Bushfire season 2019-2020

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: November 2019 Fires

Postby Warin » Thu 12 Dec, 2019 3:41 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Hopefully they can lease some more air assets from the northern hemisphere quickly.

Being a profit making organisation the other assets being 'unused' may well be stripped for maintenance. Even if not takes time to get the aircrews back and get the aircraft over here. Would not expect them till after Xmass at the earliest.

------------
Another factor:
They charge for the hours flown. As this year they have flown many more hours than in past seasons .. they could be taking more money just to keep what 'we' have now flying for the rest of the season?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Thu 12 Dec, 2019 7:39 pm

Very likely that these fire areas will continue to smoulder and reignite through until autumn 2020.

The last month, heaps have doubled in a day or two and then joined up with others in the week.

Lets hope the few unburnt parts of NSW dont light up during this summer.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mandragara » Thu 12 Dec, 2019 8:28 pm

This is another website you guys might find useful: https://eos.com/landviewer/?lat=-33.174 ... 88141&z=10

It lets you view fairly high resolution satellite imagery. What's of interest is that you can look at different combinations of EM bands.

For example there is a band combination that highlights areas with chlorophyll activity, so you can see what areas of bush have been burnt and not burnt.

Below is one of the basalt rainforest peaks (Coriaday) in the Wollemi. The whole area has burnt but you can see the rainforest is still OK on the peak and in the creeks. Red=more chlorophyll activity

You need to make a free account to get access to the higher zoom levels.

sffsfsd.jpeg
Last edited by mandragara on Thu 12 Dec, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Thu 12 Dec, 2019 10:06 pm

Wow that's cool info.

I've been wondering about an image overlay that shows areas that have burnt in the last two decades. I'd go for a different translucent color each season. Those areas that overlap would be a mixed pallette like paintbrush colours mixed together, tending to purple or brown.

That would show the overlaps and give an indication of how flora has or has not had time to recover or reproduce.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Bushfire season 2019-2020

Postby Hughmac » Fri 13 Dec, 2019 8:31 pm

I live near the northern end of Morton NP, and I've also had my fingers crossed that it remains free of fire. Saying that, it hasn't burnt for about 25 years, so has had plenty of time for the plant community to establish a new seed bank. My biggest concern over these fires is that the weather has changed so much that some plant communities will never recover to their former diversity. If you look at Moss Vale's rainfall records (around 150 years worth), the last 20 years has seen a 25% decline over the long term average. In combination with increasing temperatures it can't help but impact existing plant communities, even without the impact of the fires.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 14 Dec, 2019 9:24 am

Visible on the RFS map. https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-informa ... es-near-me

Large containment lines starting to ring greater Sydney and the blue mountains. Glad the cooler weather has made this possible. The scale of the containment lines showcases the magnitude of the concern.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 16 Dec, 2019 11:05 am

The Gospers Mountain fire is now in the Grose Valley.
https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1206364142770294789

:(

At its current rate of advance it will be impacting Mount Victoria, Blackheath, Katoomba and other mountain towns along the great western highway within the week or sooner.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby goanna » Mon 16 Dec, 2019 11:26 am

Hughmac wrote:I notice Mt Solitary is on fire for the second time in about six months following an earlier prescribed burn. Two fires at such a short interval present a real risk to the plant community affected. The seed bank which will have germinated after the first fire will be destroyed before being able to reproduce the next generation, potentially eliminating some species from the community.

This makes me wonder what benefit the 'prescribed' burns have been.
goanna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby LachlanB » Mon 16 Dec, 2019 11:30 am

Hmmm.. that looks suspiciously like an out of control Hazard Reduction burn? But whatever it is, it's terrible that it's heading back down into the Grose!
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Mon 16 Dec, 2019 11:40 am

Yeah it did, part of Bells Line was closed for the operation.

Just heard on the radio the backburn did get away from them.

Also looks like the Kanangra fire will link up to the Ruined Castle fire. The whole/remaining GBM could be affected with next weeks weather! Also creeping into Morton :(
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 16 Dec, 2019 1:13 pm

Awful photos taken from Govetts Leap, Blackheath. These were shot yesterday. https://twitter.com/LJCharleston/status ... 4260476928

Meanwhile I heard scomo jetted off to Hawaii today for a holiday. Cheers mate.. :roll:

EDIT. Emergency warning out for Gosphers Mtn fire. Crossed wolgan road near ben bullen state forrest. Hope its not close to the Mount Piper Power station :shock: :(
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 16 Dec, 2019 6:50 pm

Looks like The Castle is going up in flames tonight or tomorrow morning :(
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jonnosan » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 6:39 am

This site overlays the RFS Fire's Near Me fireground map plus hotspot data from satellites on top of a pretty decent topo - http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewe ... 5,-33.7738
jonnosan

Budawangs about to burn December 2019

Postby insect_eater » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 6:41 am

Hi All,

I've been watching the Currowan fire creep north towards The Castle for the last couple of weeks. It was dramatically helped a week ago by an arsonist driving about 30km north from the northern edge to the Clyde River, lighting up both sides of the road along the way.

Today the fires near me (https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-informa ... es-near-me ) map shows the fire halfway up the slope between Yadboro River and The Castle, so it likely the fire will reach The Castle and monolith valley today, and continue to burn north through the rest of the park. This could be quick (less than a week) or slow (weeks - months) depending on weather. It would take several days of decent rain to extinguish the fire.
insect_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 10:20 am

Seems the fires are already impacting the castle. From satellite heat sensors.

The dark red hotspots most recent sat pass (under an hour ago). The orange ones from previous sat pass (6-24 hours ago)

:(

hotspots castle 2.png
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby goanna » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 11:33 am

insect_eater wrote:Hi All,

I've been watching the Currowan fire creep north towards The Castle for the last couple of weeks. It was dramatically helped a week ago by an arsonist driving about 30km north from the northern edge to the Clyde River, lighting up both sides of the road along the way.

Do you have a source that it was arson? I took the fires along the road to be an attempted backburn. The whole area has been closed to the public for quite a while.
goanna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby michael_p » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 11:47 am

jonnosan wrote:This site overlays the RFS Fire's Near Me fireground map plus hotspot data from satellites on top of a pretty decent topo - http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewe ... 5,-33.7738

Thanks Jonnosan, that is a great map for keeping track of how the fires are progressing.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby insect_eater » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 6:14 pm

goanna wrote:
insect_eater wrote:
Do you have a source that it was arson? I took the fires along the road to be an attempted backburn. The whole area has been closed to the public for quite a while.

There was a backburn off the kings highway on the SW flank at that time that you probably saw, but I understand that nothing was lit on this edge. It was lit on both sides of the road, precluding any effect as a backburn.
insect_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 7:05 pm

Lots of 'organic handholds' will be lost. Scrambling in the Budawangs from now on will be a lot more 'interesting' and make you look like a chimney cleaner for a while. Sad day today for the Budawangs.
Huntsman247

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 7:51 am

Potential for a very tough day around the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area and nearby towns. :(

NSW Government just invoked a State of Emergency.

Latest hotspot maps showing the Gospers Mtn fire close to the Piper and Wallerawang power stations and has fire about to cross the Grose River.
(Click on the pictures for a sharper image)

Power3.png

Grose4.png
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 8:43 am

I think fire fighting activity will be around the power station and coal mine..

the grose valley will burn. :(

I'll wait for winter before walking it again. Be interesting to see the changes.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LachlanB » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 4:47 pm

The Currowan fire has also well and truly escaped into the bulk of the Budawangs. Out of control fire front rapidly spreading north across almost the entire plateau. This is going to be devastating for the vegetation on the Corang Plateau, it was still recovering from the 2013 fire.
Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 5.40.56 pm.png
Everything is burning
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 4:52 pm

Total area burnt in NSW for this fire season is now 2.7million hectares ...
(Data from The Guardian)
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 7:15 pm

:( This is a nightmare.

In its current direction the Green Wattle Fire is heading towards the last remaining green belt around greater Sydney, the Nepean - Dharawal area.

fireupdate.png
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cammokazee » Fri 20 Dec, 2019 8:23 pm

goanna wrote:
insect_eater wrote:Hi All,

I live & work around the Batemans Bay area, and a little birdy (who's nest is in the local RFS) told me that it weren't no backburn up in that Yadboro area & there weren't no lightning strikes either. :roll:
And yes these areas are closed atm. But, that does not always stop some people and there are plenty of tracks around there too you know.

Can't see how this fire won't link up with the one that started at Tianjara yesterday which was also very suspicious, apparently. BTW another fire that started out the back of Maloney's Beach the other week was also 'suspicious'. Apparently an unidentified person on a bike was seen exiting the track from where smoke was seen shortly after. Unfortunately l guess many fires remain suspicious unless someone is caught.

imo convicted arsonists (including irresponsible power company execs) should be burnt alive as punishment! OUCH :twisted:
cammokazee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby potato » Sat 21 Dec, 2019 7:55 pm

goanna wrote:
Hughmac wrote:I notice Mt Solitary is on fire for the second time in about six months following an earlier prescribed burn. Two fires at such a short interval present a real risk to the plant community affected. The seed bank which will have germinated after the first fire will be destroyed before being able to reproduce the next generation, potentially eliminating some species from the community.

This makes me wonder what benefit the 'prescribed' burns have been.

Very little benefit at all... if any.

Prescribed burns are mainly about egos and politics.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Sat 21 Dec, 2019 8:02 pm

Read this last night. Many variables, but when it is extra hot and dry there is not really anything anyone can do...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-20/ ... s/11817336
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby potato » Sat 21 Dec, 2019 8:06 pm

What a terrible season this has turned out to be. I'm currently stuck in Ulladulla NSW with many others in a similar situation due to fires blocking the highway in the north and south. The conditions in the town are rather pleasant if you don't mind the smoke. The glow from the Budawangs however is something else. I have been around fires for most of my working life but this season is extraordinarily.

Stay safe everyone.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby potato » Sat 21 Dec, 2019 8:16 pm

Neo wrote:Read this last night. Many variables, but when it is extra hot and dry there is not really anything anyone can do...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-20/ ... s/11817336

That's an excellent article. I can't believe (We'll I'm not as I've seen it many times before) some of the fire breaks they have put in place in the south coast. The Currowan fire jumped the Clyde River and then the Pricncess Hey and the still think a destructive fire break two dozers wide will stop a fire! It's crazy. I shudder when I see a dozer on the back of a truck heading to a fire. It's pointless destruction in a continuously forested landscape.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby michael_p » Sat 21 Dec, 2019 9:26 pm

Image in this tweet shows the Budawangs and Tianjara fires: https://twitter.com/tonyveco/status/1208305346474852352. Not looking good and could spread into Ettrema as well. Second image in tweet show fires closer to Sydney.

And, where does all the smoke go: https://twitter.com/m_parrington/status ... 8860630017
Last edited by michael_p on Sun 22 Dec, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion