"To endure the bite of the fox..."

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: "To endure the bite of the fox..."

Postby Dave Bremers » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 8:02 am

who said anything about drugs? *avoids eye contact* :oops:
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 8:09 am

Lets eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we climb sounds like good advice :!: Life without a vice is like a boat without an anchor; as long as you do not get to attached to each no problem :D

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 7:52 pm

If you can't endure one weekend out in the bush without booze, it qualifies as being 'too attached' and, hence, an addiction.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby corvus » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:53 pm

scavenger wrote:If you can't endure one weekend out in the bush without booze, it qualifies as being 'too attached' and, hence, an addiction.

Hey Scavvy,
Did you join the Rachabites by choice or are you a recovering dipso :lol:
corvus
Last edited by corvus on Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Dave Bremers » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 8:08 am

scavenger wrote:If you can't endure one weekend out in the bush without booze, it qualifies as being 'too attached' and, hence, an addiction.

We never mentioned having a problem with that. Who are you talking about?
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dave Bremers » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 8:11 am

I was kidding about the drugs btw. Been there, done that, over it. Just got to find another anchor now... :D
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 6:59 pm

corvus wrote:

Hey Scavvy,
corvus

One does not have to be either a wowser or an alcoholic to be concerned about the place alcohol has in our society.
Seriously, I find it bizarre to read about people spending so much time and effort trying to lighten their load, when they insist that the one item which is irreducible is booze.

Dave:
That remark was directed at someone else.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 7:40 pm

scavenger wrote:
corvus wrote:

Hey Scavvy,
corvus

One does not have to be either a wowser or an alcoholic to be concerned about the place alcohol has in our society.
Seriously, I find it bizarre to read about people spending so much time and effort trying to lighten their load, when they insist that the one item which is irreducible is booze.

Dave:
That remark was directed at someone else.

Scavvy ,
I believe you walk alone and I respect that however you miss the point of a nice glass of whatever with mates having a wind down at the end of the day it adds to the whole experience for a lot of of us.
We dont bag you(much) for not drinking alcohol so why have a go at us (some of whom are only social drinkers) and even those like me who enjoy a wine every day :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby north-north-west » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 7:51 pm

I haven't 'bagged' anyone. Yet.
Now, why are you so oversensitive about your alcohol consumption? Don't tell me you subconsciously realise it's excessive . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 8:05 pm

Is this a private argument or can anyone join in??
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 8:29 pm

All for one and one for all :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 8:36 pm

scavenger wrote:I haven't 'bagged' anyone. Yet.
Now, why are you so oversensitive about your alcohol consumption? Don't tell me you subconsciously realise it's excessive . . .

Scavvy ,

I should cut back to one bottle every other day but our wines are so nice as is our food in Tassie that I succumb to the Daemon Fizz daily ,hell I only have 10 + years left on average so I intend to enjoy life :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Dave Bremers » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 8:42 pm

don't limit yourself corvus! apparently if your drinking red that will boost it anyway.

on another note, I think we're all missing the point of this topic now. damn if only I had one of those 'moderator hats' :D
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 8:58 pm

Yeh i'ts definately gone off subject, so in trying to bring it back , DAVE- have you been on any walks since your last "adventure"??
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dave Bremers » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 7:58 am

No I haven't actually, I've just moved out of home and started at a new uni at the same time so I've been a bit busy :( . The funny thing is, I'm desperate to join the outdoors club here, but at the little stand that they have for o-week (where you join), there's never anyone there! Either they're all slack or they're off hiking somewhere :D
In line with the topic, I met a commando (fair dinkum special forces soldier) who used to run on the beach every morning with weights in a backpack, so I've been meaning to try that but I can't get myself out of bed before 9am :( Definitely need to harden up a bit
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:25 am

I wish I could find the lovely picture book to life. You may be familiar with the ones with a picture of an animal and a comment under it. My favourite is a sheep out in miserable weather with a comment on the lines "It is good to be able to be take what life throws at you but why take hardship for hardship sake?".

Always been my approach that good food is even better with good company and a wine or two or three makes for a well rounded evening and gives the ability to allow the mind to recover from the day's hardship on a walk and not be overwhelmed with what will follow the next day. If the food or wine stops you from meeting the challenges the next day then I agree that is a problem.

A departed friend who was a doctor favourite example was a muscle fatigue experiment he did when at uni where a person was given various form of encouragement or negative comments to get them to lift a weight with their arm until the could do it no longer. The "monitoring" electrodes then where fired and the muscle contracted and lifted the weight despite the person claiming they could not lift it any more. Probably a very improper experiment nowadays but this was a long, long time ago, before risk assessment and ethic committees ruled the world. For most of us our spirit breaks before the body does and it is now being recognised that mental training and recovery method is just as important as physical training and rest periods. Probably there are a few exceptions out there and they are the people that do extraordinary things like climbing Everest without oxygen, etc, but I am not "certain" enough to think that I am one of them or more importantly could be one of them.

So may the phrase "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" is more a cop out. A phrase that when translated from English to Russian and back again by an early computer language translator came back as "Vodka good, meat bad".

Cheers Brett

PS Scavenger, yes excess alcohol consumption for a situation has and will be a recipe for misery and disaster, as is any addiction, so the trick is not to let it be an addiction which starts by recognising when it is an addiction and then figuring out what to do about it. Total avoidance is one strategy but moderation is another unless the addiction can have the phrase "every cigarette is doing you harm" attached.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion