Are You in a Walking Club?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Are You in a Walking Club?

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 15 Aug, 2008 9:42 am

After talking to one of our members who I know is in a club, I'm curious to know how many other people here are members of walking clubs (or other official walking groups).

So who here is in a walking club? Which club(s)?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Are You in a Walking Club?

Postby tas-man » Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:37 am

I have been involved with walking clubs for 40+ years. Joined the Brisbane Bushwalking Club in the late 1960's, moved to Tassie in 1994 and joined up with the local Launceston Walking Club. Have also gone walking with the "Boots'n'All" group that isn't strictly a club. I enjoy the company of like minded people and I have found that getting involved with a club and contributing to such groups has been a rewarding experience. Being part of groups that have mentored me and in turn allowed me to mentor others in developing their skills and understanding of our wonderful natural environment has been another positive aspect. The friendships made have lasted decades!
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:14 am

Well, sort of. We usually walk on our own, which suits us as the logistics are easy if we want to arrange or change things at short notice. However, I’m an “armchair” member of the NSW National Parks Association. They spend much of the time trying to convince the government to reserve more land for national parks etc, but it’s also one of the largest bushwalking clubs in the NSW Confederation and has quite an extensive programme.

That said, I’ve never been on one of their walks but through them have become involved in some occasional bush regeneration work with NPWS, walking to remote spots at times (met quite a few people from NPA and other BW clubs on those walks). I might eventually join one of the NPA organised walks, particularly as my walking partner son is frequently involved with SES activities, and not always available.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby DonQx » Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:46 pm

Hobart Walking Club for 20+ years

Made some great friends, many memorable trips.

Mostly keep out of the club politics, but tend to coordinate a few club trips every year.

a.
Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby under10kg » Sat 16 Aug, 2008 6:54 am

Yes I am a member some of the time with the local club up in northern nsw.
The big advantage with a club for me is doing walks that I would not do alone.
This could be due to the club knowing landlord phone numbers for access, or the difficulty or trips requiring abseiling.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby scockburn » Sun 17 Aug, 2008 9:50 am

Hi , yes I am in the Brisbane Bushwalking Club. Joined 12 months ago following my desire to do more walking and found my trusted walking companions are losing interest as the time goes by.The expertise of the more experienced walkers is fantastic and I cannot believe how fit they are and most have 10 years on me(49 yrs).I think it is the way to go for me as I try to reenter the walking scene after a lay off of 20yrs following raising my 3 non bushwalking kids. The comments from some of the longer term members is that over the past 2 years , they cannot believe the influx of new members with no sign of a drop off . I still do my own trips but I think it has been an excellent option and opened so many more doors for me .
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sarge » Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:11 am

We have a large and well established Melbourne bushwalkingwalking club that I am yet to join because membership requires first attending 2 Wed night 'social evenings' in town before you can attend even a day walk!! (which I logistically cannot do so hence have not 'joined' yet). Not sure if this is normal but it is rather frustrating. :?
sarge
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby sharon » Wed 20 Aug, 2008 5:55 pm

i have just come back to tassie/ now blessed to be managing a hostel!
i meet many hikers / climbers/ bikers . awesome guests.

for me i like to travel on my own ,and meet up with like minded ppl . on the track.
did this on the overland and freycinet. worked well. however if i decide to live here permanantly i would like to join a club and searc n rescue. . :mrgreen:
sharon
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby PeterJ » Wed 20 Aug, 2008 7:54 pm

In a small group/club. Was once was a member of a larger one but found it didn't suit me. It also often had too high a number on walks.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NickD » Thu 21 Aug, 2008 7:02 pm

I'm not.
Sometimes I wish I was. Sometimes its freakin impossible for me to find people to hike with, and when the weather is prime and I'm sitting at home because I didn't wanna hike alone - I get very upset.

Don't really know why I haven't - I'm probably a lot younger than the average age of most clubs, although I have no trouble being social with any age group, I guess I do like to do my own trip + invent my own routes.

Maybe I will - once I've settled in a certain location for a few years.
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Thu 21 Aug, 2008 8:49 pm

NickD ,
Don't have any angst ,talk to flyfisher who gets to walk at least every other Month with us from the BWT Strollers most of whom are NW Based as have been the walks and he has no problem starting on time with us up here .Our youngest member is 24 and oldest 63 ,we did not know each other B4 our walks but I consider them good mates now and we have been getting together since the 1st anniversary of the Forum way back then .
Dont by shy FF is coming NW this weekend for an overnighter so there is an opportunity for you to meet like minded.
Last edited by corvus on Fri 22 Aug, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby flyfisher » Fri 22 Aug, 2008 8:13 am

Sometimes its freakin impossible for me to find people to hike with, and when the weather is prime and I'm sitting at home because I didn't wanna hike alone - I get very upset.

Nick D ,you are more than welcome to come for a hike with the group of forum members who have called ourselves the Bushwalk Tasmania Strollers. 8) As Corvus said our ages are from 24 (STHughes) to 63 and we get on like old school mates.So any time you are available ,come along with us for a stroll. Transport from south is not a problem as I have spare seats in the Rangie. :wink: (I'm not a club member)

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 22 Aug, 2008 8:25 am

NickD wrote:Sometimes its freakin impossible for me to find people to hike with, and when the weather is prime and I'm sitting at home because I didn't wanna hike alone - I get very upset.

That's what our 'Find Walking Companions' forum is for! :D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mickeymoo » Fri 22 Aug, 2008 9:32 am

Im not in one either, I have considerd it several times but for me I don't think it would be of any great benifit as I prefer to walk alone or in a small group of 1 or 2 people (I know most people frown on solo walking) plus it makes taking photos easier as I can take my time :D
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Fri 22 Aug, 2008 3:53 pm

Mickymoo,
If we have a common destination it is possible to walk solo you just let the group start 30 mins b4 you do and meet up later .
We have a member who has done this(not by choice ,work constraints )and it works out OK just a thought for your consideration :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby NickD » Fri 22 Aug, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks for the invite guys!! I have awkward days off at times working in a shop thats open 7 days a week, but will make contact next time I'm searching for a trip!! :D
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DonQx » Sat 23 Aug, 2008 5:16 am

Nice discussion, good to see!

I've been thinking for quite some time that the future of bushwalking isn't about large organised clubs, but more about smaller fairly 'lose' groups and also a lot more about networks (if that's the right word) organised through forums like BW Tas.

Seems to better match the spirit of many bushwalkers.

Also heaps more flexible. Something that none of the larger clubs is good at as far as I can tell. Damn hard to organise trips at short notice, things are mostly planned & scheduled quite some time in advance.

Maybe there's also an element of personal preferences in it ... PeterJ's comment about large groups ... some people like to be social, 'the more the merrier' type philosophy, others are more introspective & into absorbing the walk/the bush/the joy of quiet company/... . Mesuspects that at this stage BW Tas attracts more of the second kind?, while larger clubs may have a larger share of the 'more/merrier' types?

Anyway ... good to have BW Tas ... it'll only grow & become better & better. Thx for setting it up & keeping it ticking over Nik & co.

:-) a.
Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mickeymoo » Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:24 pm

Corvus thats a good point, I guess being more informal than a club type meet it does allow more flexibility for each individual, I will have to try and make the drive up one day for one of the meets :D
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Find walking companions /are you in a walking club

Postby corvus » Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:26 pm

Just a thought !! the lergy prevented a few of us from the Lady Lake Hut walk ,who would like to do the top end of Lees to Wadley's this weekend,easy walking for the (sick and infirm) and will keep us below the snow line .
Lets see what we can do at short notice and for those who have never been there some intros to other tracks,this trip needs a Tent as the Hut is very small and may well be occupied by the owners .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby svEngineer » Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:32 pm

Launceston Walking Club - member for the last 10 years, great way to get out in the Bush in weather that you would normally stay at home in, and lo, it's not that bad.
svEngineer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 6:33 pm

DonQx wrote:Maybe there's also an element of personal preferences in it ... PeterJ's comment about large groups ... some people like to be social, 'the more the merrier' type philosophy, others are more introspective & into absorbing the walk/the bush/the joy of quiet company/... . Mesuspects that at this stage BW Tas attracts more of the second kind?, while larger clubs may have a larger share of the 'more/merrier' types?

Possibly. I'll have to think of ways of attracting club people here more, if that is the case, perhaps in cooperation with the clubs themselves, in some formal capacity. I'll have to see if any of the clubs would be interested in having their own sub-forum(s) here which they can moderate themselves, and possibly only club members would have access. That way they wouldn't have to run the entire thing themselves, either. I did have something like this suggested by one club member. hmmmm....

Anyway ... good to have BW Tas ... it'll only grow & become better & better. Thx for setting it up & keeping it ticking over Nik & co.

:-) a.

You're welcome! :D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PeterJ » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 8:28 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:.....if any of the clubs would be interested in having their own sub-forum(s) here ........

It would nicer to keep the forum open to all.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 8:42 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:.....if any of the clubs would be interested in having their own sub-forum(s) here ........

It would nicer to keep the forum open to all.

The forums would remain open to all, exactly as they are now. What I was considering is adding a new area specifically for clubs usage. There would be no change (noticable) for the public and forum members. The only restriction on non-club members would be that they couldn't post to the club area (unless specifically allowed by club moderators).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby abowen » Tue 09 Sep, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi All,
Member of the Pandani Club in Hobart. Small club, great bunch of people with like minded interests. Been a member for about five years. Joined originally so that I could gain experience walking in remote areas - I was concerned about safety and walking alone with relatively little experience. However, now and then, if there are particular areas that I want to get into I am more likely to network with others who want to do the same walk and trade off by doing a walk that they would like to do. It has worked so far.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Marky » Mon 15 Sep, 2008 4:34 pm

Hobart Walking club?? Ive only ever heard of Launceston Walking club??
What Where and When is the Hobart one held/all about??? I walk alone... but only cause my friends are all fat couchies!!!
Marky
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby BarryJ » Mon 15 Sep, 2008 4:39 pm

BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Taurë-rana » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:21 pm

I'm not in a walking club as due to circumstances I haven't really done much walking for the last 20 years, but I've started walking by myself which I enjoy (and I'm very careful) but it would be nice to walk with others to more remote or potentially dangerous places, and overnight. I like to choose where I am going when I walk, and it's awkward to walk at the weekend so that makes club walks harder.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Steve » Wed 24 Sep, 2008 9:02 pm

I've had a bit of a look around the web before, and from what I can tell these are all the Tassie clubs:
Hobart Walking Club
Launceston Walking Club
Northwest Walking Club
Pandani Bushwalking Club
Deloraine Walking Club
Launceston Ramblers Club
Eastern Shore Ramblers Club
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 9:56 am

Don't forget the search facility on this forum too -

Other Online Bushwalking Resources
Feel free to add / update it as you find links of use.

Personally, I am not in a group.
I did, on a recent walk to the Walls, witness the scramblings of a walking club group, going where the signs said don't go...

But I am sure they were using minimal impact practices, so that made it ok, right? Right??
Have I ever been off track? Yes. Have I ever led a group of 15 walkers off track explicitly against the recommendations of a Parks sign?
That's my point anyhow. Nothing against clubs, but they do need to be mindful that their actions don't always go unnoticed. There is a recognized track that led to their destination (not the one they're on).
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby walkinTas » Fri 07 Nov, 2008 12:25 am

There is a Bushwalking Clubs Category in the Wiki that would benefit from some help from club members and/or forum members who know the history of the different clubs.

Do you know of any clubs that have ceased to operate? Any history about walking clubs past or present would be great.

Does the Hobart University Bushwalking Club still exist?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion