High exit vent in a tent?

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

High exit vent in a tent?

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 08 Aug, 2021 2:39 pm

Not sure if I'll do it but maybe if time and ooomph permits.
The tape sealing on my old purple and green Plateau has just given out and I've pulled it all off. At the same time the polyurethane coating is starting to become sticky although it has; as yet; no smell.
Lately I've had a few condensation issues, not just with this tent, and I've been wondering for a while if it was worth my time and money to put a top vent in it and formalise the extra fly I've been using as a cap over it to keep the UV off. I've reproofed a few tents from the outside with generally good success but never tried to put silicon directly over PU.
Has anybody tried any of the Nikwax products on the PU coated side of waterproof nylon?
These hybrid dome/tunnel tents are pretty much bombproof under normal High Country winter conditions but this one is now relegated to base camping due to the weight.
Looking for anybody who's done this or attempted to do this for sizing and shape help before I make a decision
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: High exit vent in a tent?

Postby telemarktim » Sun 08 Aug, 2021 4:21 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Not sure if I'll do it but maybe if time and ooomph permits.
The tape sealing on my old purple and green Plateau has just given out and I've pulled it all off. At the same time the polyurethane coating is starting to become sticky although it has; as yet; no smell.
Lately I've had a few condensation issues, not just with this tent, and I've been wondering for a while if it was worth my time and money to put a top vent in it and formalise the extra fly I've been using as a cap over it to keep the UV off. I've reproofed a few tents from the outside with generally good success but never tried to put silicon directly over PU.
Has anybody tried any of the Nikwax products on the PU coated side of waterproof nylon?
These hybrid dome/tunnel tents are pretty much bombproof under normal High Country winter conditions but this one is now relegated to base camping due to the weight.
Looking for anybody who's done this or attempted to do this for sizing and shape help before I make a decision

Hi Moondog, What area of venting were you thinking of? I have tried a small vent in the top of my pyramid combined with one near ground level and they don't improve things noticeably.

A lot of warm air rushes out the vent, but heavy condensation forms when conditions are right for its formation. Even leaving the full-length door open does not stop it! Sorry, I can't be more positive.
Tim
telemarktim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: High exit vent in a tent?

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 08 Aug, 2021 4:45 pm

Upper vent needs to be double the entry size I guess but as that could be cinched right down, maybe a triangle 100mm across the bottom and 150mm high on either side of the peak. The tent is double skin and effectively triple skin with the fly over the external frame.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Make Your Own Gear