lizard vs snake

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

lizard vs snake

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 21 Nov, 2020 8:06 am

I've noticed in some Sydney national parks (particularly those close to rivers) there are significant populations of monitor lizards.(Goannas)

On one trail that Ive walked many times it's common to see 50-70 monitors of various sizes in the space of an hour. They are all hanging out catching insects on the trail or right beside. You can walk past a dozen within 10 metres.

It got me curious though.. do monitors scare snakes away? Or eat them? (Some of the monitors are big.. 1-2 metres). Because I never see any snakes in the area but stacks of monitors..

I would assume snakes and monitors both being carnivorous would eat the same things i.e small mammals like rats and mice, birds, eggs and insects etc.
So if there is enough food in the area to support that many monitors you would think the snakes would want in on the party.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: lizard vs snake

Postby johnw » Sat 21 Nov, 2020 9:14 am

50-70 goannas? Or a mix of lizards, very small to large? I've rarely seen more than an occasional goanna (lace monitor) anywhere.
My favourite large local reptile btw. I often see a lot of lizards when the weather warms up, but mainly tiny to medium sized skinks etc.
I believe lace monitors will eat other reptiles, small mammals, birds and their eggs, carrion, insects, anything they find in rubbish bins and more.
Can I ask which NP?
Last edited by johnw on Sat 21 Nov, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 21 Nov, 2020 10:11 am

johnw wrote:50-70 goannas? Or a mix of lizards, very small to large? I've rarely seen more than an occasional goanna ( lace monitor) anywhere.
My favourite large local reptile btw. I often see a lot of lizards when the weather warms up, but mainly tiny to medium sized skinks etc.
I believe lace monitors will eat other reptiles, small mammals, birds and their eggs, carrion, insects, anything they find in rubbish bins and more.
Can I ask which NP?

Not a expert but they all looked like monitors to me. Some large, some small.

Will PM you the location as I dont want it to turn into a tourist attraction :lol:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 12:24 pm

I opened the thread anticipating a photo of a duel between two reptiles. Dang.
Interested to know the answer though :)
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby commando » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 4:14 pm

With that many goannas it looks like there is no snakes, feral cats, foxes or dingoes around...
It would seem trapping or 1080 poison laid that has been taking place in that area.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 8:35 pm

Drawing on johnw's knowledge of lizard's we determined that what I saw were not goannas but were eastern water dragons. Similar looking and can grow up to a metre and a half 80-90cm.
Apparently water dragons are more likely to be prey to snakes than the other way round.

I think commando might be on to something. There had been bait deployed in the area.

Edit. Corrected length
Last edited by wildwanderer on Wed 25 Nov, 2020 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 9:35 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Drawing on johnw's knowledge of lizard's we determined that what I saw were not goannas but were eastern water dragons. Similar looking and can grow up to a metre and a half.

I think you still may be confusing species. Water Dragon can grow up to around 80 cm in length. Goannas (Lace Monitors) can grow up to around 1.5 - 2 m in length.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 25 Nov, 2020 6:18 am

Thanks Dave, your right.

MsMudd here you go. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nmr6gYBZhiY

Goanna vs brown snake. Epic battle!
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides