2-4 day Winter hike suggestions in aus?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

2-4 day Winter hike suggestions in aus?

Postby Chupachupstho » Thu 21 Jul, 2022 12:17 am

Hi everyone, I'm looking to take my inexperienced bf on a 2-4 day hike sometime between Aug-Oct. We're in Victoria but happy to go interstate for a good hike. I have moderate hiking & camping experience, he's never really been so I'm trying to get him into it. I'd love to do the Overland trail but it might be too might in winter for a first hike for him. I'd love some ideas!
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: 2-4 day Winter hike suggestions in aus?

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 21 Jul, 2022 6:29 am

I'm guessing with inexperienced bf you'd want to avoid snow, which rules out Vic High Country. '

There are good 2 day trips in the Grampians and at the Prom.

The Grampians/Gariwerd can be a bit cold in the morning this time of year and rocks a bit tricky when wet, but if you get nice days its great.
You can do Wonderland section of GPT, Mount Difficult Loop, Mt William/Major MItchell Plateau. These do involve some steepish, longish ups and downs, so will cause sore legs if not used to it.

The Prom has the advantage of camps being near the sea, so moderate temperatures and generally not too steep walking.
The downside with the Prom is some old-favourites (tracks) are closed due to storm damage and you have to start and finish at Telegraph Saddle.
Sealers Cove has to be accessed by a 24k detour but both Oberon Bay and Little Waterloo Bay can be accessed from Telegraph saddle and if you want a loop, you can incorporate Roaring Meg for 3 or 4 days.

I'm sure there are lots of other places Vic. Maybe sections of the Great Ocean Walk (catch bus back to car), Great South West Walk (might need to arrange transport to be back to Portland), Beeripmo is said to be a good first overnight walk.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Thu 21 Jul, 2022 9:50 am

Baeng72 wrote: . . . Beeripmo is said to be a good first overnight walk.

Yes, there have been several posts on this forum about Beeripmo. To put it context, the full circuit can be done as a relatively easy one-day trip by experienced walkers. So for the inexperienced, doing it over two days (or part days) wouldn't be too challenging.

Gramians/gariwerd is not far away from there, so you could then try one of Baeng's suggestions for slightly different scenery.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 21 Jul, 2022 11:01 am

You could do the first part of the Great Ocean Walk camping at Elliot Ridge, Blanket Bay and Cape Otway. You would finish at Aire River. Leave your car there and get transferred to the start by a shuttle service then walk towards your car. The distances are modest, each camp has a basic cooking shelter, water and a toilet. There's some (small) waterfalls along the way, occasional nice views, some beach walking. It's perfectly suited to beginners wanting a longer walk.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Bushwalking Discussion