Face masks for hi alt trekking?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Face masks for hi alt trekking?

Postby GrahameR » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 3:16 pm

(Also posted on Gear Review page but might be more appropriate here.)

Hi, there are lots of face masks out there at present. In my hi alt trekking I find a buff or balaclava doesn't sufficiently warm the breath and often the condensation is a bit much. Given the huge numbers of masks around in this Covid time I wondered if anyone has a recommendation for a mask that might work at hi-alt.

I am thinking that a mask with a valve may at least partially overcome this problem. (BTW, I am aware health authorities don't recommend them for Covid - but I am only thinking hi-alt.)

I have seen expensive masks advertised for use by outdoor workers in really cold areas. And some have copper mesh valves - the theory being the out-breath warms the mesh which then warms the in-breath. But apart from the cost there seems to doubt if they really work - and the condensation may still be a problem.

Just seems like a good opportunity to test some cheapish masks while mask wearing (here in Vic) is compulsory.

Thanks. Grahame
GrahameR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Face masks for hi alt trekking?

Postby Warin » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 3:49 pm

A valve would mean the mask is ineffective for virus control - you may as well ware nothing. I would discourage anyone form thinking or wearing one as if to comply with virus mask requirements/recommendations.

Masks with valves are to filter incoming dust out. Think a wood worker etc. They provide a quick way for the exhaled breath to leave the filter, as such it would not warm the incoming air as there is little time for the leaving air to transfer warmth. Best would be a 'heat exchanger'.... but I think any benefit would be lost due to weight and breathing restrictions.

Considering the lack of oxygen at altitude I'd tend to breath free.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 4:41 pm

Breathing in air at -30C and colder can lead to severe breathing problems if the lung tissue freezes, it can be the cold not so much the lower O2 levels that can cause the problems.
I wore a good thick cashmere scarf when it hit -30
This is the mask my mate wears
https://coldavenger.com/
and this one is on sale at half price
https://coldavenger.com/products/outlaw
Even with the high cost of USPS that is a bargain
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 4:44 pm

Shipping for 2 is the same as for one
Want to share postage costs?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Fri 28 Aug, 2020 8:42 pm

Where do you find air at -30 C in Australia?
I have been down to -17 C, but no further.
Climate change, global warming ...

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 28 Aug, 2020 8:59 pm

New York, The Adirondacks in winter.
Have family there.
Mates in Connecticut and the Sudbury area too now
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GrahameR » Sat 29 Aug, 2020 1:19 pm

Thanks to all for your responses. Some specific points:

1. The OP did note that the mask was for hi alt use not Covid.

2. My hi alt experience is in the Himalayas and Andes i.e. over 4-5000m.

3. I understand that at 5000m O2 is only about half that at sea level but that is 'only' an aerobic issue (AMS, HAPE, HACE etc).

4. The problem I am addressing here is with the cold dry air at hi alt.

Therefore -

as in OP, given there are a lot of masks around at present for Covid I was hoping someone might have used one and thought 'Gee this might be okay for altitude'. Something mass produced and cheap.

And yes I understand that is an unlikely combination but I thought it a question worth asking.

Again thanks,
Grahame
GrahameR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GrahameR » Fri 04 Sep, 2020 4:06 pm

Thanks all.
GrahameR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby keithy » Mon 05 Oct, 2020 8:47 pm

Grahame

I have one of these
Half Face Mask.jpg
Half Face Mask.jpg (83.97 KiB) Viewed 9611 times

The wrap design is very similar to the Cold Avenger that Moondog posted. Probably a copy of that design.

I got it as I wanted something easy to put on with gloves, that also covered my ears and not too expensive. I also use a merino buff (I have various Icebreaker, Platypus and Macpac versions), that I usually double fold if it's really cold.

I've had mine for about 2 years or so, but they can be found from the various Chinese sellers as a "cycling mask" or from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JWMV17I as this half face mask (Check the reviews there - it is funny to read the reviews of people getting this for Corona though since it's not designed for that at all). I paid less than $5 for mine.

The majority of the mask is a thin fleece material that comes down to cover the neck only at the front. At the back it doesn't cover the neck at all which I like as it doesn't get in the way of the collars of my tops/jackets. I've only used mine around -10°C maybe -15°C. Any colder I think a thicker fleece might be better. Around the nose and mouth it is a thin neoprene material with punch out holes. The "valve" is a furphy - only for looks. The holes in the neoprene and the nose triangle cutout does let out some condensation and the top design doesn't fog up my glasses as some other masks do. I have a fat head though, and the velcro only secures half way - the tight fit probably seals the top from fogging my glasses. I had meant to sew on an extension to it to make it a bit more comfortable, but never got around to it.

I haven't use it over 4000m, mostly from 2500-4000m. I've given up on my thoughts of trekking over 5000m after I struggled at 5500m. A mate asked if I wanted to join him going up Acongagua in December, but I had to decline. I think only a third of his group made it to the summit.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Return to Bushwalking Discussion