Dirtbikes on walking trails

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Dirtbikes on walking trails

Postby Saintpaul » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 7:24 am

I went hiking last weekend with my two boys and we did the Avon River Walking Trail.
All along the trail are signs saying no dirt bikes.

On the way out in the last few km's the awful noise started and sure enough a few 100m later 2 guys on dirt bikes come roaring along. Luckily we met them at a spot that seemed to branch onto onto an access road and they pulled off the walking trail and stopped as we went past.
We exchanged a polite hello but didn't stop and kept going, observing the usual dug up dirt and tyre marks on the trail until it became rocky again.

I hate dirt bikes. Wanted to abuse the living daylights out of them and punch them in the face (not really but they deserved it)

What do others do in this kind of situation?
Saintpaul
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Dirtbikes on walking trails

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 8:52 am

Ultimately, it's up to the police and there's not much to do. I think it's fair to say that for a percentage of motor bike riders that single track riding is the ultimate expression of a system of tightly held anti-greenie political beliefs and you won't change their mind with an argument on the side of the track.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 9:38 am

They're a scourge. We get them in the Plenty gorge park, and a few times have had to take evasive action to avoid collision on blind corners.
Poor roos panic and I've had to help more than 1 be put down after injuries received.
Still CraigVIC has it right, there's an entitled viewport that some hold that they're 'masters' of the bush and can treat it how they like.
I'd call it colonial, but that's probably inaccurate.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 9:42 am

You can annoy them by photographing or filming them. Probably not something you’d do with your kids there though.

I’ve done this in the town area, along the river bank where I walk my dogs. Didn’t actually have my phone with me…. but some car keys and a black dog poo bag in my hand somehow morphed into a phone. Held to the ear, lots of nodding, looking at the bike riders.

They had to pass me to exit the area, which they did at high speed. I was “filming” them and in their panic they didn’t notice that my “phone” was just a scrunched up plastic bag. Haven’t seen em since. :lol:
Eremophila

Postby peregrinator » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 11:32 am

Baeng72 wrote:They're a scourge. We get them in the Plenty gorge park, and a few times have had to take evasive action to avoid collision on blind corners.
Poor roos panic and I've had to help more than 1 be put down after injuries received.
Still CraigVIC has it right, there's an entitled viewport that some hold that they're 'masters' of the bush and can treat it how they like.
I'd call it colonial, but that's probably inaccurate.

Not entirely inaccurate. I'd call it 'colonial' if they were trying to prove how tough/stupid they are by attempting to ride a feral horse.

These days I'd call it 'post-colonial'.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby commando » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 1:11 pm

Lake Glenmaggie right near there, was always Hoonsville for speedboats so no surprises about the bikes.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby gbagua » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 1:25 pm

Nasty, nasty. They are just a bunch of uncivilised retards. I heard them just before we got to the Cleared Ridge car park at the top of Yamahra creek in Mt Barney NP. I was trying to figure where they were exactly as that area is quite remote. Probably they were on a track that goes up from either Minnages Mt. or Mt. Philip to the east, which can be easily accessed coming from Burnett Creek Rd...and here is where trouble starts as the hoons well know that they can't access from Barney's opposite site as it is more controlled/regulated access, which is where from most hikers and visitors access the NP.

Would like to set up wire traps so the bikes get written off in a well deserved crash and the morons who drive them learn a good lesson. You only learn lessons in life the hard way, unfortunately.
gbagua

Region: Queensland

Postby GregG » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 2:18 pm

Saintpaul wrote:I hate dirt bikes. Wanted to abuse the living daylights out of them and punch them in the face (not really but they deserved it)

Hmm, two of them vs just you and the kids - nah, I think they would have won.

But I know where you are coming from, it's mainly their unassailable attitude of self entitlement and screw-anyone-else, dont-get-in-my-way approach to the bush that pi##es me off. As others have already said there is little point in talking to them, being able to give you a mouthful is just a bonus to their sort of mentality. Jet ski riders tend to be their aquatic counterpart on nice quiet creeks or estuaries frequented by kayakers and swimmers (Leunig wrote a good poem about them, google it). Always report their behavior to the appropriate police, parks or local government body, if they manage to nab someone it helps their case if they can say they have received numerous complaints.
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby LLSC » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 3:04 pm

Hi Saintpaul.
It may be worthwhile letting the rangers know that dirtbike riders are using the track. From time to time, they may have to move or not move obstacles (fallen trees, etc) from (?or to) tracks, which can impede bikes. They should probably be informed, anyway, of people not respecting the track.
From my limited experience, dirt bike riders are like the rest of us: some unpleasant; some can be good company for a chat. If they pulled off the track to make room for you, they may have been in the latter group. On occasion, I have been surprised by how much we had in common.
LLSC
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 5:10 pm

LLSC wrote:Hi Saintpaul.
It may be worthwhile letting the rangers know that dirtbike riders are using the track. From time to time, they may have to move or not move obstacles (fallen trees, etc) from (?or to) tracks, which can impede bikes. They should probably be informed, anyway, of people not respecting the track.
From my limited experience, dirt bike riders are like the rest of us: some unpleasant; some can be good company for a chat. If they pulled off the track to make room for you, they may have been in the latter group. On occasion, I have been surprised by how much we had in common.

I dunno, if you're ignoring 'no bikes' signs,then you're acting like an entitled sod, even if you are good company.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 5:22 pm

I met some dirt bikers near Big Hill track locked gate in the Mt. Beauty area. They were trying to break the lock on the gate which is controlled by AGL. I said to them I was " chummy with the Ranger". I then said I am going to write down their number plates on a pad of paper with a pen. Then I took some photos of them and went back to my car to write down some number plate numbers . They cleared off quick smart and did not remonstrate with me at all. If they were crazed on methamphetamines then they might have tried to assault me but they were all fat ,even the young ones and had never walked more than 10 metres in their lives.

I look FIT because I am FIT. They did not know that I am NOT a martial arts instructor ;-P .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby GregR » Fri 05 Feb, 2021 11:15 am

Saintpaul wrote:I went hiking last weekend with my two boys and we did the Avon River Walking Trail.
All along the trail are signs saying no dirt bikes.

On the way out in the last few km's the awful noise started and sure enough a few 100m later 2 guys on dirt bikes come roaring along. Luckily we met them at a spot that seemed to branch onto onto an access road and they pulled off the walking trail and stopped as we went past.
We exchanged a polite hello but didn't stop and kept going, observing the usual dug up dirt and tyre marks on the trail until it became rocky again.

I hate dirt bikes. Wanted to abuse the living daylights out of them and punch them in the face (not really but they deserved it)

Saint paul: I too have encountered clowns on this trail. Always unregistered and once when I stayed at Huggetts Crossing some of them figured it would be hilarious to roar around the car camp area in the wee small hours.
One of these imbeciles nearly broke my leg on the trail when he lost control as he braked towards me and only stopped with the wheel 200mm from my knee.

A hoon is a hoon- the police tell me that the people they catch hooning on their jetskis are the same ones the catch on dirt bikes and in cars. Get rego's wherever possible even of their cars and report them.
GregR

Postby FatCanyoner » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 1:29 pm

I feel your pain. Dirt bikes drive me nuts.

We have lots of issues in the Blue Mountains with people using 4wds and dirt bikes where they shouldn't be. Sometimes they just bash through the bush, other times they use angle grinders and winches to destroy gates and move rocks / logs to force access. I have a friend whose gate was torn off by hoons who wanted to drive through his bush block.

I usually say something to people doing the wrong thing, if I see them. Same for people taking dogs into National Parks. I try to be polite and mention that they may not realise they are breaking the law. I know most do, but I feel the gentle approach is probably more likely to do something. If the actions are particularly damaging, I'll take photos and report to Police / National Parks. Not sure it does much, but better than nothing.

That said, the kind of people who are already breaking the law can be dangerous. I was once interacting with a bloke in a National Park for a few minutes before realising he had a loaded crossbow with him. So don't be a hero.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Return to Bushwalking Discussion