Thread for sewing MYO projects

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Thread for sewing MYO projects

Postby andrewa » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 7:43 pm

Having just read Simonm's post about MYO hammock, I note the comment about using Gutterman "Sew All" thread....some thoughts about this......

When I first started making gear in the 80s, back when Andrew King of "Aiking", now "One Planet" ........was working as a shop assistant in Mountain Designs with me ( I was also a mere shop assistant, albeit Medical Student), one of the other gear modifiers of the times, whose name I can remember, told me about thread called Koban 26, or similar, which, at that time was the ultimate thread, but only available on cone, and not from your local Habby shop, which mostly seems Gutterman

Subsequent to this I went to my local haberdashery wholesaler, and convinced them that as I had a BSB number ( even though it was for my medical practice) so they would sell me stuff wholesale.

So, I ended up with 2 cones of black thread, at about $20 each (and then another CB60 in white)......

IPCABOND CB60, 4500m, CRL 56947, 100%PA

and

IPCABOND CB40, 3000m, CRL 55679, 100%PA

The CB 60 is thinner, and perfect for normal sewing. Significantly stronger than your normal Spotlight/Lyncraft Gutterman.
The CB 40 is like a slightly thinner version of the Gutterman Button thread available in above stores, but I cannot break it with my hands. It is perfect for sewing on shoulder straps etc where a lot of force may be applied. It won't break under normal load. I use the CB 60 for most, and the CB 40 for reinforcements, or structural stuff.

And, if you're sewing a fair bit, the price of a 3-4500m cone at about $20 is insignifant compared with the price of a 100 or 500 m spool from local Habby shop....

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: Thread for sewing MYO projects

Postby simonm » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 8:21 pm

That's interesting Andrew. Most of what I have read recommends 100% polyester thread and usually Gutermann.

Gutermann does come in different strengths, Mara and Tera, though I have just gone with what was at hand which is the Sew-All and the Gutermann Upholstery thread which I use for the tree straps.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 8:33 pm

Andrew, were you working with Michael when it was the store behind Greater Union?
That's the good ol days when Ralph ( Geoff Weigand) was working with young Robby at Paddies, Helen at Kathmandu, and carrots were cutting edge!
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none
Region: New South Wales

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 8:33 pm

Gutterman - waiting for Roger to "chime" in..................
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby andrewa » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 8:36 pm

Kanangraboyd , I was working in the Melb store ...

And it was Steve someone.....

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 9:14 pm

Koban from memory was a polyester core with a spun cotton sheath. It was the main thread used at Paddymade in the 70's and 80's. The beauty of the thread was the strength of the core with the "expand when wet" properties of the cotton sheath. This was an important factor in sewing the old japara tents and added to the waterproofness of the packs. The main canvas (from Bradmills) used for packs was woven with a similar cotton core spun polyester yarn - just forgotten the name it went by.

Edit - I just went googling for the name of the canvas but came across this image. Me when I was a bit younger - I never knew this existed.
paddymade catalogue.JPG
Last edited by Mark F on Mon 28 Oct, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby simonm » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 9:18 pm

I see in a thread on BPL Roger recommends Rasant thread.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 4:22 am

I've always just used standard Gütterman, or the heavier duty version for sewing packcloth. So far, so good.
What problems should I expect will someday occur as a result of this choice?
What types of failures have been observed?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby rcaffin » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 7:42 pm

KANANGRABOYD wrote:Gutterman - waiting for Roger to "chime" in..................

Chuckle.

I use Gutermann for making windshirts and trousers. It does wear out.
I use Rasant 120 for tents, except where I use Rasant 70 for critical seams.
I also use Rasant 120 for quilts or SBs.
I use a bonded nylon (much stronger) for packs. That has to be done with an old black Singer.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 7:50 pm

So, what's the difference between Ipcabond and Rasant?.....

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 8:56 pm

rcaffin wrote:
KANANGRABOYD wrote:Gutterman - waiting for Roger to "chime" in..................

Chuckle.

I use Gutermann for making windshirts and trousers. It does wear out.
I use Rasant 120 for tents, except where I use Rasant 70 for critical seams.
I also use Rasant 120 for quilts or SBs.
I use a bonded nylon (much stronger) for packs. That has to be done with an old black Singer.

Cheers

Roger do you mean Rasant 75 rather than 70?

Also there is a Rasant WR (water repellant finish) is this preferable for outdoor gear?
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 1:44 pm

I found this link for people interested in purchasing some of the Rasant thread mentioned above. Seems well priced. http://raymondtraders.com/rasant.html

I will be picking some up to try.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Sat 20 Sep, 2014 8:21 am

I thought I would add to this old thread for people who stumble across it.

I have now moved to using Amann's Serafil thread, which is the same company who make the Rasant thread mentioned by Roger above (polyester/cotton core spun). I didn't get to try the Rasant thread but I was impressed by the Serafil when I tested it. The Serafil is a continuous filament polyester thread with a very high tensile strength, and I found it very easy to sew with. Unfortunately I think you can only get this if you buy multiple spools. I use Serafil 40 (tex 70) for tarps and hammocks etc, and for lighter weight fabrics I will probably be moving to Serafil 60 (tex 45) or 80 (tex 30), or I would be happy using Gutermanns Mara 70.

For sewing webbing for hammock tree straps I will be using a bonded polyester thread in this case Solbond 30 (tex 100) which is made by Gutermanns, the Solbond has a very similar tensile strength to the Serafil and is a continuous filament polyester thread but is bonded, and is a bit more robust when sewing through my webbing which has quite a tight weave, and I had separation issues with the heavier Serafil. I have also used Gutermanns Tera thread for my webbing and it was also fine but I find the Solbond superior in strength and abrasion resistance.

The Sew all mentioned above which you can purchase at Spotlight is Mara 100 I believe and is tex 30.

This is also a good link on thread - http://www.ylicorp.com/cpanel/document/a_thread_of_truth.pdf
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 20 Sep, 2014 10:40 am

Simon which of those you mentioned would be good for my pack. I'm sewing and taping the cuben and sewing the cordura
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Sat 20 Sep, 2014 11:27 am

Hi Mic,

I want to preface this by saying I only know a little more than I used to know, which wasn't a lot but from what I know now. I think you would be pretty safe with Tera 40, or Solbond 40 or even the Serafil 40. There would also be other threads like Nylbond (bonded nylon) and Dabond (bonded polyester) by Coats.

The Solbond is a newish thread promoted for sail making so has a high resistance to UV and the elements. If you want to go down this path I can pass on the details of a good local supplier in NSW. It's a decent size spool though so it will last you a while.

I will be stocking Tera 40 soon on 400metre spools, and this will be coming from Gutermanns in India, along with Solbond 30 for my own use.

Spotlight also has Gutermann upholstery thread which looks slightly heavier than Tera 40, so may be Tera 30 rebranded but that could work.

Just make sure you use new needles sized to the thread and experiment with what size works with those fabrics.

Hope that helps.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks Simon. The NSW supplier would be good otherwise whats the eta for your thread. I've got an amazing sewing center near me locally so I'll see what they've got when I pick up some more needles. I invisiage going through a few with that cuben lol
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:45 pm

ETA for the Tera is probably 1-2 weeks.

Your local sewing store may surprise with what they have in stock. I know mine has ipcabond, and rasant.

I will send you the contact email for the Solbond supplier later on today.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 9:12 am

I have run into logistical issues with getting the Tera thread, so I am now investigating Rogers recommendation of Rasant 75 and 120 thread.

andrewa wrote:So, what's the difference between Ipcabond and Rasant?.....
A

Ipcabond is a high tenacity continuous filament nylon thread and Rasant is a polyester cotton core spun thread.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tacblades » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 5:08 am

I have read loads about this in the recent months,
in the end I use normal gutermann 100% polyester thread for seams and edges
a straight stitch can break under strain, so I always give a slight zigzag and it holds under heavy load.

On tieouts and loops for tension I use the Gutermann Extra Strong polyester thread, I have tested this on tieouts and it holds my bodyweight bouncing on it.

ImageImageImage
Tacblades
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ElvenCraft Gear » Sat 22 Nov, 2014 12:36 pm

Just be carefull with the stitch length when sewing.
It's great to use really strong thread, but more isn't always better.
If you look at the photo on the previous post it's a beautiful job (well done ! ), especially the zigzag and precision of lines.
BUT
While the tag will handle it, the short stitch length can make the parent material zip tear like the page in a spiral binder.
This is a particular problem when sewing slippery stuff like Silnylon on a domestic machine, because it is so slippery you can pull it backwards while the sewing feed dogs are trying to grip it and move it the stitch length forward.
The above material looks like Urethane coated 70 denier, so it's probably not a big issue, but it's a good illustration of different stitches.
The most valuable items in your hiking kit are knowledge, experience, and improvisation.
Everything else is luxury.
ElvenCraft Gear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Elvencraft Wilderness Gear

Postby Lamont » Wed 07 Oct, 2020 8:54 am

Came across this thread :D looking for something else DIY related and.......
I have been recommended Rasant 75 for some DIY use.
I know a two very highly accomplished DIYers overseas that have used it on a DCF 35L rucksack for the PCT, app 2000kms, before a break and tent tie outs without fail in pretty extreme conditions. As it's been a while since it popped up and is available at TG what's the verdict on it's strength by anyone in this thread or from outside on use since the posts above were made? I really like the Rasant 125 I've been chewing through -it seems good stuff.
Not asking about it's composition and I would prefer the R 50, but can't see it anywhere.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Return to Make Your Own Gear