Australian source of down

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Australian source of down

Postby andrewbish » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 10:26 am

I plan to make a down quilt (for winter use) shortly and it would be good to be able to get some of the materials locally.

Is anyone aware of Australian suppliers of down (suitable for sleeping bags and/or jackets)?
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Australian source of down

Postby dannnnn » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:28 am

pretty sure one planet will supply down fill.. have a look on their website
dannnnn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby andrewbish » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 8:40 pm

dannnnn wrote:pretty sure one planet will supply down fill.. have a look on their website

Hi Dannnn it's not obvious from their website. I will give them a call on Monday.
andrewbish

Postby andrewa » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 9:02 pm

I got one down from a pace in Braeside about 5yrs ago. Found it in the Yellow Pages. Can't recall its name. The only issue was that the down was not graded in ters of loft rating. It turned out to be pretty good quality though. Subsequent to that I to some 900 loft from ThruHiker in the US. It arrived promptly, and wasn't overly expensive. It's high lofting, but takes a while to loft up fully. I'd probably get more own from ThruHiker if I needed more.

A few years ago I put some posts on this forum, I think, about a made quilt and a technique I came across that allowed you to fill a quilt/bag with almost no mess.

And PS... Still haven't been out paddling.

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby andrewbish » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi Andrew

I think this might be the Braeside supplier: http://www.danisheiderdowns.com.au/
I will try them on Monday.

I got the materials for a synth quilt I made from ThruHiker. Very happy with their products and pricing but the freight costs were steep (~$45), thus my interest in finding suppliers in Oz

I read your quilt threads - really helpful.
andrewbish

Postby andrewa » Sun 21 Apr, 2013 8:49 am

Yes, that looks like the place.

Its a fun project. Surprisingly easy.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewbish » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 2:15 pm

I can confirm that http://www.danisheiderdowns.com.au/ will supply down. You just need to specify fill power and grams.

I also checked with One Planet, but the receptionist said that don't supply down.
andrewbish

Postby ofuros » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 3:59 pm

Very handy to know for future projects....nice detective work fellas. 8-)

via the information highway.......
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby andrewa » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 8:07 pm

Don't expect to get 700 loft plus down, but, as I said, I was pleased with the stuff I got. Sorry about the spelling/ word issues with my previous post - it comes from using an iPad. The other day spellcheck turned Raratonga into Rats tongs!

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewbish » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:43 pm

andrewa wrote:Don't expect to get 700 loft plus down,
Andrew A

When I asked for 800 fill power down, I was told they had it. In any event, I will give it a burl - the price is right (~$8/oz). Just ordered the M50 quilt material from Thru-hiker..
andrewbish

Postby andrewa » Wed 24 Apr, 2013 7:18 am

Wow!
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 11:46 am

A while ago I found a DYI vid for a baffled quilt with a foot box that might be helpful (I'm probably telling you how to suck eggs though form the sounds of things!) Post some pics of your construction methods please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GARymjolBks

Edit - after checking out a couple of related MYOG vids I just realised this was Evan from Terrarosagear, whom I think is a forum member?

Edit - how do you work out what quantity of fill is needed for a particular temperature rating? Are there charts with weight of down per (designated) area ratios available? Or do you measure loft? I have read the distinctions between, say 650 and 800 fill etc, but not sure how this relates to practically filling the baffles, and how much you'd have to order for a particular project. Just mulling over having a go making my own quilt for my son when I get him a hammock in the future.....
Last edited by Onestepmore on Sun 28 Apr, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 12:00 pm

Does it specifically need to be Australian, or are you more interested in ethical-sourcing?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewbish » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 2:54 pm

Onestepmore wrote:A while ago I found a DYI vid for a baffled quilt with a foot box that might be helpful (I'm probably telling you how to suck eggs though form the sounds of things!) Post some pics of your construction methods please?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GARymjolBks
Edit - after checking out a couple of related MYOG vids I just realised this was Evan from Terrarosagear, whom I think is a forum member?
Edit - how do you work out what quantity of fill is needed for a particular temperature rating? Are there charts with weight of down per (designated) area ratios available? Or do you measure loft? I have read the distinctions between, say 650 and 800 fill etc, but not sure how this relates to practically filling the baffles, and how much you'd have to order for a particular project. Just mulling over having a go making my own quilt for my son when I get him a hammock in the future.....

Hi there, OneStepMore

I will use a few different sources for inspiration on the process of making a down quilt:

Andrew
PS> I always wondered: why would anyone want to suck eggs?
andrewbish

Postby andrewbish » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 2:56 pm

Strider wrote:Does it specifically need to be Australian, or are you more interested in ethical-sourcing?

Can't speak for others, but I wanted local suppliers so as to avoid international freight costs.
andrewbish

Postby Strider » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 2:58 pm

andrewbish wrote:
Strider wrote:Does it specifically need to be Australian, or are you more interested in ethical-sourcing?

Can't speak for others, but I wanted local suppliers so as to avoid international freight costs.

Try this crowd? They might be able to point you in the right direction, if nothing else.

http://www.quiltpillowfactory.com.au/ht ... e/home.asp

Moonee Ponds
148 Pascoe Vale Road
Moonee Ponds VIC 3039
Ph: (03) 93 703 555
Fax: (03) 93 709 691
email: [email protected]
Last edited by Strider on Sun 28 Apr, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 2:58 pm

Cool, thanks Bisho
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 8:37 pm

I wouldn't know how to suck eggs. My recollection was that they get "blown". My wife has done that ....when making Easter eggs.....

OSM, A quilt is really easy to make, presuming you know how to sew, and that you have worked out the basic size.

Delete all you have read about differential cut, diagonal baffles, cross block baffles, side baffles, foot box designs etc. KISS works.

Years ago I made 2 differentially cut sleeping bags, with varied baffle directions ( long axis on chest, short access across legs), with side baffle, zip baffles, AND seamless 2 ply goretex outers. Intellectually challenging to make. Satisfying to make. Worked fine, but bulky/heavy (~2kg each)

But I now sleep under a home made quilt which has normal vertical baffles, no side baffle ( so I can make it warmer of cooler dependent on where I am), and a draw string around the bottom,to make a foot box when needed. Perfect, even in mid Winter in the snow (with various insulating layers inside).

Hammocking......... I tried a home made UQ last year in NZ in Jan (~10 min). Was cold. The only time I was warm was using my initially described sleeping bag with a thermarest under it in temps down to about 7c......or turfing the hammock,,and sleeping on my packraft with a minimal quilt at 10c. I reckon hammocks, whilst comfy, drops about 5-7c in usable temperature.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:23 pm

By the time you pay freight from 2 suppliers (1 for down and 1 for the fabric) you may as well pay the $45 from thru-hiker and be sure of getting top quality down and fabrics. You are most probably going to get the fabric from the US anyway. I have built a quilt using thru-hiker's package of materials and down and as Andrewa says it is quite easy. I do suggest a box foot created with an opening 40 cm zip on the sides and drawstring on the bottom edge so that the quilt can either be flat (zip undone) or have the box foot. I find the box foot helps in colder conditions and helps keep the quilt in place ( am a restless side sleeper). You need to add a baffle width to the length of the bag if you do this.

quilt foot.jpg
Quilt foot

To calculate the amount of down in each baffle calculate the volume of the baffle (easiest in cu inches) divided by the fill power of the down and add 10% (add 20% or a bit more for overfill if you want).
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby andrewbish » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 11:23 pm

Mark F wrote:By the time you pay freight from 2 suppliers (1 for down and 1 for the fabric) you may as well pay the $45 from thru-hiker and be sure of getting top quality down and fabrics. You are most probably going to get the fabric from the US anyway.

Not quite, Mark. As mentioned above there is a Melbourne outlet where you can get 800 fill power down at $8/Oz. At that price i will get extra down for over stuffing. The ultralight fabric I am still getting from thru-hiker.
andrewbish

Postby Mark F » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 8:32 am

I keep forgetting that people actually live where they can pick up stuff. Doesn't happen in Canberra.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:47 am

andrewa wrote:I wouldn't know how to suck eggs. My recollection was that they get "blown". My wife has done that ....when making Easter eggs.....

Lol, now that sounds like the sort of reply I might have written...... :wink:

Etymology of 'How To Suck Eggs'
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 602AAkg84E

I think a quilt may be my first proper bushwalking DIY project. I'm an experienced sewer and until a few years ago, made garments, and many patchwork tops and quilts (some French style ones are currently hanging on my walls). I have the necessary skills and the sewing equipment is there, but currently buried under sleeping bags and miscellaneous hiking 'stuff' in the spare room!
You've inspired me to get it out and organised this winter. It looks fun. Thanks for the tips and the resource links guys!
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby madmacca » Tue 07 May, 2013 3:55 pm

Onestepmore wrote:Edit - how do you work out what quantity of fill is needed for a particular temperature rating? Are there charts with weight of down per (designated) area ratios available? Or do you measure loft? I have read the distinctions between, say 650 and 800 fill etc, but not sure how this relates to practically filling the baffles, and how much you'd have to order for a particular project. Just mulling over having a go making my own quilt for my son when I get him a hammock in the future.....

Try playing around with the Make Your Own Bag software at http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/customsleepingbags.php and see what different design features and fill amounts do.
madmacca

Postby Strider » Tue 07 May, 2013 4:04 pm

madmacca wrote:
Onestepmore wrote:Edit - how do you work out what quantity of fill is needed for a particular temperature rating? Are there charts with weight of down per (designated) area ratios available? Or do you measure loft? I have read the distinctions between, say 650 and 800 fill etc, but not sure how this relates to practically filling the baffles, and how much you'd have to order for a particular project. Just mulling over having a go making my own quilt for my son when I get him a hammock in the future.....

Try playing around with the Make Your Own Bag software at http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/customsleepingbags.php and see what different design features and fill amounts do.

Our Design Your Own Sleeping Bag site is currently being redeveloped.

In the mean time check out our main site, where you'll find lots of ways to customise our bags, including widths and lengths.

If you still can't find what you're looking for contact us and we'll try to accommodate.

Best wishes

The PHD Team
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby madmacca » Tue 07 May, 2013 5:40 pm

Damn, that's what I get for going by memory rather than rechecking the site myself.
madmacca

Postby andrewbish » Thu 16 May, 2013 8:33 pm

andrewbish wrote:I can confirm that http://www.danisheiderdowns.com.au/ will supply down. You just need to specify fill power and grams.

I picked up 400g of 800 fill power goose down today from the above supplier. I paid $120.

He also told me that due to some form of avian flu in China, worldwide down prices had just risen. In fact, he said his own prices will be up by 45% effective immediately. (I just missed the increase)
andrewbish

Postby blacksheep » Thu 16 May, 2013 8:45 pm

andrewbish wrote:
andrewbish wrote:I can confirm that http://www.danisheiderdowns.com.au/ will supply down. You just need to specify fill power and grams.

I picked up 400g of 800 fill power goose down today from the above supplier. I paid $120.

He also told me that due to some form of avian flu in China, worldwide down prices had just risen. In fact, he said his own prices will be up by 45% effective immediately. (I just missed the increase)

not heard the avian flu story. It's just that there is unprecedented demand for down. In Japan alone, one clothing retailer (uniqlo) are doing around 1.5m units of jackets per year..i think we'll see a LOT of work in synthetic fill products at upcoming outdoor shows- touted as advances in synthetic technology, but really a marketed response to the difficulties in rising down pricing.
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby andrewa » Thu 16 May, 2013 8:59 pm

Enjoy the process Andrew B. I filled my last quilt on a Saturday morning in our bedroom with the technique shown, and made no mess.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear