Getting started in DIY

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Getting started in DIY

Postby taipan821 » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 11:26 am

Hello all.

I've recently purchased a sewing machine and want to get into making some simple gear.

My question is two part
1. how do people start their projects? do you make a pattern first, make it in cheap fabric first?
2. is it worthwhile having some parts/fabric on hand or just order it in when you need it and what components do you recommend having on hand? (buckles, zips stuff like that)

thanks for the input
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Getting started in DIY

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 12:26 pm

LW tape, 25mm webbing 20mm webbing 3bar sliders, triangles and looplock buckles to suit and a selection of thread and sharp needles
A small tarp is a good first project as all you do is sew up the edges and add tie-outs but small ditty bags and stuff sacks use less material and are good practice
Clothing I use commercial patterns Other stuff I guess i make it up as I go along That won't work for tents and stuff tho
PM coming your way
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby andrewa » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 6:29 pm

I design things in my head, then draw them on paper with dimensions, and then just Mark it out on the fabric I use.

Buy what you need. It won't take you long to end up with extra stuff! And you soon realise that buying things in larger quantity is cheaper, at which stage you end up with lots more than you need.

My best advice is to buy thread on a cone from a haberdashery supplier. You can buy 3-4000m for about $20.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 10:36 am

andrewa wrote:
My best advice is to buy thread on a cone from a haberdashery supplier. You can buy 3-4000m for about $20.

A

If you buy bonded nylon sewing thread it pays to take you machine to an expert sewing machine mechanic and have it professionally adjusted to this thread. If you need to use a different polyester thread get a second machine
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taipan821 » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 9:22 am

I got a good score over the weekend, getting a singer sewing machine and an overlocker from a family member for free on the condition that I look after them and help with simple sewing jobs, I know the large cones of thread are for overlockers more than sewing machines so at the moment, sticking to gutterman polyester thread
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 10:00 am

No The large cones of thread are for ordinary sewing machines, you do need an adapter to use them, but the adapter only costs a few dollars or an easy DIY job Overlockers use a different cone size
Nice score tho but I do advise getting them serviced and buying a lot of new needles and bobbins, get a bobbin holder and wind a dozen or so before you start; there is something very frustrating about getting half way through a seam and having to stop; unthread and wind a bobbin
Gutterman is OK stuff just very expensive once you start using 1000s of metres of thread. Sewing tarps you do start o use a lot of thread
On my battledress pants rebuild I used 3 Gutterman reels of the middle strength [ so called upholstery thread] thread
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taipan821 » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 1:33 pm

currently looking for the singer service manual on the web, If I can do the service myself ( I like learning) it'll help keep costs down, the overlocker has never been touched (still in the box) so that is something that I'll take to a service centre so they can show me how to use it.

Since I like having boxes to store relevant pieces in I need to set up a sewing machine box, basically a tool/tackle box which will have all the important components for the running of the sewing machine (needles, oil, grease, tools, various fabric feet, spare parts etc)

As for Bobbins I'm still working out a way to store the various threads (don't like the current solutions out there) but the plan is having a bobbin per spool of thread, already wound ready to go. I'll also have another look at the cones of thread, maybe they'll be project purchases rather than on-hand supplies
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 1:57 pm

Which Singer sewing machine did you get? I have manuals for the 99 and 201 I think.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 2:25 pm

I wind bobbins equal to the spool of thread I am using, with the upholstery thread that was 4 bobbins per spool, `25 to 30 metres per bobbin
There is 5k metres of thread on a cone of Venus 60M, 3k on the 40M cone, most domestic machines can work with M40 when adjusted. Venus works out about 1% of the cost of the Gutterman and is much stronger
Gutterman upholstery was $8- per 100m spool, I only bought it Because I was in a hurry to get the pants done rather than waiting 2 weeks for delivery of a cone

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bonded-Nylon ... 6yORc8ah7A
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 7:35 pm

My old (34yo) Janome holds the thread on a short vertical rod. This also works for a cone, as it can be made longer by putting a plastic pen casing over the rod , although I don't usually bother.

As to needles, if you can find 18g leather point needles, they will push through multiple layers of webbing, especially with some hand help on the wheel of the sewing machine, so they are great for rucksacks etc. For most heavier nylon plus a layer of webbing or so, then I use a 16g leather point needle, and for sewing lighter materials, a normal 12-14g needle. The 18g needles are hard to find BTW.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby taipan821 » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 9:56 pm

andrewa wrote:.

As to needles, if you can find 18g leather point needles, they will push through multiple layers of webbing, especially with some hand help on the wheel of the sewing machine, so they are great for rucksacks etc. For most heavier nylon plus a layer of webbing or so, then I use a 16g leather point needle, and for sewing lighter materials, a normal 12-14g needle. The 18g needles are hard to find BTW.

A

I'm mostly looking at lightweight stuff, don't really want to run really thick fabrics through my sewing machine.
Simonm, I'll have a look and get back to you with regards to what sewing machine I have.

I should also just cut some fabric and make something, Spotlight had some polyester outdoor fabric on sale, sole ripstop nylon and I picked up some insulbright insulation material to experiment with.
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 13 Dec, 2016 8:28 am

Even UL stuff can have a lot of layers and a tarp needs tie-outs so even an UL tarp will need to have webbing sewn onto /into it.
Most small machines will handle that with no problems. If your machine does a zig-zag you can fudge an effective bar-tack easily enough too
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taipan821 » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 8:31 pm

as I read this thread, I'm just getting more and more recommendations of things I should have on hand...looks like I need to rethink how I'm going to organise everything
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Scottyk » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 8:40 pm

Just decide on what you want to make then email Simon at Tier Gear and he'll tell you what you need to buy to make it.
I have got lots of stuff from Simon and he knows what's required. The sewing side is just practice, youtube is a great resource!
Don't expect miracles on your first project. It takes time to get used to your machine and how it feels and performs.
Good luck
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:26 am

Be warned, after you get the bug you may find yourself trolling Op-Shops for old satchels and cheap rucksacks to salvage the fabric, buckles and loops etc
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taipan821 » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 12:47 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Be warned, after you get the bug you may find yourself trolling Op-Shops for old satchels and cheap rucksacks to salvage the fabric, buckles and loops etc

Just ordered some machine needles for my sewing machine from Taiwan, about about 200 of them going from 9 gauge to 24 gauge (gotta have spares right?)
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby taipan821 » Fri 23 Dec, 2016 1:17 pm

just using this thread for something else...what would be the best method of cutting nylon, quite a few articles I've read recommend a hot knife/soldering iron to cut and seal the fabric
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 4:27 pm

Hot knife if you can afford one. Scissors and a BIC lighter also works and sewing shops sell a light glue that stops sleazy fabric from unravelling.

Hows the sewing going? You can send my books back any time now, well the Gerry anyway
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear