Family multi day hikes

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Family multi day hikes

Postby astroboy » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 12:58 pm

Hi All, I'm after some awesome family friendly multi day hikes (anywhere in Aus). 4-6 days. We can do 10-12km per day before complaints (hehe). Anytime of year, I'll research suggestions and plan accordingly. Thanks!
astroboy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: No
Region: Queensland

Re: Family multi day hikes

Postby Eremophila » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 6:10 pm

The Great Ocean Walk would be fine.

This page shows distances between campsites: https://www.greatoceanwalk.com.au/asset ... l-2018.pdf. This FAQs page also has extensive general information.

Campsites - at least the ones I have visited- have a toilet, water tank and large 3-sided shelter where you can congregate and prepare meals.

You don’t need to do the whole walk, just plan around leaving your car somewhere and using a shuttle service to get to your starting point.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 6:20 pm

The Overland. I did it in 2019 with my then 8 year old, and he loved it for the most part.
Edit: I think he had turned 9 by then. I'm a terrible parent. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby astroboy » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 1:22 pm

Thanks guys, the Overland was on my list, but the Ocean Road is new, and it's so adjustable!
astroboy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: No

Postby izzeho » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 4:09 pm

Thorsborne Trail along Hinchinbrook Island is very family friendly. Probably an easier starting point than the Overland (and less risk of weather causing problems).
izzeho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Amahb » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 5:28 pm

Wilsons Prom Southern circuit over 5 nights is a good one. The middle night you can stay at the light house. Our Kids were aged 7,9 and 11 and this was their first overnight hike. You can also do less nights and shorten the circuit.

Overland track. We did this over 6 nights. Kids were aged 8, 10, 12. We found this a bit tough on some days as there are a couple of longer days which become quite tiring. We got lots of rain and snow too. Great fun though.

South Coast Track. We took 8 nights. Kids aged 10, 12,14. This has a pretty hard reputation but you can do shorter days as long as you have your food and weight sorted for a 9 day walk. We had great weather and found it pretty easy. Highly recommend, the plane ride in adds to the adventure.

Kosciuszko Main Range can be stretched to a few days with side trips that are off track but easy. Water is plentiful, views are amazing and you can take plenty of time but can get out easily if the weather report starts going bad, there is lots of mobile phone service. My kids were 10,12 and 14 also for this.

Grampians has a couple of 2 nighters and would be ok for any ages past 7.

High Country out from Falls Creek or Howitt High Plains area if you are heading to Victoria. Lots to explorer. Any age level depending on where you go. Helicopter Spur is a beauty and our youngest was 9 when we took this on.

Hope this helps.

Andrew.
Amahb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 5:53 pm

Eremophila wrote:The Great Ocean Walk would be fine.

This page shows distances between campsites: https://www.greatoceanwalk.com.au/asset ... l-2018.pdf. This FAQs page also has extensive general information.

Campsites - at least the ones I have visited- have a toilet, water tank and large 3-sided shelter where you can congregate and prepare meals.

You don’t need to do the whole walk, just plan around leaving your car somewhere and using a shuttle service to get to your starting point.

All the campsites have the setup described above.

You can also use the bus to get from your car to your start point with some forward planning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Return to Bushwalking Discussion