Re-filling a synthetic puffer jacket

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Re-filling a synthetic puffer jacket

Postby Osik » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 8:28 am

Hi all
I’ve got an old MD bonfire, a relic from when they were making activity specific gear! I love the jacket but I’d like to add some extra fill to the panels to try and beef up the warmth. Wondering:
1. Is there anywhere local I could source some primaloft or other synthetic fill? Open to using down as an alternative if that’s easier to source.
2. Best way of going about adding the fill - guessing either unpicking a seam or making a neat slice & stuffing? I’ve re-filled a sleeping bag before with down so have rudimentary though no higher skills.
Cheers!
Last edited by Osik on Tue 18 Aug, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Re: Re-filling a synthetic down jacket

Postby Lamont » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 10:31 am

'A synthetic down jacket'- are you saying it's mixed?
Would be easier to top up down than something like Apex or Thinsulate I would have thought.
Sounds like a logistical nightmare if it's mixed.
Apex is best and not hard to get but exy from OS.
A person on here a while back said they bought down from Tiergear if that's any help.
Or buy some Thinsulate from Moondog (if he is still selling it) and lightly stitch a layer (Gillet) inside.
Or make a Thinsulate Gillet and wear it underneath?-My preference.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Re-filling a synthetic puffer jacket

Postby Osik » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 10:58 am

Thanks Lamont I’ve edited the topic title to make it’s clear it’s a synthetic jacket. I’d prefer to add synthetic fill, was hoping there might be somewhere else local now that tiergear is no longer doing diy insulation. Was just a thought that if down was easier to source that I could make a mixed jacket but it’s probably not a great idea insulation wise.
Cheers
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Re-filling a synthetic down jacket

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 11:05 am

The thing is you can't usually "Top-Up" a synthetic insulated garment.
Synthetic insulation is manufactured at the optimum density and you manage insulation levels by increasing the weight of the fill.
PrimaLoft is stitched to the liner or shell and then the garment is assembled and stitched together.
To increase the fill weight would mean taking the garment apart and doing a lot of stitching.
Do you use it as designed? That is as a belay parka over the top of your normal layers when stopped to give an immediate warm layer to stop fast cooling when dressed for high activity?
I'm with Lamont, add an extra layer to your system and happy to sell you a metre or two of Thinsulate
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Re-filling a synthetic puffer jacket

Postby Osik » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 11:51 am

Thanks for informative reply MD, I just assumed that it’d be possible to buy insulation that you could stuff in a la down rather than sewing in sheets. Yep, mostly using as a belay jacket but also occasionally around camp when it tends to be a little cold if I haven’t been moving. Hence the thought of beefing it up. Cheers too for your kind offer of the insulation, I’ll have a think about what I want to do and let you know if I’m interested.
R
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear