Good YouTube bushwalking channels ?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Good YouTube bushwalking channels ?

Postby headwerkn » Thu 09 Jun, 2022 1:40 pm

farefam wrote:I suspect that one of the reasons why people often put music as the soundtrack is because wind noise often makes it difficult to get good audio, especially on mountain tops. The trick is to find a selection of music that complements the vision. That or dub in some dialogue afterwards.

Exactly this. Getting good audio while bushwalking/up mountains is nigh on impossible most of the time. No one wants to listen to more than a second or two of a microphone crapping out in the wind.

farefam wrote:If you search on you tube you may find some of Matt Brain's excellent packrafting videos. The 6 rivers trip, Huskisson River and upper Jane River trip videos are especially good.

The film on the Vanishing Falls trip he did with John McClaine is awesome too.

Scotty's Gone Walkabout is probably my favourite Australian channel right now. Excellent production/cinematography, compelling stories, and I find the focus on bushcraft quite interesting, being quite removed from the type of walking we mostly do in Tasmania.

Rob Parsons has developed into a wonderful niche in Tasmanian bush history. Again, the storytelling is wonderfully compelling.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 10 Jun, 2022 10:08 am

This just went up the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAiGa-d4bfA
He goes to great length to not mention the location (even blurs the car GPS when doing the car shuffle haha) so I won't either, but it will be familiar to a few people on the forum.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Fri 10 Jun, 2022 4:03 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:He goes to great length to not mention the location (even blurs the car GPS when doing the car shuffle haha)

He does this on purpose. He has said in the past that he doesn't want inexperienced/unprepared people or the "instagram crowd" wandering off into the bush looking for where he has been. In his latest video he does say he is above the Capertee valley and the object in the background would be recognisable for a lot of people.

I, like probably many other bushwalkers, have been able to work out where he is in a number of his videos but there are also some of his videos where I haven't the slightest clue and that is OK with me.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 10 Jun, 2022 5:44 pm

michael_p wrote:
Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:He goes to great length to not mention the location (even blurs the car GPS when doing the car shuffle haha)

He does this on purpose. He has said in the past that he doesn't want inexperienced/unprepared people or the "instagram crowd" wandering off into the bush looking for where he has been. In his latest video he does say he is above the Capertee valley and the object in the background would be recognisable for a lot of people.

I, like probably many other bushwalkers, have been able to work out where he is in a number of his videos but there are also some of his videos where I haven't the slightest clue and that is OK with me.
Yeh I never said I disagreed with the rationale :). I'm particularly ok with said location (um, which isn't Capertee?) remaining unnamed on a reasonably well known YouTube channel, although that said i have no problem mentioning it on a dedicated bushwalking forum such as this

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Waratah67 » Thu 16 Jun, 2022 2:30 pm

Scotty's Gone Walkabout is probably my favourite Australian channel right now. Excellent production/cinematography, compelling stories, and I find the focus on bushcraft quite interesting, being quite removed from the type of walking we mostly do in Tasmania.

I agree Scotty makes nice videos, and seems like a lovely guy. I have gone off a bit as I feel he strays towards he overseas patron supporters a bit. His combo of semi-bushcraft-bushwalk, and choice of locations based around getting "wow" shots are often less than a few hundred metres from a car park! (well ones I can recognise, as he does a good job of protecting locations).

Some other channels I would recommend:

https://www.youtube.com/c/KateGrarock -awesome personality, excellent speaking skills, authentic bushwalking approach, highly accomplished walker, doesn't use drones

https://www.youtube.com/c/JoshCarrHikes - unique silent walking style, amazing location, accomplished walker, great details in show notes.
Waratah67
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby michael_p » Thu 16 Jun, 2022 2:54 pm

If you like the non-talking video style then Swedwoods does some good videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/MyMethead/videos
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 16 Jun, 2022 3:53 pm

I'm interested in what makes a good video. I use the iPhone to record my trips and get a lot of footage.
I haven't done "b-roll" because I'd have to go back and setup the tripod/phone, walk-past, then go back and collect it. And that seems like a lot of work.
Although if it made for a good video, I'd do it.
But it often just seems to be guy walks past camera or whatever and not much about place guy is in.

I edit the *&%$#! out of the footage I might be guilty of using filming as a way to catch my breath and I'm not a specimen as they say.

In March, I did a walk from Harrietville up Bungalow, down Diamantina to camp at Blair's, then next day up Swindlers down Bon Accord camping at Ovens, then back to car early next morning.
Less than 48 hours the trip in total. Each day a short 10minute ish video.
I think it was alright-ish, but would like some tips on what works/doesn't.
I originally filmed/took photos to show my wife when I got back home, - so no thought about how it work as a story - but I've started editing them and uploading.
Day 1 of March hike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDXGhJ_JPA
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Warin » Thu 16 Jun, 2022 4:21 pm

Baeng72 wrote:I haven't done "b-roll" because I'd have to go back and setup the tripod/phone, walk-past, then go back and collect it. And that seems like a lot of work.

+1

I have not tried this .. but I have thought of it..

Film your foot falls from, say, waste height... you get the terrain, a sound track and possibly some vegetation.

I think footfalls would make a nice background sound track...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 16 Jun, 2022 4:38 pm

I just watched that video. In my mind it was better.
All the huffing n puffing dries out my throat and I'm hoarse by the end of the day!
End up spitting up phlegm too.
Need to go back and add a bit of Hollywood magic and re-record the voice or pay Rusty Crowe to do it.
Be a much better video. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 16 Jun, 2022 4:39 pm

Warin wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:I haven't done "b-roll" because I'd have to go back and setup the tripod/phone, walk-past, then go back and collect it. And that seems like a lot of work.

+1

I have not tried this .. but I have thought of it..

Film your foot falls from, say, waste height... you get the terrain, a sound track and possibly some vegetation.

I think footfalls would make a nice background sound track...

Do you mean film while walking with camera held at waist height? Without stabilization it'd be ugly.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 16 Jun, 2022 6:42 pm

Warin wrote:Film your foot falls from, say, waste height...

From his backside? :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 16 Jun, 2022 7:03 pm

So many opportunities for scatological jokes and suggestions about chancy luck there. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 21 Jun, 2022 1:51 pm

A bit of b-roll. Where b is for shots from behind.
https://youtu.be/UvwPWRfCLws
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hallu » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 12:07 am

Waratah67 wrote:

I agree Scotty makes nice videos, and seems like a lovely guy. I have gone off a bit as I feel he strays towards he overseas patron supporters a bit. His combo of semi-bushcraft-bushwalk, and choice of locations based around getting "wow" shots are often less than a few hundred metres from a car park! (well ones I can recognise, as he does a good job of protecting locations).

https://www.youtube.com/c/KateGrarock -awesome personality, excellent speaking skills, authentic bushwalking approach, highly accomplished walker, doesn't use drones

https://www.youtube.com/c/JoshCarrHikes - unique silent walking style, amazing location, accomplished walker, great details in show notes.

Yeah the bushcraft thing is not really my thing either, but he knows a fair bit a bout bushtucker, and enjoys cooking in the bush. He doesn't go for long walks, rather find a nice spots and camp there for a few nights, but there are other channels for longer walks.

What I usually avoid is channels where the bulk of the videos is just gear reviews, tips videos, that type of stuff. I know they generate more views (like "top5 best top tips for packing light") than the pure hiking stuff but I really hate them :D I also don't like when people try to cram a 5 day trip into 10 min. Leave me some meat on the bone, usually anything less than 20 min I don't watch.

And finally, what I dislike above all is insincerity, fake stuff, hyping up. Fake persona, fake "epic" electro music with enormous beats and happy sounds, ew... If the landscape doesn't convey the feeling of grandeur and epicness, a drone shot with upbeat music won't either. The reverse applies though : an epic landscape will be ruined by such music. Same with a fake upbeat personality, with the creator feeling obligated to just jump everywhere and be all happy and upbeat... In my opinion, viewers can tell. Being honest and self aware is a key quality for good videos. To your point, Waratah67, I think Scotty should mention if the spot is visiting is right next to a road and not that wild, but I've seen him mention it sometimes, like when he's with his canoe and stuff. Plus Aussies know such spots exist. Drive to Buffalo national park, or many places in the high country and you'll see great wild looking spots right by the road.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby neilmny » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 11:00 am

Waratah67 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Waratah67.

I tend to lose interest in channels that are endless shots of the presenters face rabbiting on. I want to see where they are and learn about where they are not just snips of "well I'm here at location X now" blah blah blah.

I've been watching Scotty for a long time he has a great style of presentation and pretty handy with a camera too.

I've just subscribed to both Kate and Josh's channels. Just watching Josh's Larapinta walk. I reckon it is the best video I've seen on the Larapinta by a long shot. I've watched a few and none showed some of the locations Josh has shown or the way he shows it.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 11:26 am

Josh's Larapinta is cinematic.
Great shots, I think he has a filmaker's eye.

I'd love to take a drone along, but Parks Vic say no, and as much as I envy those who have the lovely drone shot of the Razorback or Cross-cut or Gramps while walking, I don't want to be one of those guys.
I'm not saying that's Josh's secret sauce, it's his editing and great shots, but it does help place you in the environment.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dalehikes » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 12:28 pm

I'm interested to know peoples opinions on youtube creators leaving items in national parks for personal gain. The aim of this behaviour is trying to get more people on their channel by leaving their youtube details and prizes stuffed in plastics bags and strapped to trees with duct tape.

This isn't showcasing the park, it isn't showing proper hiking etiquette and is only drawing people to that area for a prize rather than for its beauty and conservation value.

In my opinion, as people get more and more desperate for views, there will be copycats of this idea, and very quickly we will have walks strewn with junk strapped to trees...
The naysayers rejected this type of conclusion when aesthetic rock stacks started appearing, now they are everywhere and a huge eyesore. I have to assume the same result will happen.
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 12:47 pm

Basically leaving anything behind is littering. A tricky one is the Timber top caches. Don't know what's in them but.......
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 1:14 pm

Not a good idea to leave crap behind.
Except literal crap in a deep hole or composting toilet. :)
I think Timbertop have been doing caches for yonks, before it was a NP and aren't dropping stuff willy nilly for views.
I sort of think of it like an AAWT food drop, not a permanent dumping of refuse, but something needed for navigation or sustenance.
But I'm assuming the Timbertop nalgene bottles are for something useful like naviation/notification.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 2:02 pm

Baeng72 wrote:I'm assuming the Timbertop nalgene bottles are for something useful like naviation/notification.

The ones I've checked were just walkers'' logs.

dalehikes wrote:I'm interested to know peoples opinions on youtube creators leaving items in national parks for personal gain. The aim of this behaviour is trying to get more people on their channel by leaving their youtube details and prizes stuffed in plastics bags and strapped to trees with duct tape.

Geocaching for profit. So desperate for reach they're happy to screw up the reserve they're showcasing.
I'd add another few words, but they'd just get me sinbinned. :evil:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Dutchie64 » Tue 12 Jul, 2022 7:22 pm

I really like this Dutch guy - Harmen Hoek

His video "Solo Hiking in the Pyrenees" is superbly shot and makes me want to go back to Europe to hike it.

It goes from the Spanish side to the French side of the Pyrenees. Very worthwhile watching. No commentary, just beautiful scenery! Enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/nyvehUgBc3g

Cheers,
Dutchie
Dutchie64
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 13 Jul, 2022 7:47 pm

Not sure if mentioned yet, but I've gotten a lot of good info out of GearSkeptic on youtube. He really breaks down the hard science of what is actually going on, proving some old "wisdoms" true and burning others. Not in the "travelogue" category at all, but good info nonetheless.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Hallu » Mon 18 Jul, 2022 11:36 pm

Dutchie64 wrote:I really like this Dutch guy - Harmen Hoek

His video "Solo Hiking in the Pyrenees" is superbly shot and makes me want to go back to Europe to hike it.

It goes from the Spanish side to the French side of the Pyrenees. Very worthwhile watching. No commentary, just beautiful scenery! Enjoy it.

Cheers,
Dutchie

Yeah I've mentionned him on my June 3rd reply. He really has a cinematographer's eye. Also, if you check out his video in South Africa, he really spends a lot of time and energy hiking, sometimes against his health. At least he mentions it in the description. I wished he'd shown it on video, that'd make him more "human". Anyway, given the quality of his work, he'll reach a million subs in no time... His videos are like Kraig Adams (quiet ambient music over hiking), only more cinematographic. And he seems to go for some less known destinations like Montenegro, South Africa... Something Kraig Adams doesn't do, really.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 19 Jul, 2022 9:22 am

Dutchie64 wrote:I really like this Dutch guy - Harmen Hoek

Cheers,
Dutchie

Lovely. Looks like he must do a lot of setup/walking for the "b-roll". Camera a long way from where he walks at times.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 29 Jul, 2022 9:42 am

Here's a short film following a young chap walking the AAWT over 23 days which I enjoyed. Quite a slick production. Not sure if the channel itself is of much interest as it seems to be all sorts

https://youtu.be/RAZQGfAWPaY
CraigVIC

Postby michael_p » Tue 02 Aug, 2022 1:02 pm

This video popped up as a recommendation on youtube. Kayaking the Cooks River in Sydney from as near to its source in Yagoona to Botany Bay. Probably of more interest to Sydney-siders.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Tue 02 Aug, 2022 3:36 pm

michael_p wrote:This video popped up as a recommendation on youtube. Kayaking the Cooks River in Sydney from as near to its source in Yagoona to Botany Bay. Probably of more interest to Sydney-siders.

That's a great video Michael. While directly relevant to Sydney-siders, I believe it applies to probably most Australian cities and large towns that have waterways almost as sick.
Well worth viewing by anyone in my opinion. I've walked most of the confluenced Wolli Creek Valley bush tracks, from where you can get some idea of the awful state of these waterways, but this drives it home. I should really walk the Cooks River arm, if only as an eye-opener. It's looks bad just passing through adjacent bits on the train.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Tue 02 Aug, 2022 5:38 pm

There is a cycle way beside the lower part of the 'Cooks River' ... I'd call it a drain. The cycle way can be started at Meadowbank .. and that can be cycled from Paramatta

The very top part of the 'Lane Cover River' is weed infested ... but lacks the plastic seen in the Cooks video above.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 02 Aug, 2022 6:21 pm

michael_p wrote:This video popped up as a recommendation on youtube. Kayaking the Cooks River in Sydney from as near to its source in Yagoona to Botany Bay. Probably of more interest to Sydney-siders.

I saw that video the other day. I watched a previous recent Video of Beau's around the Mt Howitt area where he was looking for his cameraman's wallet. I posted a comment asking how he got permission to use a drone (he was operating it himself if the video is to be believed) in the NP.
No answer yet.
I live in hope there's an easy way to use a drone in a NP that isn't annoying to animals/people and doesn't require as CASA licence and certificate of currency....

On second thoughts, I'd probably just lose the drone first tree I got near....:)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby EGM » Tue 02 Aug, 2022 6:49 pm

Beau has many great films. When I saw this thread I considered throwing his name in, I wasn't sure if it was relevant enough but I'm so glad someone else suggested him.

I'm a bit of a YouTube connoisseur, I don't really watch much bushwalking stuff but I watch plenty of camping channels and Steve Wallis is one of my favourites. His style of camping definitely won't be to everyone's taste but I recommend checking him out.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion