How many days food have you hiked with??

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: How many days food have you hiked with??

Postby onward » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 9:31 am

ribuck wrote:I have been taking 10,000 kJ per day for on-track walking (such as the Larapinta), and 11,000 kJ per day for off-track walking. Oz Govt says the average requirement for an adult is 8700 kJ per day (an average requirement is meaningless).

onward wrote:120gms breakfast - 100gm muesli and powdered milk 20 grams coffee (used to take 60gm muesli)

That's where my downfall begins. I start the day with 150g granola plus 35g powdered milk.

I did a little research and started from these
Medibank Calculator suggest 9000kJ base up to 11000kJ for extremely active
Australian Dietary guidelines suggest 8700Jj/man
Andrew Skurka says around 3000cal/day for most hikers (12500kJ)
From BPL 15-20cal/lb/day (so 15-20 cal per pound of body weight)....in my case 9k-12k kJ/day
For 14 days with a daily rate of 25km I aim for around 10k-10.5k kJ/day and will lose about 0.5kg a week. I don't really change that when I average 40km/day, I just loose more weight!
I could half my food weight, if I just ate pure oils or fats!
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 10:07 am

onward wrote:I did a little research and started from these
Medibank Calculator suggest 9000kJ base up to 11000kJ for extremely active
Australian Dietary guidelines suggest 8700Jj/man
Andrew Skurka says around 3000cal/day for most hikers (12500kJ)
From BPL 15-20cal/lb/day (so 15-20 cal per pound of body weight)....in my case 9k-12k kJ/day
For 14 days with a daily rate of 25km I aim for around 10k-10.5k kJ/day and will lose about 0.5kg a week. I don't really change that when I average 40km/day, I just loose more weight!
I could half my food weight, if I just ate pure oils or fats!

Those numbers put you in the ballpark but otherwise are of little actual use. What you need is very likely going to be different. Skurka's recommendation would leave me hungry except on short, easy trips. Even though I've used a spreadsheet to count out actual kJ consumed a number of times I still don't know exactly what I'm going to need on my next trip. Even when I've repeated the exact same trip the caloric demands haven't been identical.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Petew » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 8:17 pm

Going on the Overland track tomorrow with 8 days worth. Pushing the limits space wise of my 45litre atom pack:)
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 5:03 am

Petew wrote:Going on the Overland track tomorrow with 8 days worth. Pushing the limits space wise of my 45litre atom pack:)

What's the food weight and estimated kJ/day?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 9:49 am

Orion wrote:
Petew wrote:Going on the Overland track tomorrow with 8 days worth. Pushing the limits space wise of my 45litre atom pack:)

What's the food weight and estimated kJ/day?

The metric needed is volume per day. I find that with a food weight of 650-700 grams per day I use up about 1.5 litres of volume per day. This is based on packing food drops into small drums and tins of various shapes.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Orion » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 2:43 pm

Mark F wrote:The metric needed is volume per day. I find that with a food weight of 650-700 grams per day I use up about 1.5 litres of volume per day. This is based on packing food drops into small drums and tins of various shapes.

I often have to use a bear canister in my local range. Mine is 10.7 liters and I max out at 6 nights of food which is 1.8 liters per day. That's for about 800g per day so the bulk density is 451g/l which compares well to your 433-467g/l.

I relish the non bear can walks so that I can mostly ignore volume. Particularly in winter I don't care so much about using the smallest possible pack. My food bulk density goes up down a little in Tasmania.

Anyway, I was curious about how much food weight and calories Pete was budgeting.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ricrunner » Sat 03 Aug, 2019 12:41 pm

This trip I did in 81' was not so much how much food I have travelled with but how much I had for an exercise in the army in the Kimberlys. A ten day survival march with only a day's water and food. We had a map, with way points to get to the next map with new way points and so on, plus we had to find water and food. We were only armed with a basic survival kit of a knife, matches compass, a signal mirror, map per section and 15 mts of string( cannot remember what we actually called that string, but it had another name). Their were 37 of us, and over the entire time, we never ran into each other. Of that 37 only 21 made it back to our start point on time. 4 soldiers took up to 15 days and nearly died out there, and the others just ended up lost. They used their signal mirrors to get rescued, but one, lost all his kit, but found the Gibb Rd, and was recued by a member of the public. He had traversed over 100km off course, with little to no provisions. The ones that didn't make it were cut from the course, which was An Assault Pioneer Course. It was such a good learning curve for me, that I only use maps and compasses today. when I am cyclotouring, not electronic devices.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion