Storage of rubbish in the pack

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Storage of rubbish in the pack

Postby flatfoot » Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:50 am

I'm sure that many people here would have good tips, techniques and strategies to share for the way they manage rubbish in their packs.

I was thinking that it would be best to stuff food scraps in an airtight disposable container and dry paper, foil wrappers, plastics in separate container.

What have you found works best for you?

If you use containers, what sort of containers do you use?
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Storage of rubbish in the pack

Postby tomberli » Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:53 am

One of the best ways to store rubbish I think is to get one or more garbage bags - on a longer walk you can separate foods from plastics or maybe even paper. And then buy a stuff-sac (like for a sleeping bag) and compress the rubbish in there while you're walking. That way its all nice and compact and doesn't get out of control.
Picasa-Albums from Tassie, Antarctica, the Arctic and more
tomberli
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:56 pm

I've always just put all rubbish in a single zip-lock bag. On longer walks, I'll take multiple zip lock bags, and when one gets full, I'll compress it, re-seal it, and stuff it in another while ultra compressed (with a lot of weight on it). This leaves it double-bagged, and held very compressed. When the next one gets full, I ultra-compress it, and stuff it in the same bag as the first one. I can fit two or three compressed full zip lock bags in another single one.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby flatfoot » Sat 16 Jan, 2010 1:13 pm

Some great "rubbish tips" here :lol:

Compressing the rubbish seems to be the general approach. Is there a particular brand of zip-lock bags that you prefer to use? Sometimes the zips can be hard to lock or they pop open.

Does anyone have any disasters that they care to share?
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 16 Jan, 2010 1:21 pm

One tip... if you ever use commercial freeze dried meals or anything else with packaging that can have sharp edges, make sure you fold/roll the packaging such that there are no exposed corners, as these can put holes in your rubbish bag (especially if you pack the rubbish in tight).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stu » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 7:28 am

I use one of these:
http://www.seatosummit.com.au/showdetai ... ode=TRASHD
It can be strapped to the outside of your pack, tho I just usually store mine under the lid, ie. outside of the main compartment.
Effectively just a dry bag built for garbage.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 1:57 pm

stubowling wrote:I use one of these:
It can be strapped to the outside of your pack, tho I just usually store mine under the lid, ie. outside of the main compartment.

I use one but it is a bit heavy but solid so good for the waste that has "smell" and also makes for quick clean up at home. Never really trust zip lock bags for stuff that can leak though ok for dry waste.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 4:10 pm

Of course, as I'm sure many others do, I have very little rubbish to carry out because I'm careful about what I carry in. When packing food, any unnecessary packaging is removed. My full rubbish bags generally contain little more than empty zip-lock bags and tough-foil/plastic packaging that some items come in. A few food scraps, if I've brought fresh vegetables, but that's generally only for short walks, so doesn't get too smelly, and I try to prepare these ahead of time also, as much as can be done without ruining them (some veges can be pre-pealed and/or pre-chopped without any problem, a couple of days before you actually use them).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flatfoot » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 3:51 pm

stubowling wrote:I use one of these:

A great suggestion. I've add this to my list of gear to consider purchasing.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby geoskid » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 6:50 pm

Yeah - I just make sure I don't take unnecsessary packaging and carry a few coles/woolies shopping bags - scrunch up to very little and if I take one or two home unused so be it. Mostly my food is in Ziplocks and the rubbish just goes into one or two of them - yes and with care to not puncture the Ziplocks with anything.
Hav'nt done multi day walks(over two) - so can see how a bag for the purpose(such as the StoS)would be more sturdy - however I see the key to walking bliss as keeping the volume of rubbish (and escaping smells) to the bare minimum.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby sthughes » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 9:52 pm

I usually carry some food in a zip lok bag anyway so as soon as that's eaten the bag becomes the rubbish bag. Then like SOB & Geoskid really.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Singe » Thu 28 Jan, 2010 5:58 am

Son of a Beach wrote:I've always just put all rubbish in a single zip-lock bag. On longer walks, I'll take multiple zip lock bags, and when one gets full, I'll compress it, re-seal it, and stuff it in another while ultra compressed (with a lot of weight on it). This leaves it double-bagged, and held very compressed. When the next one gets full, I ultra-compress it, and stuff it in the same bag as the first one. I can fit two or three compressed full zip lock bags in another single one.

I do the same; by the time the first bag is full I generally have one or two empty ones that had food etc in them. Also means that once it's getting smelly you have started a new bag and don't open the stinky one again.

I have used a dry bag in the past but with rubbish double-bagged haven't had any leakage so don't bother with the extra weight any more. I put the bag inside the pack but outside the rain liner.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby songairen » Thu 28 Jan, 2010 8:07 pm

Our rubbish is stored in the same zip-lock bags our food is packed in- and the older rubbish gets progressively more wrapped as time goes on. This was fine for our last 3 week trip although it does depend on what food you bring- if all your food is dehydrated/dry and cooked/hydrated in your pots then the rubbish will only smell if it gets wet.
songairen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Return to Bushwalking Discussion