Desktop version
Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.
Post a reply

Refill / add fill to down jacket

Mon 26 Jul, 2021 11:50 am

Hi folks,

I have an old (~20+year) Mont Icicle downie that could do with a bit of a refresh :)

I have had a look around both here and on the broader interwebs for any guidance but not found anything in particular that would help with my question which is..

Has anyone got any guidance or advice on a reasonable way to add fill to an existing jacket? Looking at the stitching pattern this might have to be done by cutting a slit, adding fill, sewing / gluing shut.

Any advice, experience, etc anyone could share?

I've never worked with down before, so any pointers on working with down generally also gratefully received :)

TIA

Re: Refill / add fill to down jacket

Mon 26 Jul, 2021 12:13 pm

First off has it been washed, dried and them warm tumbled for a while?
If not that is the first thing to do.
Look for a line of stitching with a French seam along the inner sleeve and at the sides of the jacket torso, those seams are the ones that are usually sewn shut after the down is stuffed into the baffles and where you would open up to refill.
My own big down parka is even older and so far I don't need to top it up but it has been washed a few times. Turn the parka inside out and post pix of the internal seams, it might then be possible to indicate which seams to unpick

Mon 26 Jul, 2021 3:48 pm

Yeah has had a clean and dry and puffle :)

I'll get some pics together tonight and upload.

Thu 03 Feb, 2022 9:39 am

What happened here?
Did you decide to buy new or did you send it away for a professional refurbishment?

Wed 16 Feb, 2022 1:22 pm

I am also interested (just purchased one as well).

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when they stopped selling the older blue model (this colour: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0022/ ... 1631081724)?
Or does anyone know what changes have been made over the years?

Wed 16 Feb, 2022 1:44 pm

Mont has or seems to have had sizing issues over the years but the basic style is the same as it has been for decades.
The new version came in last year as far as I know so they still have some old blue ones on clearance
Post a reply