Star sign of bushwalkers

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

What is your star sign?

Capricorn
7%
Aquarius
7%
Pisces
6%
Aries
9%
Taurus
9%
Gemini
4%
Cancer
20%
Leo
6%
Virgo
9%
Libra
6%
Scorpio
9%
Sagittarius
7%

Total votes : 54

Star sign of bushwalkers

Postby davidmorr » Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:50 pm

On a trip a few years ago, some of us got talking about how many club members were Aquarius. It seemed to be many more than for any other star sign.

Well, I got curious, and went through the membership list and the results were interesting. If they were evenly distributed, there should have been 13.5 people per star sign.

Capricorn 12 December 22 - January 19
Aquarius 20 January 20 - February 18
Pisces 12 February 19 - March 20
Aries 15 March 21 - April 19
Taurus 11 April 20 - May 20
Gemini 14 May 21 - June 20
Cancer 14 June 21 - July 22
Leo 19 July 23 - August 22
Virgo 12 August 23 - September 22
Libra 14 September 23 - October 22
Scorpio 6 October 23 - November 21
Sagittarius 13 November 22 - December 21

Most seem pretty close to the average, but Aquarius and Leo are significantly above average, and Scorpio is significantly below.

I sent this off to friend who knows a bit about astrology, and he observed that the highest numbers are Aquarius and Leo, which are opposites on the zodiac and so have something in common.

The lowest is Scorpio, and the second lowest is Taurus, which are also opposites and therefore have something in common too.

So what does all this mean? Are particular star signs attracted to the outdoors and bush more than people born under other star signs?

Or is it something else entirely? For example, Aquarius people relate better to groups than to individuals, so you would expect more of them in a club. But does that explain the Leos, Scorpios and Taurus?

Unfortunately, the forums don't allow multi-question polls, so we cannot test this.

So what if we start with star sign to see if any patterns emerge.

Cheers

David
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Star sign of bushwalkers

Postby Ent » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 8:19 am

Me thinks you need to consider the population spread as well, maybe a cold winter is good baby making time? Also if you are a traditionalist then I would bet that there are less marriages around Christmas than other times of the year.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Jellybean » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:56 am

Hmmm, if certain star signs are adverse to completing polls (but love walking) the results of your research here may be a little flawed!! :roll: :lol:
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lizzy » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:40 pm

nice one JB!! also serious walkers may not spend all their time reading forums but be actually out there...(I wish!)
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Chris » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 4:54 pm

Brett wrote:Me thinks you need to consider the population spread as well, maybe a cold winter is good baby making time?

Indeed it is Brett, but peak number of deliveries at the QV was always September/October :D
Then of course just to confuse things, there are quite a few of us who were born in the northern hemisphere.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby geoskid » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 7:02 pm

I have never been a star sign person , based on "how can you divide the worlds population (currently 6.8Bn give or take a city or two) into twelve groups" where anything at all can be meaningfully deduced. Sure - makes for a bit of fun - as long as people are just having fun. For me, nothing is more amazing and absorbing than the never ending pursuit of Truth.
Yeah, well...... I've always felt a little 'different' :D
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby corvus » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey I dont care really, just thought I would tick the box and was surprised with the result so far :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby flyfisher » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 7:53 pm

Getting a bit too cancerous there :shock: :lol:

ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby geoskid » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 8:31 pm

flyfisher wrote:Getting a bit too cancerous there :shock: :lol:

ff

Ah, yes John, diplomatic to the core :) I know theres a lot you could say if you wanted!
Wheres that thread that mentions Frog Call?
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby climberman » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 6:05 pm

There is no 'superstar' option ?
climberman

Postby davidmorr » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 7:12 pm

Well, interesting so far. But only 34 votes? Surely more people than that read this forum?
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby muka » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 9:11 pm

davidmorr wrote:Well, interesting so far. But only 34 votes? Surely more people than that read this forum?

Maybe they know better :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac

and check out the constellation boundaries of the IAU

I was born when the Sun was in Gemini, yet the 2000 year old tropical Zodiac says I'm Cancer.

Anyone for the I Ching ? :)
muka
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby under10kg » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 9:18 am

Yep the indian astrology has a fixed zodiac so the same stars behind the signs are the same 2000 years ago.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:22 am

davidmorr wrote:Well, interesting so far. But only 34 votes? Surely more people than that read this forum?

We do but, but some of us just think this astrology stuff is just stupid and hence don't read the topic at all. Still I have voted now and it's nice to see the mighty Cancerians are winning :lol:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:55 am

Given that Pisces are suppose to be the biggest followers of star sign you would think my mob would be dominating the respondents but maybe our love for the good things in life means we are too busy completing the star surveys for spa resorts :lol: Curiously I find is spell checkers on computer programs reflect the view of the author and Pisces has been missed by the list of words but Taurus,Virgo, Capricorn, etc have not. Um? Conspiracy abounds? Maybe Nasa should name a rocket series after the star sign?

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 11:00 am

I've only just read the thread as I couldn't believe it when it turned up - I don't believe there is anything in star signs - but thought I might check it out now seeing as it's had a few replies. I'll vote just for interest's sake.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidmorr » Sun 28 Feb, 2010 7:38 pm

Interesting. I suppose we are unlikely to get any more responses now, so lets look at the results. If star signs were uniformly distributed, then we should expect just under four people per star sign. The vast majority have 3, 4 or 5 which, given the small size of the sample, I'm inclined to call "average".

That leaves Cancer at 11, and Gemini and Leo at 1 to analyse.

Given that these results are so different from the results I originally posted, it seems likely that star sign is not a good predictor of interest in bushwalking, and probably reflects some other characteristic of the samples being used. As I suggested originally for my club, it may be that Aquarius like to be in groups.

What conclusions can we draw from this survey?

Firstly, my original analysis took a whole population, ie, all members of a club. The poll here was self-selecting, which in statistical analysis means it carries little weight. This is because many people who don't believe in star signs are unlikely to read the topic or vote. So it may be that Gemini and Leo in general don't believe in star signs, but Cancers do.

Secondly, the club analysis had a size of 160 people. This poll has only 47 people. Therefore the error in the results is likely to be much higher.

Thirdly, as Jellybean said:
Hmmm, if certain star signs are adverse to completing polls (but love walking) the results of your research here may be a little flawed!!

I would be surprised if more than one or two of the club members participate in online forums, whereas the people who responded here obviously do. So perhaps all we can conclude is that Cancerian bushwalkers spend a lot of time on forums while bushwalking club members are out walking. :-)
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion