off-track walking

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

off-track walking

Postby jules21 » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 6:19 pm

i was wondering if anyone was willing to share their views and wisdom with regards to off-track walking (bush bashing?)

i've been a bushwalker for some time, but nothing too serious, just sticking to tracks or the occasional expedition walk (kokoda) where your hand gets held throughout. however i'm getting back into it more now and i've started tackling some more demanding stuff.

i'm in Vic and was down in Wilson's Prom last weekend, where i attempted to walk to Tin Mine Cove with my partner (girlfriend). at one point we lost the trail and essentially found ourselves in thick vegetation (trees, undergrowth) with minimal visibility. with a map and compass, i had to make the decision about whether to push onwards and relocate the defined trail (apparently it reforms later on after Chinaman's Swamp), or play it safe and turn back.

i turned back, as i'm not that confident, but now i'm wondering if i can 'skill up' enough to safely tackle that sort of challenge. are there any tips that people can share? i can read a map and compass, but in this case there was just no reference to go off due to almost zero visibility. my fear was that if i left the defined trail (marked by ribbons) i wouldn't be able to find it again if i had to turn back.

i guess one obvious measure is to take a GPS, but it's kind of cheating isn't it?
jules21
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: off-track walking

Postby the_camera_poser » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 6:26 pm

Well, getting a helicopter ride out of the wilderness with a broken leg is cheating too, but I wouldn't turn it down.

TRhe Aussie bush is horribly confusing. I could wander for days in the forests of the US without getting lost, but 10 minutes off trail here and I'm a goner. Get a GPS!
the_camera_poser

Postby walkinTas » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 7:07 pm

The only thing you are cheating with a GPS is death. Well that may be a bit over-stated, but using technology isn't cheating its just common sense. A GPS is modern technology a compass is older technology - still just technology. The nice thing about a GPS is you can turn it on and keep your active track. Then you can walk for say half and hour through or around the obstacle (bush-bash). If you don't rejoin the track and are still concerned you can then set the GPS and retrace the track you just walked. Of course, learning to use the GPS properly is an important skill, so a few "safe" runs on tracks where you can't get lost would be a good idea before going off track. Always remember better safe than sorry. If you are in doubt or worried about the outcome then turning back is the better choice - much better than getting hopelessly lost.
Last edited by walkinTas on Tue 27 Jan, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby corvus » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 7:38 pm

My rule of thumb in Tassie Myrtle Forest is go back to the point where you were not lost i.e. last blaze or tape :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Clownfish » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 8:35 pm

I've had a couple of bush-bashing experiences, and they weren't pretty ...

Around '92, a group of us went to the then-little-visited Lake Elizabeth, near Forrest in the Otway Ranges of SW Victoria. We walked the track fine down to the lake, then returning on the opposite side of the lake, the track just ... vanished. We figured that keeping the lake on our right would get us back eventually, but it was *&%$#! tough going. We made it back to the car in full darkness - with only one little torch (got to see the legendary Otway glow-worms, though!).

When we did Dry's Bluff last year, it was surprising how easy it was to get lost if you missed the track. By backtracking 100 metres or so, we found it again -turned out we'd been within 50m of it the whole time! I used it as a good lesson to my kids in 1)Not panicking and 2)Recognising when to stop and rethink.
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jules21 » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 8:48 pm

thanks for the advice guys. it seems like a GPS may be another addition to my growing list of bushwalking expenditure items.

it's an eery feeling being in the middle of the bush, not sure if you can retrace your steps and relocate a track. sends a chill up my spine..
jules21
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wello » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 9:11 pm

Clownfish wrote:When we did Dry's Bluff last year, it was surprising how easy it was to get lost if you missed the track.

Amazing just how many people have had a few navigational difficulties on Dry's Bluff. I got seriously disoriented up there last year in low cloud. A couple of weeks later, I was reading Keith Lancaster's account of his trip up there in the 1930's to find that he'd had very similar problems.

Visual navigation is a heap easier than other methods in my opinion. Being able to see the feature and walking toward it just feels right. You do need a back up plan through, as high scrub, forrest or low cloud can all prevent you from seeing. A compass certainly helps, but it helps to know where you are first.

One off track "war story" if I may... We were walking from Bechervase to Thwaites plateau (near Federation Pk) via the Northern Lakes. The route down to the lake was fine, but the track then vanished at the bottom. We were a strong experienced party, so we chose to just head up the hill on the other side, as it was only 1km to the plateau. Five hours later we emerged, right on sundown! Scrub certainly has teeth down in those parts. This was a good lesson that it's worth spending a bit of time trying to find the easy way.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 9:20 pm

jules21 wrote:thanks for the advice guys. it seems like a GPS may be another addition to my growing list of bushwalking expenditure items.

it's an eery feeling being in the middle of the bush, not sure if you can retrace your steps and relocate a track. sends a chill up my spine..

Just a tip j21 dont rely entirely on the GPS you really know basic navigation to keep safe (for instance do you know where North is from where you are siting right now) sounds simple eh! can you read a Map and visualise the terrain.
Very basic things to practise between trips and very useful when on the track not a panacea but really gives you confidence to escape the (spine chill) :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Tony » Wed 28 Jan, 2009 7:59 am

Hi Jules21,

I do a lot of scrub bashing in the Australian Alps and in the Namadgi NP near Canberra, while the scrub is not as thick as in some parts of Tasmania it still can be very thick and 500m per hour is not unusual, after a while you get to learn lye of the land and navigation becomes easier, I do use a GPS, map and compass, if I am not the person with GPS I practice with map and compass as I did last weekend, I also check the area out on Google Earth and check it against maps ( this is not always possible as some areas are still low resolution).

We usually stick to the top of ridges, sometimes one side of a ridge is easier as it can be exposed to more sun and therefore be drier and less vegetation, gullies are usually very thick with scrub but not always, sometimes we walk in creeks or rivers as it is easier, this all comes with practice.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby NickD » Wed 28 Jan, 2009 8:39 am

Off-track can be an extremely tiring and ridiculous idea, but it can also be very rewarding. Technology aside, get some practice in easier areas. These usually occur in the higher areas, an example in Tasmania would be climbing Mt Byron from the Cuvier Valley track. Go somewhere where if you run into trouble, a good track is only a short retreat backwards. Practice in places where the vegetation isn't too harsh and visibility is good.

Also invest in some good garden gloves and something hardy to protect the rest of your body and your all sweet. :lol:
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Wed 28 Jan, 2009 10:00 am

corvus wrote:Just a tip j21 dont rely entirely on the GPS you really know basic navigation to keep safe (for instance do you know where North is from where you are siting right now) sounds simple eh! can you read a Map and visualise the terrain.
Very basic things to practise between trips and very useful when on the track not a panacea but really gives you confidence to escape the (spine chill)

Agree with Corvus (and others) 100%. I do use a GPS but mainly as a backup and for confirmation of my own estimates, distance walked, marking waypoints for future reference etc. I don't usually rely on it as the primary navigation tool. Remember also that if the batteries go flat, and you are caught without spares, you will need to revert to manual methods. I agree with the principle above of 1. Don't panic. 2. Stop and rethink, and also retrace your steps to where you were confident of your location.

For a recent "war story" of mine in Tasmania see http://www.bushwalkaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1594&sid=386a2d0504be394e2bb1b2a22ef6c5f7, where we had some navigation problems on day 6 of of our trip, complicated by weather conditions.

I wouldn''t count myself among the world's most experienced off-track walkers, but we do some from time to time. I love reading maps. I love poring over them to understand the terrain and estimate the distances and times involved. Using this method I've been able to make up some interesting circuits by joining tracked and trackless areas. I also research as much as possible, reading any published notes and other walkers' trip reports. It all helps.

My basic principle is to always know where I am (then I can't be lost :wink:). To do this, as far as practicable, I continuously review the terrain against the map as we progress. Some useful things are following creeks and rivers, sticking to the tops of ridges, and looking for prominent features that you can identify on a map. I've also found that descending a spur at the end of ridge can be a lot less scrubby and less steep than dropping off the sides. But it depends on the location.

One way of "practising", to gain more confidence, may be to set a simple course over easy terrain between two fire trails (and not too far apart; no more than 500m to 1km max.). This minimises the risk of getting lost. Take a compass bearing and stick to it. Even if you don't walk in a perfectly straight line, eventually you should arrive somewhere along the second trail. Better still aim for a feature on the second trail. That way you can work out the accuracy of your course (NB normally I would deliberately "aim off" the feature to improve the chances of locating it). But first read the map to ensure you are not going to be stopped by clifflines or other obstacles. Also confirm beforehand that the trails exist and are clearly defined. Build up from that to more difficult stuff.

There are some good publications that can help you with off-track navigation. You can download the one below for free from Geoscience Australia (federal govt agency) or $2-50 for hardcopy. It has basic info about how to navigate with topo maps etc.

http://www.ga.gov.au/image_cache/GA7194.pdf
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby jules21 » Wed 28 Jan, 2009 9:22 pm

very interesting to read the responses here. i might take some of these up when i get the opportunity.

one thing i find difficult is to judge distances. i find that i can struggle through thick bush for quite a while and then wonder how far i've gone, and therefore which landmark on a map i'm looking at.
jules21
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Wed 28 Jan, 2009 10:05 pm

jules21 very difficult thing to do especially in thick scrub/bush this is where the GPS comes into its own (provided that you have one that works under tree canopy)or even a pedometer will give you some indication .
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby DonQx » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:47 pm

top reply johnw!

I do a fair bit of off-track walking, prefer it over on-track. More entertainment, more new things to see. Spirit of adventure. Not always following everyone else's footsteps ...

Few top of the head comments:
1- off track is not the same as bush bashing I reckon, bush bashing is fighting you way through dense bush.
2- using a GPS isn't cheating, just another tool that you may chose to use
3- IMO using technology is common sense only if you also know what to do when it doesn't function
4- GPS's have been known not to function or to malfunction.
5- They depend entirely on the willingness of the US government, more specifically the US military, to keep the system up, available & accurate. They can change the system's accuracy without notice, or make parts of it unavailabel to suit whatever needs they may have
6- re-tracing steps isn't the only way to recover your position, learn & apply the concepts establishing estimated positions based on direction & distance (called Dead Reckoning in yachting, derived from 'deduced' reckoning)

back to work ...

:-) a.
Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sirius Tas » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi jules21,
First...don't ever think using a piece of technology is cheating....they're there specifically to help us enjoy what we do. It's almost the same as thinking that wearing a life jacket after falling out of a boat is cheating.....it may be that the only cheating involved is in cheating death...not to put to finer point on it.

As a road locator for FT for my entire life and until GPSr units were available the only method available for navigation was a compass and to a certain extent estimating distances. I don't know of any one who can accurately estimate a distance in really rough going. But no matter how long your journey...I found it was always best to try and break that journey into as many smaller parts as possible using various terrain features...which in road location are called control points. This aids in knowing where you are considerably....e.g. main saddles, larger creeks and rivers or passing various high points, ridges etc....mark them on your map as you pass them.

Start using a GPSr in conjunction with your compass...put some wpts in before you leave along your intended walk...try and navigate to those...but without just blindly following the GPSr arrow...try and use the compass more...as it's by far more accurate.
With the latest GPSr chipsets..or Sirf 111 as its called.....GPS coverage under a canopy has improved out of sight compared to the older units. I've not had a problem with my Garmin Map 60CSX any where. Also...the only real difference between the lower cost units are the various features...as the chipset is now mostly the same...but CHECK prior to purchase that it has the later Sirf 111 chipset....or equivalent.
Once you have became familiar with using GPS units you'll wonder why you didn't before. As with every thing its practice...practice.....practice.

Hope all goes well...let's know how things turn out.
Cheers...sT.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Iluvtheoutdawz » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 8:42 pm

Reading the various contributions I agree that like most things balance is the key; A GPS can be indispensible, I for one have learnt to rely on it, but I still use my map and compass to verify both postion and route. Worthwhile to note that in some places in the Tassie highlands the dolerite in the rocks will play havoc with your compass readings, (apparently the first person to observe this was Abel Tasman who logged the ill effects on his compass whilst exploring the Tassie coastline). Back in November, off track up on the Travellers Range we kept noticing the compass bearing was wandering well off the route indicated by the GPS, wasn't until we were back in Lake Snt Clair and chatting with a Ranger that he alerted us to the dolerite effect - worth knowing and something I will certainly be concious of in the future.
Iluvtheoutdawz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rcaffin » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 5:34 pm

In the Blue Mountains around Sydney most experienced walkers would be off-track more than half the time. OK, we use tracks to get to the START of the real walk. Then we use our brains, and a map and compass. The thing is, we don't WANT tracks proliferating through the bush. That lets tourists in, with all the problems that creates.

Equally, most experienced bushwalkers and club members in NSW don't carry a GPS. We got on fine with our navigation before the GPS was invented - what has changed since then? Brains, compass and map. They worked 50 years ago, and they work just as well or betetr today 9the maps are more accurate).

Of course, magnetic compasses don't rely on batteries...

Cheers
PS: yes, I have navigated all around SW Tassie with a compass and a sketch map, long before the GPS was invented.
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 5:54 pm

I agree that I much prefer to use a map and compass (partly because I've simply never tried a GPS). However, I would have to admit that I've been in a few situations that would be impossible to navigate with a map and compass in bad weather. Thankfully I've not yet been in those situations in bad weather. If that happens, I'd need to be prepared to either sit it out (and who knows how many days that would take?), or backtrack (if I'm sure enough that I could go back the same way). Either way, there are some potential dangers there.

Still I'm happy to keep going by map and compass myself.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Darren » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 7:26 pm

G'Day
Ill have to agree, technology makes us stupid. You only have to look at how many of those car navigators get sold to see that. How hard could it be to read a street directory? I have used GPS for about 14 years for bushwalking, 4wding and dirt biking but i mostly rely on the good old map and toppo.I only take the gps if I think there will be a specific need. Walking off track in fog or cloud would be one of them.
I like to rely on skills and have an interest in early explorers and the ways of early times and I feel I’m cheating sometimes. As with all things you should learn the basics first
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 9:11 pm

I own an up to date GPS but have not yet mastered its use so I rely on map and compass and my walking mates who know how to drive a GPS :?
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby olblackbilly » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm

Done heaps of bushbashing , not much fun when your in baurea or horizontal srub up the west coast of tassie especially with a full pack,i think we only progressed about 200 metres one day,try and avoid it these days.........olblackbilly
olblackbilly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 16 Mar, 2009 7:26 pm

Too add to this- I'm big, heavy and clumsy, so I try to avoid going bushbashing, as I do a bit of damage. 6 foot, 120 kg (not ALL fat) and size 11 boots can do a bit of damage. I don't feel that my personal interest in getting away from the madding crowd justifies the damage I'd do off trail.
the_camera_poser

Postby tasadam » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 4:13 pm

Interesting topic, interesting views.
Recently I did a multi-day walk where one of the days I covered a distance of about 3KM in 6 hours.
It was untracked, fairly thick scrub, including a climb in altitude of well over 300 metres.
The first 800 metres or so was buttongrass so was quick going. Gives you an idea that I was going pretty slow through it. Full, heavy packs, too.
I had the map (1:25,000), I had an idea of the route I was going to take, and I had mountains either side of me although a fairly large wide valley that I was heading up.
I had my compass set to follow the bearing I wanted.
In the thick of it, I was checking my route (looking at the compass to see which direction I wanted to go) every few steps. When you push between some bauera and cutting grass that has binded together, while swinging under a fallen tree, while not being able to see any landmark, you really can lose your sense of direction easily.
Often I would try and guess which way before looking at the compass then check the compass and see I was right, but more often I was wrong - emphasising the importance to check your route carefully and often when in the thick of it.
Sometimes you might have a bearing to follow, so the only way you can be sure you are on it is to follow the same line. But there may be impassable objects so you need to deviate left or right a bit before continuing on your line - it is important to make a mental note of roughly how far you travelled off your line so you can correct when it's clear enough. Otherwise you will get considerably off course.

When there is nothing to take a bearing off, a compass will not be able to tell you where you are. When you hit a creek or find you are going down instead of up while following your bearing, these things can give you a clue as to where you are if you study the map.
I have a good look at the map the night before such a journey, trying to work out possible options before I get amongst it - so if certain areas are too thick, I have options.

Regarding a GPS - I do not rely on it for such walks, but I have it and I use it. It is the only thing that can accurately tell me how far I have travelled. It also has the benefit of showing you exactly where you are.
In thick scrub, a map and compass will rarely do that.

So what's changed? 50 years ago there was no GPS. So one would know that they were in that valley, heading uphill, and needing to travel about 3KM.
You would use the compass for your bearing and just keep going. You'd get there.
The GPS is not necessary.
But it is comforting to be able to pinpoint your location precisely - particularly in such adverse conditions and also if you are not that good with a map and compass.
I have one and wouldn't go without it - more a toy most of the time but certainly an asset in situations like this recent walk, for assurance alone.
The scrub was thicker to my right - so I was finding I was creeping left more. At about the halfway point I needed to set a new compass bearing approximately 6 points to the right.
After another KM I needed to make another smaller adjustment.
I would still have got there without the GPS - my direction was good, and my destination was an open saddle between two mountains, so all the GPS did for me was show me how far I had travelled, and give me an accurate bearing, being the scrub was too thick for one otherwise.

Another off-track adventure going back a few years, I had walked for half a day, using map and compass. It was along a recognised route but not a track. I stopped for a break to check the GPS and see how well I was doing, only to not have to bother as there in front of me was a pink tape in a tree. My wife was impressed (so was I).

Full on bush bashing is very hard work, you can get very tired very quickly.
As has been said, far better to spend more time picking up the trail than second-guess and finding yourself in the thick of it.

I haven't walked on the mainland so I don't know what your scrub is like, I suspect if you get it wrong, you can have long distances to go before picking up a road or something...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby loric » Fri 20 Mar, 2009 10:55 am

jules21 wrote:i was wondering if anyone was willing to share their views and wisdom with regards to off-track walking (bush bashing?)

i've been a bushwalker for some time, but nothing too serious, just sticking to tracks or the occasional expedition walk (kokoda) where your hand gets held throughout. however i'm getting back into it more now and i've started tackling some more demanding stuff.

i'm in Vic and was down in Wilson's Prom last weekend, where i attempted to walk to Tin Mine Cove with my partner (girlfriend). at one point we lost the trail and essentially found ourselves in thick vegetation (trees, undergrowth) with minimal visibility. with a map and compass, i had to make the decision about whether to push onwards and relocate the defined trail (apparently it reforms later on after Chinaman's Swamp), or play it safe and turn back.

i turned back, as i'm not that confident, but now i'm wondering if i can 'skill up' enough to safely tackle that sort of challenge. are there any tips that people can share? i can read a map and compass, but in this case there was just no reference to go off due to almost zero visibility. my fear was that if i left the defined trail (marked by ribbons) i wouldn't be able to find it again if i had to turn back.

i guess one obvious measure is to take a GPS, but it's kind of cheating isn't it?

hehe - that's one of my fave walks in Vic. The first time i pushed thru the scrub in the swamp. It took about 20hrs to move 2 kms!! -until my missus and I exited the thicket and came back into the open area. Also came out covered in crap and lots of cuts. Stupidly, we entered the scrub in falling light. I shoulda stopped, backtracked and found the pad. Done it 3 more times since then. Every time it's different coz the water levels in the swamp change.
The trick if you are heading into tin mine from the barry site is to take a sharp RH turn just as you come to the 'thicket' with the creek in front of it. It seems a bit illogical coz you end up walking in the middle of the creek for a hundred metres. The first and second times we were there, the water was chest deep. The last two times it was only knee deep.

The thicket is indeed very thick and nav in there was difficult. Esp since you have no prominent landmarks as you head northwards. The walk is way easier if you do the north circuit anticlockwise as the entry inot the scrub from tin mine side is easier

As a side note, i've used a GPS in that area and found it to be of little use. Sure, you know where you are, but it doesn't help you keep to the foot pad. Once you lose the footpad, the walking becomes harder.

Maybe we'll go visit after easter when they 'hopefully' re-open the area. The fire prob changes the game completely.
loric
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby farefam » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 6:41 pm

I happened to use a GPS for the first time this week while at work. Whilst I'm impressed, whether you have a GPS or not, I would not walk off-track unless I had at the very least a good map and good visibility (plus or minus a compass). Technology can fail (eg. battery failure) and you need to have a back-up plan to navigate by. I've walked off-track in Tassie a number of times eg. Windemere Plains, Cheyne Range, north end of the Walls and had some great experiences as a result, but in alpine areas good visibility is a must to safely move about. A GPS would really come into its own in flat, featureless bush.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion