Food drop containers

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Food drop containers

Postby Joe J » Fri 29 Sep, 2023 4:40 pm

Just wondering what you use for food drop containers.
I'm starting the AAWT soon and need some of various sizes. I have one of the 25 litre blue barrels from Bunnings. I now need some smaller ones, probably a 10 litre and a couple of 20 litres. I've looked at the white bucket type ones from Bunnings with the push on lids, but I'm not convinced they are sturdy enough.
Thanks.
Joe J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Food drop containers

Postby Tyreless » Fri 29 Sep, 2023 5:05 pm

I used 20 litre buckets from KMart, $10 each, when I walked the AAWT last year. They are definitely sturdy enough. My only problem was getting them open, as the lids fit extremely tightly.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/jarvis ... -42418856/
Tyreless
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Postby DavidB » Fri 29 Sep, 2023 5:09 pm

I've used white painters buckets from Bunnings with push down lids. Just to be on the safe side also taped up the tops with heavy duty tape. Used them a number of times on long trips including the AAWT. Never had a problem with animals disturbing them.
DavidB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Joe J » Fri 29 Sep, 2023 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit more confident with the Bunnings buckets now. I'll check out the Kmart version too. I was concerned rats would be able to eat through the plastic.
Joe J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby madpom » Sat 30 Sep, 2023 9:43 am

Can't comment on the specific buckets available in AU. But when storing cinnamin/flour/icing sugar trap lure in plastic lidded buckets at camps rats are a big problem. The main failure point is they chew off the rim of the lid until they gain access. So I'd look at the design of the lid/rim primarily if I were concerned.
madpom
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: routeguides.co.nz
Region: New Zealand

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 30 Sep, 2023 9:52 am

Most of the big dedicated paint shops also sell empty but new paint buckets if you prefer steel. they are more expensive than plastic tho and probably need a couple of coats of paint or varnish to keep them from rusting.
Sometimes empty paint tins can be found for free on building sites, just ask the next time you pass a building site.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby farefam » Sun 01 Oct, 2023 2:02 pm

Large roll-top drybags hung on a tree, or less preferably left on the ground, seem to do the trick. Double wrap with a garbage bag inside just to be doubly sure of the waterproofness and also to be doubly sure of limiting the chance of odours attracting animals. Has an advantage in that they are easy to carry out with you, rather than having to make a return trip to retrIeve them if you are using multiple food drops. Otherwise those large rectangular plastic storage boxes that you can get at Bunnings would probably be good (and considerably cheaper).

Try to avoid leaving a food dump near a used campsite (less chance of animals doing a break and enter).
Last edited by farefam on Mon 02 Oct, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Happy Pirate » Mon 02 Oct, 2023 1:22 pm

I'm using the Bunnings buckets. They come in dark green which should camouflage them better. They come in 10 and 20 litre, and seem pretty robust and others have used them without complaint. I probably wouldn't leave one in VG Hut though without expecting a hole gnawed through it.
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby rcaffin » Thu 05 Oct, 2023 7:10 pm

AAWT:
Bunnings-style white buckets with lids, lined with one green garbage bag and wrapped up in another green garbage bag, then then hidden on the ground in the bush a little away from the trackheads.
Zero problems.

I would be more concerned about hiding the drops away from the yobbos.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion