Pull along cart

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Pull along cart

Postby Obelix » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 2:07 am

Yes a push cart seems to work well in Australia (well at least along the shoulder of a road) - see pics for inspiration. This chap was from the UK, a boat builder, who made a mock up using PVC piping to get the right fit before committing. Last seen at Wave Rock, Hyden, WA heading to Norseman!
Attachments
Long Distance Trolley.jpg
Long Distance Trolley 2.jpg
Long Distance Trolley 2.jpg (62 KiB) Viewed 12912 times
Obelix
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Neo » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 9:48 pm

Nice. Seems a lot of gear even though..?
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby puredingo » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 6:11 am

....and handy if you need to give Hannibal Lecter a lift along the way.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 21 Oct, 2017 7:21 am

This is what you need:

http://www.hdtglobal.com/hdt-support/pr ... o-library/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 8:41 am

I have used one a long time ago, I cannot find my notes or write-up on it now but IIRC the Australian distributor didn't like my write-up and asked that it be pulled. At the time I didn't think it was worth the hassle and pulled it.

Anyway it was a single wheeled lightweight trailer with a shoulder harness. I used it on the Coastal Plains Trail here in WA [sandy track]. It was a right pain to get it balanced so you could start walking. Once I was walking as long as one didn't stop it wasn't bad but if the load shifted just a little bit it would easily tip over.

I used it a bit to give it a fair go, wrote up my report and sent it back to the distribtor. Never visited the idea walking again. On the bike, however I have completed a 3,000 km tour pulling an Extrawheel Voyager without any dramas.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby markmayger » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi all,
This an old post but if you are interested in pull along carts try visiting the new website http://www.hiketrolley.com.
It is a great solution.
markmayger
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Hiketrolley.com
Region: South Australia

Postby FIRSTLEAVES » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:45 am

I have done a fair bit of winter ski trecking in Canada and found that pulling a very light sled was a nice break for the shoulders. I discovered that a cheap and light, (but tough!) plastic children's sled could be set up to easily put backpack and sled up onto my back once the terrain got too steep or rough. I basically just lashed the pack to the sled in such a way that the pack straps were facing up and then could just grab it an put the whole thing on my back in a very brief stop. I wonder with today's amazing and light technology if something similar could be made for trails - my gut feeling is that it's not too likely but maybe an idea for someone...

happy trails!
mark w
wentworth falls, nsw
FIRSTLEAVES
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby craigs902 » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 7:54 am

I know this is an old thread, but when I looked around for a hiking trailer (4yrs ago) the only thing I found that suited my purpose was the Monowalker Fatmate. The 2 wheel trailer didn't suit where I was going, which was on the Bicentennial Trail. Some sections have 34days between shops so carrying a lot of food (dehydrated) is a must which will be around the 15kg mark. Was the trailer expensive well sort of, but considering I'll be on the road for almost one year, it's going to worth its weight in gold. On the push/pull thing I'd have to agree the push is easier on the body, but when you need to charge up batteries the trailer needs to face where ever the sun is, so it's very handy to be able to do both. I have 5 weeks to go before I head off on the trail and my gear is ready as can be.
craigs902
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion