Google Earth

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Google Earth

Postby Pompom » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 8:21 pm

I don't know where to put this thread so the moderator can sort it out should it need it.I have today noticed that Earth has been upgraded and as far as I can see practically the whole state is now well defined, especially in my area of interest the Central Plateau. I found one comical part and that was where River Nile runs off Ben Lomond and after a short while dries up on the junction of two overlaps.
Bob Cooper
Pompom

Re: Google Earth

Postby sthughes » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:02 pm

Earth has been upgraded

LOL - Planet Earth 2.0 :P

Wow -yeah you are right, heaps of the state has been given a major upgrade! Burnie now exists as more than just a smear on the state map - still second class to Devonport and Ulverstone though!
The new stuff isn't as good as the really good areas - but it's still good and there is sooo much more of it!

Thanks for the heads up Pompom
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 7:47 am

It still just shows an empty paddock where my house is. :(
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby tastrax » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 7:04 pm

Yes, most of it is Spot data (2.5 metre resolution - unforunately no dates for these images). Much better than the old Landsaat data, but not as good as the Digitalglobe (0.6m resolution - some of the major population areas plus a few other locations - some of this is up to 7 or 8 years old).

The Digital Globe images just west of Rosevears are from April 2003 and to the east December 2006.

Cheers - Phil
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby sthughes » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 11:11 pm

I'd say the new imagery is the summer of 05-06 or thereabounts. Thats just going on what buildings I've done at work that are build or not. Could be early 06-07 summer I guess - before the bushfires in the southwest - but I boubt it.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Fri 18 Jul, 2008 2:30 pm

tastrax wrote:Yes, most of it is Spot data (2.5 metre resolution - unforunately no dates for these images). Much better than the old Landsaat data, but not as good as the Digitalglobe (0.6m resolution - some of the major population areas plus a few other locations - some of this is up to 7 or 8 years old).

The Digital Globe images just west of Rosevears are from April 2003 and to the east December 2006.

Cheers - Phil

I could ask how you find stuff like that out, but then I am inviting myself something to do that I do not have time for.
Interesting, though.

I don't use google earth as such, but do use google maps and switch to satellite view. That's the same data, right?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby tastrax » Sun 20 Jul, 2008 3:27 pm

Its actually quite easy to find out. I have Google earth PLUS and in the status bar at the bottom it tells you the date of the imagery (for Digital Globe).

GE_Status_bar.jpg
GE_Status_bar.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 6989 times

As for details of resolution just check out something like Wikipedia and they have info on each of the image suppliers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_Image - for the Cnes/Spot Imagery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Globe - for Digital Globe

If you want to check out even later imagery then go to the MORE layers, tick Digital Globe and you will see what is available to purchase. You can even just show those images with <10% cloud cover etc. Sinclair Knight Mertz are the agent for digital globe in Aus. Before you rush out for the better photography I suggest you consider the pricing - I got a quote for a friends farm and it was about a quarter of one image and it was over $2000!

Needless to say the current imagery is good enough for him and with Stitchmaps I was able to get a very nice image for next to nothing!

As for Googlemaps - that's something I don't use much but yes, it looks like the same images.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Speculator » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 1:34 pm

sthughes wrote:Burnie now exists as more than just a smear on the state map

It's amazing what they can do with technology these days, 'cos when I drive through Burnie it still looks like a smear in real life! Smells a bit like it too! ;)

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Steve » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:12 pm

Speculator wrote:
sthughes wrote:Burnie now exists as more than just a smear on the state map

It's amazing what they can do with technology these days, 'cos when I drive through Burnie it still looks like a smear in real life! Smells a bit like it too! ;)

L8r.

Hahaha, everyone bags Burnie, its not anywhere near as bad as it used to be. The water is heaps clearer, less pollution and no smell.. besides the smell of pine from the woodchips every now and then. Not to mention its won the Australian Tidy Towns Award twice, i think, in recent years.

Even though I live up north now I'll always be patriot of the south. :P
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bushwalking Discussion