Joining Tyvek

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Joining Tyvek

Postby ggorgeman » Tue 09 Nov, 2021 3:55 pm

I have some offcuts of tyvek and was thinking of making a coupe of small/med sized storage bags. Any suggestions re joins/seams? Best to sew or use glue for joins?
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Joining Tyvek

Postby EGM » Tue 09 Nov, 2021 4:13 pm

I looked into this recently but haven't gotten around to making anything yet.

Apparently tyvek tape is the best but it's very expensive and the next alternative seemed to be duct tape. I am planning on trying with some black gorilla tape.

Keen to hear what others have had success with.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 09 Nov, 2021 6:51 pm

I've not tried sewing it, but that should work pretty well, I have some travel cubes that are made that way. Good quality flexible CA glue will stick to it, but you end up with a pretty crunchy seam, and its hard to get it a consistent width. Tape works, but heat and time will decide how long that lasts.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Tortoise » Tue 09 Nov, 2021 9:56 pm

I've made some drawstring bags by sewing them. I used a large stitch to make less holes in the Tyvek. Been using them for a couple of years, working fine.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby craigprice » Wed 13 Apr, 2022 6:11 pm

I’ve done some experimenting - I recommend that you just stitch. Please avoid glues and tapes it’s a road to disappointment for diy’ers and could be quite uncomfortable (eg tarp of bivy failure in the bush).
Most double sided tapes available retail in shops or online are not good enough, they tend to fail in use.
Tyvek tape (the real deal) is on its own not enough and is best applied for lazy seam sealing over stitches - it’s like a stiff tenacious tape thought
But good ol’ seam seal glue is lighter and better for sealing

Spray on glues only work if both sides are sprayed, which while great for bonding, is an absolute nightmare to handle
I can validate (unfortunately) that if you spray glue only on one side then bond, it fails in use quickly and completely - the tyvek just peels away

I strongly recommend that you sew. You don’t have to learn a flat fell seam, just a simple double roll with one stitch will do, and if you waterproof, some seal seal glue

Please also see the site ultralighthiker.com by a Victorian who has pioneered a few tyvek designs plus tests his work out for real in the bush - bit different to most YouTube videos by people who clearly have never put their ideas or post into practice and had to rely on them in the real world, because many just don’t work.
craigprice
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Avatar » Thu 14 Apr, 2022 4:47 pm

I've used PVA to glue pieces together for a tarp and for hemming. Has held up OK. Tarp has copped 20 hours of 25+kmh gusting wind. I glued both pieces and pressed together till dry. Not sure about getting it wet. I use it as a shade.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear