Are You in a Walking Club?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Are You in a Walking Club?

Postby Kainas » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 10:31 am

I want to join a bushwalking club to get some experience and advice off people who know what they are doing.

I am afraid though that the club will be full of 50yo+. Is this the case with clubs? Not sure where I got this idea from.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby tas-man » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 11:25 am

Don't let any such assumptions put you off before you check out the reality in the clubs in your region. Any healthy and active club outside the uni based ones should have a range of age groups involved. If there are 50+ folk active in the club, they are the ones with the experience to pass on :wink: But I appreciate that it will not be much fun for you if you don't fit into a group within the club that are around your own age. I suggest that you check out the clubs in your area by attending a walk or meeting as a visitor first, and assessing first hand how welcoming they are to new members. If there is no one your own age, but you like the culture of the club, why not rustle up a few of your mates to join up with you and so start up a group that will in turn attract more like you?
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Whos_asking99 » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:32 pm

Would joining a group be advisable for someone of my age? (16 going onto 17 next year)
I'm not planning to join one for a few years yet (if ever), but just curious to see what people think.
PM me if you would like my MSN.
Whos_asking99
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby PeterJ » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 7:26 pm

Whos_asking99 wrote:Would joining a group be advisable for someone of my age? (16 going onto 17 next year)
I'm not planning to join one for a few years yet (if ever), but just curious to see what people think.

I notice you are at Kingston in the south of Tas and I think the two main clubs in that region are the Hobart Walking Club and Pandani. To the best of my knowledge the HWC would have very few members of your age. Not sure about Pandani but I whilst the average age would be younger than HWC they would still not have many young people under 20.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 02 Dec, 2008 10:32 pm

So, what's the problem with 50+ people :( ? Not that I am, but lots of my friends are and I've always walked with people of a range of ages. They're not really much different from 20+ and 30+ people and 40+ people, and often have a better sense of humour, as well as more wisdom and sense (well some of them :wink: ). In my experience joining clubs is a good way to learn about anything you are just getting into, whatever age you are, and you usually make some really good friends as well.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kainas » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 8:37 am

Devon Annie wrote:So, what's the problem with 50+ people :( ? Not that I am, but lots of my friends are and I've always walked with people of a range of ages. They're not really much different from 20+ and 30+ people and 40+ people, and often have a better sense of humour, as well as more wisdom and sense (well some of them :wink: ). In my experience joining clubs is a good way to learn about anything you are just getting into, whatever age you are, and you usually make some really good friends as well.

All good points.

There is nothing wrong with 50+ people. The trouble is my friends always seem to end up that age, and it is nice to hang around with people your own age a bit.

We are joining the club in our area with that in mind..we would love to make some good friends our age. However regardless of whether we do or not, we will make friends, and learn alot (the learning being the main reason for joining).
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 10:49 am

Kainas wrote:...There is nothing wrong with 50+ people...

Well I hope not, as I'm one of 'em! :lol:

Although I haven't walked with a club (yet) I'm involved in a bush regeneration program run by NPWS twice a year. Some of the participants belong to one or more clubs, and some are even older than me (54) :shock:, but there is a variety of ages including some in their 20s. In my experience everyone shares a common interest (bushwalking and preserving the natural environment) and gets along quite well. Some of the locations we walk into are quite remote, often off-track in reasonably challenging terrain. I sometimes feel inadequate when I see a 60+ person scrambling up and down steep inclines faster than I can! :)
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kainas » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 3:23 pm

johnw wrote: I sometimes feel inadequate when I see a 60+ person scrambling up and down steep inclines faster than I can! :)

I met a 65+ yo chick doing a 12hr rogaine a few months back..I was suitably impressed.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wobbly » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 4:35 pm

Yes walking clubs are full of oldies. Heck my mum's an active member of a bushwalking club and she's 73.
But I'm only 50 so I'm way too young to join a club :-)

You could try the YMCA bushwalking clubs but even they are probably getting on a bit to nowadays

Wobbly
wobbly
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Whos_asking99 » Mon 08 Dec, 2008 2:27 pm

Interesting discussion! :D

I don't have a problem in being with older people with camping etc.
But with all the bad media us teenagers get these days....what are the chances of me being given the OK to join a club like HWC amongst others.... (end angry rant)

But as much as i dont mind my...ahhh...."older companions" I think I would prefer to join a club with a slightly lower age.

I met a 65+ yo chick doing a 12hr rogaine a few months back..I was suitably impressed.

Puts me to shame....
Whos_asking99
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby red tag » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 6:13 pm

Older people are more likely to have more spare time .. with so many early retirees around ... and they still have enough energy to get out and do it . The lack of youngsters in walking clubs is not isolated to walking clubs .. it's a reflection of society today . Many clubs of various interests are going through the same situation...go to any country fair these days and most of the volunteers are oldies ... Vintage car club members and even church congregations are mostly older types .

My first bushwalks were with a high school walking club - at Wilsons Prom. in the early 70's. ... I didn't like the atmosphere cos it turned into a ego competion .. The walks ended up being a race to the overnight camp spot and back to civilization ... to the shops and ice creams ! On the second walk, we came across 2 girls .. one with badly cut foot , their school walking group had abandoned them ...left them behind ! We administered first aid ... and they ended up joining our group for the remainder of the walk.

I must be a oldie..I can recall the morning milk cart .. a sedate big horse pulling a cart along .. clip cloping up the street ....
Mike
red tag
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby PeterJ » Fri 12 Dec, 2008 8:11 pm

Whos_asking99 wrote:But with all the bad media us teenagers get these days....what are the chances of me being given the OK to join a club like HWC amongst others.....

As far as I know the HWC accepts members once over 16 or maybe 17 and you have to do 4 walks including or plus (not sure) a training trip . Certainly the club wouldn't discriminate against a young person, in fact I think they would be chuffed that someone your age wanted to join.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Whos_asking99 » Fri 12 Dec, 2008 8:18 pm

hmm, thanks Peter, have to keep that in mind.
Whos_asking99
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tread Lightly » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:38 pm

Yes, I joined the Pandani when I first arrived in Tassie 5 years ago, didn't know a soul, what bushwalking was like in the State and where to go. I guess I go on half a dozen trips to more remote areas with the club and then link up with like-minded people for specific (overnight) walks. It works well and Pandani has no airs and graces to get in the way of enjoying yourself...
Bushranger
Tread Lightly
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:58 pm

I am lobo. I walk alone.

Actually, with my wife and child. Any more than that and I start to twitch a bit. I find I can vanish into the
Wildness even on a busy trail if I can be alone with my thoughts while walking. But in groups, there's too much social convention- people would probably get a bit iffy with me... call me The Ugly American or something like that LOL :wink:
the_camera_poser

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion