Overland Track App (free for a few days - grab it now)

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Overland Track App (free for a few days - grab it now)

Postby wildwalks » Wed 29 Jun, 2022 10:18 pm

ImageImage

Hi all.

As many of you know I have been adding new sections to bushwalk.com. The new section with walks (maps, notes, gpx etc - now over 2200), articles, magazine.
I want to start producing apps for walking tracks that will be similar in value (in terms of content) to a guidebook - but easier to maintain. I know books will always have a special place still, so not expecting to replace them.

A few years ago I produced version 1 of this Overland Track app, then covid and illness blah blah blah. Anyway, I finally finished a major update, with a plan to keep updates coming. I have had much help from too many people to mention, thanks everyone :)

Think of the app as a guidebook, yes there are maps (that work offline), terrain profiles, photos, simple notes and all those kinds of things. Also lots of info on preparing well, packing, bird/plant/… ID, First aid tips and more. Even printable topographic maps.

I will normally charge about $5 for the app, but I have discounted it to $0 for a few days. If you download it now, there will be nothing to pay in the future, no tricks. I want people to enjoy their time on the track as much as I have. If you have a friend (or a group) who is just thinking about doing the track please send them a link - so they can get the freebie too.

I don’t collect personal information or sell it or anything like that. If you do want to help I would appreciate a positive review on the app store. I love feedback so feel free to bounce features and suggestions in the comments. Zero pressure.

Please forgive me for breaking the rules and advertising here, but I did ask the admin and he said it was a good idea ;)

I hope you and your friends enjoy the app, more so I hope you enjoy the Overland Track, Happy Walking.

Matt :)

iOS - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/overland-track/id1489136232
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wildvisa.olt2&hl=en_AU&gl=US
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Re: Overland Track App (free for a few days - grab it now)

Postby Tortoise » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 7:58 am

Hey Matt,
Thanks for that!
Wondered if you could assist the technologically-challenged...
I downloaded the app to my iPhone (it took a while, and showed the progress of the download), and have the front page, down to 'a lifelong love of bushwalking'. Below that is a line of grey dots after a red dash. I can't scroll down anywhere, and I tried pressing everything I could see, but nothing opens. What am I doing wrong? :?
Last edited by Tortoise on Sun 03 Jul, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Dexter » Sun 03 Jul, 2022 10:31 am

It sounds a bit like it’s crashed. Can you kill the app and reload it? Works really well for me. Tried on both iPhone and Android devices.

Thanks for the app! Looks awesome. Just had one of my hiking buddies mention doing the overland… so this could well come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwalks » Sun 03 Jul, 2022 9:07 pm

Cool. Thanks guys
Thanks Tortoise. - yes seems to be an issue on iOS when text size is increased. Fairly easy fix. Will roll that out in the next update. Thanks again :)
Enjoy the app :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Return to Bushwalking Discussion