. Happy to help out and it will save woka a trip up from Kingston!
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Darren » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 5:19 am

Tastrax, Woka
I wouldnt expect either of you to meet me, your already helping me out. Ill come to you ,its no prob. You seem to know each other so you decide who it would be easier for and ill come aroung and pick it up.
Once again fellas, thanks heaps
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 6:32 am

corvus wrote:I would have thought that you could arrange for your Car Hire Company to have one or two in the car for you ? perhaps not.

This would be my thinking too.
If not, and it were me, I would order and pay for one over the phone and arrange with the shop I am buying from (several bushwalking shops in Hobart) to deliver to the car hire company well in advance.
So long as the car hire company knows what's going on, everything should run smoothly.
Another option would be to find out whether the car hire company would actually get one for you - they have offices in town as well, so they could call in to one of the stores and get it so it would be in your car when you go to pick it up.

But, as typical with this forum and the generosity of its members, looks like you have a better offer than trying to get the hire company to do something.

By the way, I was at the Frenchmans walk start 2 days ago and the car park there now is excellent. The little gravel area on the other side of the road was all covered over ready for regeneration, and the car park at the start of the walk is HUGE and a little shelter there too. We walked down to the Franklin and there was a really good flow. There's a track worker there doing some whipper snippering too.

Cheers!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby woka » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 7:04 am

Sounds like it would be easier all round to go to Tastrax.

RE: car hire companies, it might just be my isolated experience, but I find it hard enough to get them to remember to leave a street directory in the car let alone anything else!
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Darren » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 4:11 pm

G'Day Tastrax Your pm is disabled.so how do you waant me to contact you.
Just to introduce myself I live in the hunter valley on the the foothils of the Barrington tops. This will e a big help to me. Last year i had an overnight stopover in Devonport in a motel and i had one sent there but this time im getting straight into it.
I just need one 200 g screw canister, dosnt matter what brand and i think they vary up to 220 ,it dosnt matter as ill only use about 3/4 of it in 5 days even if is very cold.
My flights are all booked so ill pm you after chrissy.
once again thanks
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion