Beginner scrambling

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Beginner scrambling

Postby Tantell » Thu 29 Jun, 2023 12:35 pm

Hi all, I'm keen to push myself and start scrambling with my walks- have been googling a few things- are there any walks on the Northern Beaches (Sydney) that would be good to practice on? Was thinking around doing from Shelly Beach and north head a bit. Keen if there are other suggestions. Thank you
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Beginner scrambling

Postby sandym » Fri 30 Jun, 2023 7:31 am

I think a number of us are wondering what you mean by "scrambling"?
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ribuck » Fri 30 Jun, 2023 8:19 am

sandym wrote:I think a number of us are wondering what you mean by "scrambling"?

Scrambling is making your way over rocks, where you need to use your hands and not just your feet.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Tantell » Fri 30 Jun, 2023 8:20 am

Oh sorry, as in rock scrambling- not full on mountain climbing with gear, but a step from walking including some climbing etc. Hope that made sense!
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 30 Jun, 2023 9:50 am

Start with a low angle short easy bit of rock and repeat this until such time as scrambling becomes second nature and there's no nerves. At times, beginners tend to freeze on easy rocks. Slowly increase the steepness and difficulty. There may be a free climbing wall that you can visit. As you continue this scrambling journey you will learn about hand jams, crimping, edging, three point contact, balance and more. On walks I've done a few moves of technical climbing unroped - I have confidence in my skills and strength.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 30 Jun, 2023 11:43 am

Scrambling usually needs a stiffer boot than you may be used to, what many people called a heavy hiker or montagna boot but way back when I also saw lots of people wearing old Dunlop Volley tennis, depends on the rock.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sandym » Sat 01 Jul, 2023 7:47 am

ribuck wrote:
sandym wrote:I think a number of us are wondering what you mean by "scrambling"?

Scrambling is making your way over rocks, where you need to use your hands and not just your feet.

Yeah, I got that :D I spent 25 years in the mountains of western Canada and climbed/scrambled about 400 hundred mountains. I'm being a bit cheeky quoting Dan John, but scrambling is different things to different people. It's common in mountainous countries to "scramble" up to Ewbank 15, so what constitutes scrambling does vary among people.

Rather than a stiff boot, I would say, although depending on what the OP wants to do, a new shoe may not be required, but approach shoes are designed for exactly this activity.

Regardless, I'm not sure North Head is typical "scrambling" terrain but I guess you could do some "scrambling" around the rocks at low tide. That Sydney sandstone though is friable and breaks easily so some caution might be warranted to check hand and foot holds before committing to them. Alternatively, try some of the local bouldering areas which typically will have some easier short scrambles - although at the grade you want they won't be in the guide, you'll have to be a bit observant and find them yourself.

There is probably some better "scrambling" up in the Blue Mountains, say trying a route up the Ruined Castle or some of the many passes that descend through the escarpment. Classic Australian scrambles would be something like Yullinda Crater, or scrambling up some of the Glasshouse Mountains or possibly even Watsons Crags.

Also a fair bit of scrambling terrain in the Budawangs - The Castle, Byangee Walls, Shrouded Gods, all have what are considered scramble routes and there is certainly plenty of scope for scrambling many of the Budawang peaks.
sandym

Postby tom_brennan » Sun 02 Jul, 2023 9:27 pm

Tantell wrote:Hi all, I'm keen to push myself and start scrambling with my walks- have been googling a few things- are there any walks on the Northern Beaches (Sydney) that would be good to practice on? Was thinking around doing from Shelly Beach and north head a bit. Keen if there are other suggestions. Thank you

There's two main aspects to scrambling:
1. Easy grade rock climbing
2. Exposure
Is there one or the other (or both) of these that you feel you need to practise? They are often connected, but it's feasible to have one without the other.

Most of the well known walks in the Bluies have some kind of aid on the climbs, so the scrambling is more artificial. For example, most of the various passes of Narrow Neck.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tantell » Mon 03 Jul, 2023 6:46 am

Thank you, bit of both I guess. Are there any trails or areas on northern beaches that would be suitable for some practice? I don't mind BM but then it becomes a whole day thing which I don't always have time for. Cheers
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby sandym » Mon 03 Jul, 2023 11:32 am

Three not very good pictures to ask if this is the sort of scrambling you are looking for?

scramble1.jpg
Typical coastal scrambling

Typical coastal "scrambling"

scramble2.jpg
More coastal scrambling

More typical coastal scrambling

scramble3.jpg
Budawangs scrambling

Budawangs scrambling

The Budawangs has locations like this everywhere. Get a map, go explore. You could also start, as previously suggested with something like the Castle or Byangee Walls which have cairned scramble routes. I do not know your level of ability but they might be too easy or too hard.

On the North Shore, go at low tide, or preferably an hour or two before low tide so you know the tide is falling. Best on days with low swell and short period waves as well. All that information is available on BOM site. Explore.

In the UK, they call coastal scrambling "coasteering", go here: https://www.visitwales.com/things-do/adventure-and-activities/watersports/experts-guide-coasteering-wales Basically scramble along until you get to a big cleft that can't be scrambled, jump in and swim to the next scramble location. You can just go back instead of swimming as the Brits do.

There are thousands of locations like this along the coast of NSW but you will have to go out and "have an adventure" and find them for yourself. If you go to NSW Six Maps and use the imagery or Google Earth you will get a good idea of what you might be able to scramble. You will likely also see some big deep clefts which will prove impassable unless you adopt the UK coasteering approach.

The big BUT is that the coastal rock can be quite friable, even the wonderful Sydney sandstone, and slippery if it is inundated by water as the tide rises.
sandym

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 04 Jul, 2023 11:30 am

The above pictures are scrambling, but I'm not persuaded that all are suitable for a beginner. Lower with minimal chance of injury if the person falls is advised at the start, with increased exposure and technical difficulty as skills and confidence improve.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Tantell » Tue 04 Jul, 2023 12:49 pm

Thanks everyone, I've got some ideas and will look around local before heading out further afield! Cheets
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby sandym » Sun 16 Jul, 2023 1:06 pm

Tantell:

Just back from sea kayaking around Kiama and there is loads of potential there for scrambling along the rocks around the shore with a wide range of difficulty from super hard to mellow.

Not sure how close this is to you but anywhere around Bass Point would provide hours and hours and hours of entertainment.
sandym

Return to Bushwalking Discussion