Gas cylinders

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Gas cylinders

Postby kanangra » Fri 13 Feb, 2009 1:18 pm

I'm flying into Launceston heading for the Walls in April. The plane arrives about 5:00 on Friday night. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can buy some gas preferably that night or first thing the next morning. I was hoping to hit the track early?
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Gas cylinders

Postby johnw » Fri 13 Feb, 2009 2:57 pm

kanangra wrote:I'm flying into Launceston heading for the Walls in April. The plane arrives about 5:00 on Friday night. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can buy some gas preferably that night or first thing the next morning. I was hoping to hit the track early?

If it's a standard cartridge type, eg Kovea etc, then I would think any of the outdoor shops in Launceston (Paddys, Allgoods, Mountain Designs). But probably not open late on Friday (and the flights are often late anyway). So you may be stuck with waiting until opening time on Sat. unless you can arrange something with them. Maybe ring them and see if that's posssible. Also, if you are using a commercial transport operator to get to the Walls, they can usually provide gas cartridges if you ask in advance (and it's not an unusual type). I've done that twice.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby prankphonecall » Fri 13 Feb, 2009 4:14 pm

We found a outdoor camping/army supply shop on York Street to pick up some shellite on a saturday arvo the other week. Mountain Design is just down the road (corner of charles and york i think).

We just drove till we saw something that looked right.
prankphonecall
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Fri 13 Feb, 2009 5:34 pm

try calling the general store in Mole Creek, the Gunns Mitre 10 or Woolies in Deloraine and see if they have them. Gunns Mitre 10 might be the go. (Or is it a Home Hardware????)
the_camera_poser

Postby Darren » Fri 13 Feb, 2009 6:07 pm

G'day
I have had the same problem. Paddy Palin at Launceston have dropped gas off to the motel I was staying before I arrived. Give them ago they were very helpful
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Fri 13 Feb, 2009 7:27 pm

When I did the OT I rang MD Launceston where very helpfull, they dropped off some canisters at the Taxi company base for me, the taxi driver picked them up on the way to the motel.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby kanangra » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks guys some excellent suggestions there.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 1:29 pm

Darren and Tony, are spot on. If you phone one of the local bushwalking shops and pay over the phone by credit card, some of them will be happy to deliver it to your hotel for you. If you don't have any luck, there have also been people on the forums here who are cooperative and can help you out themselves directly.

If you don't have any luck, and the timing suits me, I could pick something up for you.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby kanangra » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 5:24 pm

Thank you very much Nik. Very decent of you. I'll let you know how I go.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby olblackbilly » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:19 pm

G'day kanangra, you may be better off getting a fuel stove,mine runs on shellite or unleaded petrol, its the way to go, better than worrying about gas cylinders,its pretty light and compact..........regards...olblackbilly
olblackbilly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Return to Bushwalking Discussion