Trekking not bushwalking

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Trekking not bushwalking

Postby GregG » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 2:53 pm

Folks, I've just been informed through the Community Newsletter put out by the local state MP to "think before you TREK". No no, this is nothing to do with the Starship Enterprise and, you guessed it, TREK is an acronym for Take, Register, Emergency and Keep. Well, its pretty simple to understand right? No need for explanation. Well, actually, no. It has all the earmarks of "Lets think of a catchy acronym and then get the work experience kid to figure out what it could signify". So, fortunately I am a bushwalker and so it seems I am not required to think, unlike all those pesky trekkers out there who had better put their thinking caps on and get thoughtful. Before they trek. Or walk.

So is anyone up for a debate about the finer nuances of walking/trekking/hiking/backpacking/rambling/tramping or astral travel? There's lots of scope here too to put forward your own preferred acronyms. Or just have a rant about whatever words annoy you the most.....

Yes, yes, thanks, no need to say it, I already know, I'm a man with too much time on his hands. And if TREK can save someone's neck out there in the donga then job well done.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Re: Trekking not bushwalking

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 3:23 pm

Oh NO! NABA
ie: That is Not Another B*******y Acronym

I take it Keep is shorthand for Keep calm and keep walking in circles?
We already have a proper acronym in STOP what wanker thinks we need another one.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 3:44 pm

Can we also add into the discussion whether it’s Track or Trail?
Particularly if you put “Kokoda” in front?

I’ll get some popcorn ready :)
ChrisJHC

Postby Mark F » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 3:48 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:Can we also add into the discussion whether it’s Track or Trail?

I’ll get some popcorn ready :)

"Track" is what you do when the party is out of sight. "Trail" is dawdling along behind the group while they are still in sight.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Zapruda » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 6:22 pm

I hate that the use of the word bushwalking is dwindling. Everyone refers to it as hiking now. We go bushwalking in Australia not hiking! We should be proud of our unique word.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 6:26 pm

In Victoria and Tasmania if it's designed specifically for walking, it's a track. The word has the same use in some other states, but not consistently and definitely not in the majority of cases. "Trail" is generally for a route - walking, cycling or whatever - put together from a variety of surfaces (walk track, MVO, public road, cross country, etc). This means that technically the AAWT should be called the Australian Alps Walking Trail, but the original name with "track" is maintained for historical reasons.
As far as I can find out, Kokoda was refered to, at the time, both as "trail" and "track", depending mostly on place of origin of said referer.

Basically, why don't people just adhere to local customs? Overland Track, Larapinta Trail, Kokoda whatever-the-term-is-in-PNG-for-a-steep-muddy-footpath.

We obviously need catchy interpretations for WALK and HIKE, l although I think this whole thing is a WOMBAT*.

(*waste of money, brains and time)
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 6:27 pm

Zapruda wrote:I hate that the use of the word bushwalking is dwindling. Everyone refers to it as hiking now. We go bushwalking in Australia not hiking! We should be proud of our unique word.

I concur with my fellow old fogey.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 7:52 pm

Zapruda wrote:I hate that the use of the word bushwalking is dwindling. Everyone refers to it as hiking now. We go bushwalking in Australia not hiking! We should be proud of our unique word.

Here here.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 8:09 pm

I'd be inclined to use what the locals use.

In PNG it is called the Kokoda Trail.

In Australia various paths have names with either Track or Trail, I see no problem with using the names already in use.

Anyone for some tinned dog with dead horse?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregG » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 9:17 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:
Here here.

Where? where?
And do I have to trek there? Hmmm, now where's my trusty acronym, I had it only a moment ago.
GregG

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 9:54 pm

Who are you calling old? I'm still 17 inside
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baka Dasai » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 10:32 pm

I find myself saying "hiking" more often than "bushwalking". The latter seems so...hokey. Usually I hang on to Australianisms rather than succumb to bland internationalisms, but not this time.

But whatever...language changes and life goes on. C'est la vie and vive la différence!
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 10:12 am

I'm all for 'bushwalking' but it's a small part of a much bigger picture.
It all started when cobbers became mates. The lollies! That was the beginning of the end. Or the Fall of Singapore-take your pick. :D
Now I catch an elevator, to pull the trigger, on a sleeping pad, at the store, but can't forget the stakes to hold my shelter down.
Damn, forgot I need to pull the trigger on a new backpack. Now to get on trail, to burn some calories-where's my damn fanny pack, all my trail mix is in there! Is Q coming or going? I can never remember.
Why the hell are so many Australians 'pulling the effing trigger?!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby johnw » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 10:20 am

I think as long as you enjoy it and practise appropriate care for the bush call it what you like.
Bushwalking is my own preference but having visited the US a number of times, if I say that over there I get odd, confused looks.
So when in Rome do as the Romans do, and I'll be hiking on a trail over there and bushwalking on a track (mostly) at home.
But I have definitely noticed a trend towards "hiking" here, and occasionally "trekking".
Probably the result of Internet/YouTube/Insta-whatever et al, and possibly also influenced by gear retailer advertising speak.
Especially relatively recent arrival Decathlon with its European origins.
When you visit these stores they always seem to be full of impressionable newbie "instafamous" under 30s in active wear.
The Think Before You Trek program is a good idea IMHO. But having worked in the public sector for a long tome before I retired,
I shudder at the thought of how many expensive meetings were likely held to come up with the terminology.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 10:44 am

Sigh... NABA. Oh well, SNAFU. BOHICA. Anyway I'm done, AMFYOYO...
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 1:53 am

On the other hand there are a lot of authentic Aussie origin generated words now being used internationally as well
into the main vocabulary of a wide range of nationalities mainly slang type words but they are out there,
i was surprised to hear them and thought i was hearing things.

TLA 's (three letter acronyms) are a separate form of language often used as code by different organisations to afffirm superiority
or deeper understanding of a subject matter.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 7:51 am

This thread could set records :lol:

My contributions are:

When I was a shoolboy in the 50s surrounded by what were very fresh memories of WW2, I never heard the word "trail" used in conjunction with "Kokoda". It was always the Kokoda Track. I suggest that if "trail" is now being used in PNG it is simply a contemporary buckling to the wave.

My father was an active bushwalker and ski tourer up until WW2, and we were downhill skiers for many years following WW2, in company with his associates from earlier days.
I do not recall ever hearing any of them use "trail" except possibly in the follow along behind context.

My contemporaries use "trail" in only an animal context, as in "game trail". Actual footprints of animals are "tracks". Paths in the bush are "tracks" or "pads". If the signs of something or someone are being followed, it is being "tracked", hence "black tracker". Sketchy vehicle access is a track.

And yet we have the Heysen Trail which seems quite appropriate to me.

As for the acronym "TREK", I can't even work out what the words mean. If it's that obscure (to me anyway) that it needs thought to understand, it is of no value, despite what someone was paid to concoct it.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 8:25 am

commando wrote:On the other hand there are a lot of authentic Aussie origin generated words now being used internationally as well
into the main vocabulary of a wide range of nationalities mainly slang type words but they are out there,
i was surprised to hear them and thought i was hearing things.

All I ever heard was references and quotes to/from Mick Dundee, never heard and Oz word of dialect other than tourist hawkers in some Asian contries for business. Or a seppo telling me gidday. Which I appreciated but they wouldn't use normally but for welcoming me. What are these words?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby GregG » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 11:38 am

commando wrote:On the other hand there are a lot of authentic Aussie origin generated words now being used internationally as well
into the main vocabulary of a wide range of nationalities mainly slang type words but they are out there

That's a bonza comment cobber!
GregG

Postby GregG » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 11:52 am

The whole track/trail debate becomes highly incendiary as soon as the word Kokoda is added. It is my understanding that the origins of this go back to 1942 when Australian AIF and militia were fighting the Japanese on the Kokoda Track, with nary a septic to be seen. Douglas Macarthur, supreme egoist, required all press releases to be about US forces, no one else, so information coming from Australian sources was retranslated into Americanese by his media people and so the Kokoda Track became the Kokoda Trail. I have been to PNG several times and the use of the word "trail" is disliked there just as much as it is here.
GregG

Postby north-north-west » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 1:14 pm

GregG wrote:The whole track/trail debate becomes highly incendiary as soon as the word Kokoda is added. It is my understanding that the origins of this go back to 1942 when Australian AIF and militia were fighting the Japanese on the Kokoda Track, with nary a septic to be seen. Douglas Macarthur, supreme egoist, required all press releases to be about US forces, no one else, so information coming from Australian sources was retranslated into Americanese by his media people and so the Kokoda Track became the Kokoda Trail. I have been to PNG several times and the use of the word "trail" is disliked there just as much as it is here.

Yep, I've read that elsewhere about Macarthur. Glory hound. And Blamey let him get away with it.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 1:58 pm

north-north-west wrote:
GregG wrote:...... And Blamey let him get away with it.

I'll be kind and assume that Blamey knew which battles were worth fighting...
gayet

Postby GregG » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 2:16 pm

stry wrote:
As for the acronym "TREK", I can't even work out what the words mean. If it's that obscure (to me anyway) that it needs thought to understand, it is of no value, despite what someone was paid to concoct it.

Fair comment Stry, that was exactly my point. Here it is in full
T - Take adequate supplies of food, water, navigational and first aid equipment
R - Register your planned route and tell friends and family when you expected to return
E - Emergency beacons are available free of charge from NSW Police and NPWS
K -Keep to your planned route and follow the map and walking trails

There's another acronym that would have helped the people who created the TREK mess and that is KISS. They got it partly right with KIS and left out the simple bit.
GregG

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 2:17 pm

north-north-west wrote:
GregG wrote:The whole track/trail debate becomes highly incendiary as soon as the word Kokoda is added. It is my understanding that the origins of this go back to 1942 when Australian AIF and militia were fighting the Japanese on the Kokoda Track, with nary a septic to be seen. Douglas Macarthur, supreme egoist, required all press releases to be about US forces, no one else, so information coming from Australian sources was retranslated into Americanese by his media people and so the Kokoda Track became the Kokoda Trail. I have been to PNG several times and the use of the word "trail" is disliked there just as much as it is here.

Yep, I've read that elsewhere about Macarthur. Glory hound. And Blamey let him get away with it.

Blamey was [apparently and according to most people at the time ] drunk most of the time and never had the respect of the troops he commanded.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GregG » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 2:37 pm

GregG wrote:
stry wrote:
There's another acronym that would have helped the people who created the TREK mess and that is KISS. They got it partly right with KIS and left out the simple bit.

I'm sure they were well intentioned though.
GregG

Postby Redtail » Sat 26 Sep, 2020 6:43 pm

FWIW, this from the Australian War Memorial ...
https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/the-kokoda-track-or-trail
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby GregG » Sat 26 Sep, 2020 9:22 pm

Thanks Redtail, I have corresponded with Carl James and regard him as an objective and talented military historian.
GregG

Postby Neo » Sun 27 Sep, 2020 6:51 pm

In Dubai markets:

Where are you from?

Australia.

Ah kangaroo!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregG » Sun 27 Sep, 2020 10:10 pm

Yeah. Football, meat pies, kangaroos and, um, ....... imported cars.
GregG

Postby GregG » Sun 27 Sep, 2020 10:46 pm

And thanks Neo, your comment brings to mind these lyrics

Travelling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie TRAIL, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me home and made me breakfast
And she said .... etc

No more to say: trails are for people with heads full of zombie. QED.
GregG

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion