Bibbulmun shakedown

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Bibbulmun shakedown

Postby Dutchie64 » Tue 12 Jul, 2022 7:07 pm

All,

My wife & I are planning for a Bibbulmun E2E in late August 2023.

I have attached my Lighterpack (https://lighterpack.com/r/guq2qw) for it and was wondering whether the community could give me a virtual shakedown.

I will have to carry all/almost all of the "shared" items as well as all the food as my wife has a back injury and is limited to 8kg total weight. She hasn't done her Lighterpack yet so I may be able to move some items to her but am not sure at this stage.

Look forward to your feedback and thanks!

Cheers,
Dutchie
Dutchie64
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bibbulmun shakedown

Postby ribuck » Wed 13 Jul, 2022 7:02 am

It looks pretty good to me, except that 727 grams for walking poles seems excessive. You could halve that with, e.g. Black Diamond carbon fibre poles.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Lamont » Wed 13 Jul, 2022 9:36 am

G'day Dutchie-be good to state the weather conditions/extremes expected or temps 'you want to cover'-or-are you only asking people that are from that area/or that have walked at that time? Not quibbling if that's your intention, no worries at all. :D

Wondering if your 'active insulation' might need a tweak?
I would have thought chucking on that very heavy fleece over a heavy merino shirt to walk would be too hot, unless it's below freezing- if the wind got up for example ....or do you plan on using the raincoat as a boost?

I'd go a lighter fleece/s (one or two Alpha tops maybe) with your static jacket myself if the temps are roughly what I think they might be.
Save a lot of space, be lighter and give you more modularity options for both active and static.

Heavy as sticks-it's pretty flat isn't it? Could save nearly half a kg with some CP3s?

That DD tent-are you being a bit 'hopeful' on delivery next month? Might be wise to have fallback option?

Whatever you decide have a great time. Look forward to some pics.
Cheers
Last edited by Lamont on Wed 13 Jul, 2022 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Dutchie64 » Wed 13 Jul, 2022 11:07 am

ribuck wrote:It looks pretty good to me, except that 727 grams for walking poles seems excessive. You could halve that with, e.g. Black Diamond carbon fibre poles.

Hi Ribuck,

They are pretty heavy but I must admit I love those PacerPoles. I bought them about 5 years ago when we were in Europe and in hindsight I should have gone for the carbon fibre ones. These ones are still in good nick and sort of loath to change them over/out at this stage. I also have a bit of "gaff tape" wrapped around each pole for emergency patch up jobs which add a bit of weight.

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.
Cheers,
Dutchie
Dutchie64
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Dutchie64 » Wed 13 Jul, 2022 11:21 am

Lamont wrote:G'day Dutchie-be good to state the weather conditions/extremes expected or temps 'you want to cover'-or-are you only asking people that are from that area/or that have walked at that time? Not quibbling if that's your intention, no worries at all. :D

Wondering if your 'active insulation' might need a tweak?
I would have thought chucking on that very heavy fleece over a heavy merino shirt to walk would be too hot, unless it's below freezing- if the wind got up for example ....or do you plan on using the raincoat as a boost?

I'd go a lighter fleece/s (one or two Alpha tops maybe) with your static jacket myself if the temps are roughly what I think they might be.
Save a lot of space, be lighter and give you more modularity options for both active and static.

Heavy as sticks-it's pretty flat isn't it? Could save nearly half a kg with some CP3s?

That DD tent-are you being a bit 'hopeful' on delivery next month? Might be wise to have fallback option?

Whatever you decide have a great time. Look forward to some pics.
Cheers

Hi Lamont,

Many thanks for your feedback.

The fleece is probably a bit of overkill as my merino shirt with down jacket will probably be enough warmth for the evenings. Believe it or not, that fleece was added to my Lighterpack at the last minute. I will probably replace it with a Macpac "Nitro" fleece which is more a mid-layer and only 140 grams.

Yes, I know. My sticks........They are *&%$#! heavy in the scheme of things but having had them for about 5 years - I must admit I cannot imagine having an other "style" of walking poles. I may have to invest in a pair of carbon fibre PacerPoles the next time we are in Europe but at this stage they are still in pretty good nick.

Our trip is not until August 2023 so got plenty of time for the DD Xmid Pro2 to be delivered :D - I like to work ahead :wink:

I am hoping to do a bit of a trip report with some photos when we get back next year.

Cheers,
Dutchie
Dutchie64
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Wed 13 Jul, 2022 11:42 am

No worries, you should have the tent by then. :D
The Macpac Nitro is a nice Alpha top. Good choice. :D
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides